“Keep up the Good Work”

Charcoal Oven Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcoal Oven Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 207 Restaurants in Skokie
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Evanston, Illinois
“Keep up the Good Work”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I've lived in the area for a couple of years and passed this place many times. When I finally had a Saturday night free (it is RARE), my wife and I decided to visit. After making our reservations, I decided to look up some reviews, and even though I was struck by the polarity exhibited, we figured, "Why Not?". For starters, I will say that the negative reviews seem unfounded - the service was attentive, and the food was VERY good (NY cut Sirloin and Greek Chicken - I was surprised at the portion; two thighs, two drumsticks and a large bone-in split breast). The house made salad dressings were delicious (her creamy garlic and my creamy Danish bleu), the rolls were like puffy clouds of goodness, appetizer (pastitsio) was mild, not spicy, the cottage fries (actually homemade potato chips) were a nice touch and the asparagus was done to tender perfection. Strawberry shortcake (fresh berries on angel food cake, a thin layer of vanilla ice cream and lots of whipped cream) topped off our evening. So, two dinners (we took home leftovers), a glass of wine and a lovely Belgian-style beer, and dessert for $80 before tax and tip made for a realistic value for a lovely night out. We will definitely be back.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank Charlie M

Chicago, Illinois
“Romantic old time atmosphere”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The Charcoal Oven has been at this location forever. We have lived in Skokie forever. Finally visited this place. Family run, the staff is very nice though on this night thy were understaffed and the service was spotty at best. Did not enjoy the food at all. We were very disappointed.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Jacole1946
Chicago
“There's A Reason the Parking Lot is Always Empty”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We decided to try this place as we had driven by it numerous times and we figured it must be good to have been there for along time. Wrong. The place is old and worn, and didn't look clean. There was an unpleasant odor in the entire restaurant. The service was indifferent, at best. Our food was just okay, but was very expensive for the quality, presentation and taste. It was nothing special. What was advertised as prime meat did not have the flavor I have associated with prime steaks we've tried at other restaurants. My husband asked a question about the meat which they were unable to answer. Maybe we visited on a really bad night, but our experience was unpleasant all the way around. I had just lost my job and going out to eat was (and still is) a big deal. Please save your money and skip this place.

• Visited September 2010
1 Thank Stephani
Evanston, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thumbs Down”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My grandson and I decided to try out this restaurant because we have been driving by for year's made plans for this past Friday night. We were treated very cold. I guess they are not use to having African American people dine in. We had to ask for everything we sat so long waiting for our water glasses to be filled until one of the owners took pity and walk by to fill them. After we got our food the waitress never came back to ask if there was anything else we needed/ no desert or anything// We watched how attentive they were to there other customers and notice we didn't receive any of that warmth. What it said to me was I will make sure the service is so bad until you will not return nor will you tell anyone else like you to come. I know I can't stop you from coming but. I will make your time unforgettable what it worked// I will never return nor have any of my African American friends go there// The waitress never came back to bring our check some other lady brought the check/./ The owner told me if I was going to add a gratuity to add it to the bill because they didn't run cards twice// I don't have to tell you that didn't happen// Its amazing I had the lamb and it wasn't that great// matter of fact I could have showed the cook how to give it some flavor// This will go in my book of one of the worst dinning experiences I have had since living in the Evanston/Skokie area..

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank congla
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never again”
Reviewed March 12, 2011

The previous review was too kind. The drinks were good. Aside from that, though, the ribs I ordered must have been originally prepared during the Eisenhower administration. My wife's "pork" was inedible. And the service was indifferent at best. I usually like old-fashioned supper clubs like this. You go in without any high expectations and it's usually a pleasant experience. Not here. And the prices were high on top of it. Never again.

• Visited February 2011