“Terrible hotel.”

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Room had chipped walls down to the wallboard, smelled awful, wet carpeting and no one at the dark front desk. We arrived around midnight to a dark front desk. I had to call the front desk and finally a young man emerged from a door behind the front desk that seemed to be the laundry room. He acted as if we interrupted him, couldn't find our reservation, then finally did find it abruptly handing us our key passes and disappearing from the dark front desk back to the laundry room.

The room was terrible. Chipped and gouged paint on the walls, it smelled pungent, the a/c was turned on to cold, the carpet was wet in places. We used to live in this upscale area, and we were shocked at the condition of this hotel, the lack of even basic service (like a lit up front desk, a front-desk employee not in thrown on sweats and short sleeved shirt) and the terrible condition of the room. Stay anywhere else this is an unacceptable hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank travelingwriter101
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the poor room conditions and for the lack of attention from one of our staff members. To uphold our company's high standards, I am working with the housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures and coaching the entire team on how to provide better customer service in the future.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at sko@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed at extended stay for the night of July 20 - 21. When we checked in to our room we found blood on the sheets. (In fact we took pictures of the sheets). When we complained the front desk said they would have the cleaning sheets. We come back later in the night only to find that our sheets were not changed. When we complained again, the front desk said the cleaning ladies have already left and there was nothing that could be done. The only alternative that seemed to exist was to take the new sheets and change them myself. We had a 6 month old baby with us, and we could not find a new hotel anywhere close by at that time of the night. Without any options we took the sheets and changed it ourself!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank tosh1983
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We have grandchildren in the area and have been coming to this hotel for close to 10 years. It was recently sold to new owners. Good points: location, room size, better pillows and breakfast. Points that are problems: WIFI stinks and so does new policy of only cleaning weekly rented rooms on the 8th day. this really bothered me .

Room Tip: away from the freeway and parking lot.
1  Thank shulamit657
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. I am glad to read your remarks about our upgraded pillows and our new grab-and-go breakfast. However, I am sorry that our WiFi was not working properly and the housekeeping schedule did not meet your expectations. In response to your feedback, I am working with our internet provider on fixing our connection. Please know, our hotel has recently re-branded, but is still owned by the same company.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at sko@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The room was neat and clean and quite adequate for our one night stay. They said it had a grab-and-go breakfast. Not quite - coffee, plastic wrapped muffins,granola bars and apples. The coffee was good though.

1  Thank Orchardmary
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. As we work to improve this offering, we will definitely keep your feedback in mind. Still, I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your clean room.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at sko@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

At www.hotwire.com I looked for a hotel in Evanston area, near Chicago. But this hotel is in Skokie, far away from the subway. This hotel was cheap, but far away from the subway (I had to rent a car), has only one cleaning per week and a very poor grab and go breakfast.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

(1) Bathroom toilet ring does not fit toilet. Toilet is large long sized seat, the ring is cheap small round size, it does not even cover the toilet, makes ladies very uncomfortable to use.

(2) Shower head keeps slipping to the low end of the bar. I don't know how tall people would take show like this.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Chris - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you found the bathroom in your room to be uncomfortable and that the shower head did not work properly. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought these issues to the attention of our maintenance department to ensure they are corrected and your experience is not repeated.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at sko@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Overall, my stay at the Extended Stay America Chicago-Skokie was a good one. I have stayed in many a hotel in my lifetime, but this was my first hotel stay by myself. As a young female, I was nervous about traveling out of town alone, but I felt welcome and safe as soon as I walked into the lobby. I was greeted immediately and the woman at the front desk made sure that I had everything I needed. She even made a call up to my room after I got settled to make sure that room looked okay and asked if I needed anything. Overall the room was fairly clean, the towels were a little dingy and there was one small spot on the comforter, but the bathroom was well maintained and the bed was comfortable. The only complaint that I would have is the noise level. I am a night owl, so the noise late at night was of no bother to me, but I can see where it would be potentially bothersome to other guests. When I returned from my excursion in to the city, I was promptly greeted by the man at the front desk, who asked me how my stay was so far. I did not utilize the grab-and-go breakfast, but I was made aware upon check-in that it was available. The checkout process was quick and easy, and all of the staff that I encountered were very pleasant and accomodating.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
Best Western Morton Grove Inn
Best Western Morton Grove Inn
#1 of 2 in Morton Grove
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie? Share your experiences!