“fish is great”

Charcoal Oven Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcoal Oven Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #97 of 211 Restaurants in Skokie
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 25, 2014

One of our favorite neighborhood spots. Steaks and chops are great, but fish is very impressive. Skate, Pike, always fresh. Plain, broiled or sauteed with wonderful flavors.

3  Thank dfutransky

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We, like most reviewers of this restaurant, have been driving by the fabulous neon sign for years. For me, it was 22 years. Finally, we decided to get a group of drivers-by together and try it out. A dark and snowy evening allowed us a true and intimate experience, as many stayed closer to home.
Soup to nuts, it was fantastic! We were there from 6:30 - 12:00 - We made ourselves at home.
The food, cocktails and wine selection was excellent, fresh and hot, tasty and varied. No one in our 10 person party was disappointed or had menu-envy. Everyone thought they had the best meal.
The owners were available, friendly and generous. When we left the bar, in a cab, I said to the owner, "I feel as if I am saying goodbye to friends in a house. This feels like home." She was touched and came around the bar to hug us all goodbye. We will be back with large parties and small and we will overstay our welcome, as you are allowed, in a friend's home.
The

2  Thank CWilmette
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This restaurant is a throwback to the 1950's steakhouse/roadhouse. While there used to be quite a few places like this, it is virtually the only one left in the immediate area. The others have fallen victim to condo developments. Others were supplanted by chain restaurants. This one remains independent and it shows. We hadn't been here for a long time and decided to go with friends who had never dined here. We had a wonderful dinner. Everything is very fresh and homemade, including the desserts. The preparation of most dishes is in the Greek style and very flavorful. The food, visit to visit is consistently excellent. The preparations while not involved, start with really the best quality ingredients and it shows. The owners are very friendly and are on the premises. We hope this place stays around for a long, long time.

2  Thank Muffiemaya
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have never been to a place less welcoming than this overrated shack. The owner/bartender was rude and offensive. Don't go there unless you live in the neighborhood because they don't know how to be slightly civil.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I relocated to the Skokie/Evanston area about a month ago and had driven past Charcoal Oven a few times. The first time I drove by and saw their amazingly retro signage and exterior décor I knew I wanted to check it out, but wasn’t sure if the place was still in business as it was rare to see a car in the parking lot. I read a few online reviews that assured me it was indeed open, if only from 5-9pm each night. A friend’s upcoming birthday gave me the excuse I needed to make a reservation and try it out. We arrived promptly at 7pm on a Tuesday evening, and there was only one other car in the lot. We were the only diners there from 7-9pm, which should have felt strange and awkward. However, I can honestly say it was one of the most memorable dining experiences of my life (in the good way). Our host welcomed and seated us with a genuine enthusiasm and cheerfulness. He explained the specials, took our drink orders, and spared no attention to detail throughout the evening. The internal décor was magical, mid-Century from top to bottom and wonderfully preserved in time. In fact, the entire experience was just that…an experience. Something you don’t get anymore…the supper club treatment. A regal dining experience without stuffy pretentiousness. The menu was hand-written and diverse, lots of great entrees to choose from. The sides were standard for the table, and were simply outstanding. The food was amazingly well-prepared, reasonably priced, and my wife’s gluten-free dietary restriction was met with the utmost level of professional dedication and excellence. This ended up being so much more than expected, from the ambiance to the service to the food and drinks. I can’t say enough about this establishment; it was an experience I’ll never forget. Not sure how it’s such a well-kept secret after so many years (established 1949) but I like it that way. I’ll definitely go back for special occasions and those once-every-so-often cravings for a fine dining experience.

2  Thank Robert T