“Home away from home”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Skokie
“Home away from home”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My favorite place to stay in over 30 years on the road ( and I spend 3-4 months away from home every year....Thanks to the fabulous staff here at ESA Skokie hats off to patrick Mirena Barbara Rohan

Thanks

Mark Zuccarello

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MackenzieChicago, Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
What a great review of the hotel. Thank you so much for mentioning three members of our great staff at the Skokie Extended Stay America. We have now completed our renovation, and will start serving a grab and go breakfast in late January. We look forward to you coming back and seeing us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is a short drive to Northwestern University, Downtown Evanston, Lake Michigan, & Downtown Chicago. The Old Orchard Shopping Center just across the expressway (94) has very good restaurants, shopping, & movie theaters. Just down the street is a Jewel Food Store if you want to cook your own meals in your room. Rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, the hotel is quiet, staff is friendly and helpful. Free WiFi is good too!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Skokie, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I really like the Say here. Espacially the Staff is allways kind. My room's great, and got everything I need so far. The room gets cleaned very good, and if I still need anything the staff is allways willing to help me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Chicago - Skokie. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.
HAMILTON
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I'll begin with the good. The cooling/heating system is new and works well, although it is noisy even on low. We were on the 2nd floor and heard no noise from our neighbours. The bed wasn't the best but was OK and the sheets were clean. The shower was great! There is a kitchen with a full sized fridge and freezer.

Now the issues. This property is rated as a 2* on some sites, but in my mind it is a 1*. There is no free breakfast! They claim that the kitchen is fully equipped but there was no sponge or dishwasher liquid (no dishwasher either), no paper towels, less than 2 of some of the silverware, no containers to use for microwave meals that don't come in microwaveable containers. The free wireless was OK but slow. They give you the option of paying extra for faster service. The phone was not working for 2 of our 3 day stay. There is a "refresh service" which includes replacing soiled towels, emptying trash, replenishing soap and toilet paper if needed and making beds with existing linens. There is a $3 charge if arranged on a daily basis or $5 if occasional. If you're there 1-6 nights you can take advantage of the towel exchange at the front desk; 7+ nights and you get one "full service" provided every 7 days.

The hotel claims to be renovated. While some work has been done the room we had was clearly not fully renovated as the furniture was old and chipped, the bedding was not new and the carpet looked to be old. Although we did check for bed bugs (and found none) and clean sheets on arrival we did find this room usable and stayed the full 3 nights we'd booked.

Room Tip: We were in room 204
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Skokie hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed June 19, 2011

No service to room unless stay over 7 days. No hair dryer in room.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
University Park, Illinois
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I checked in late for my stay, unfortunately I didn't have the time to check the room; when i returned i noticed the room was very clean - but i figured for 2 nights i would just deal with it. In further reviewing the room there was a huge red stain about the size of a basketball on the floor, the cabin to the heater was open and wouldn't close. Again I figured for the cost this is to be expected. Well it gets worst - my nephew turned back his cover and there was hair all over the bed, as I got up to review it I noticed ants all in a corner in the kitchen. Now it is 31 degrees outside there is no way I should see ants. Well after seeing that I couldn't stay in this room. I called the after hour service and was told they only had smoking rooms available - all the none smoking 2bed was "dirty". The beds were hard as a brick, if you sit on the end of the bed the top portion would fly up. It was after 11pm and I tried to just sit it out but there was no way. So I informed him I would like a full refund because I can't stay in that room and would be checking out. He was just like oh ok - and said that I would have to speak with the manager in the morning for refund. So I proceed to gather all my stuff, take pictures of the issues and got out of there immediately and went to check into the Doubletree which was less than 1 min away. DON'T STAY HERE - however I must admit the young lady that checked me in was exceptionally nice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 3, 2010

ExtendStay America (Skokie) is located adjacent to the Edens Expressway, across the highway from the Old Orchard Shopping Center. There is abundant free parking and the hotel is covenient to the highway and to nearby businesses and shopping. Rates are about half that of comparable hotels in the area; they accept AAA cards for discount. It's important to keep them apprised of your leaving date if it changes; the hotel posts notices throughout saying that last-minute changes may not be honored, and rooms are prepaid. However, I changed plans the night before departure and was credited with the unused day.

Check-in was frustrating; the clerk asked me to wait (at midnight) until she finished reading a page in a book and making a note - people picking me up also commented on the surliness and unresponsiveness of the desk staff. Ask for the wireless code, which changes daily, connections are free. There is no meal service; coffee is provided in the lobby in the morning and they have a deal with the Balleys a couple of miles away for exercise facilities. Hallways are long, the hotel is otherwise accessible.

The hotel has a variety of sharp smells baked in, some of food, some of old tobacco, although the hotel is non-smoking. The rooms are tired and worn, the bedcover was cut in places and the carpet was well-stained. There were no hangers and few bathroom amenities. The bed was comfortable, the windows opened with difficulty. There is a kitchenette which is clean and well supplied with utensils but no sponge or dishrag, a day's coffee is provided. Cleaning is by-request at a charge. There is a worktable and desk, a small TV, and your grandfather's recliner (of similar age). The bathroom is clean, water is moderately hot and moderate pressure.

It is a case of 'get what you pay for': the hotel s, indeed, inexpensive, but the surly staff, smelly ambience, and worn furnishings make this a depressing place to stay, sorry.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank DaveH-ExPat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
Best Western Morton Grove Inn
Best Western Morton Grove Inn
#1 of 2 in Morton Grove
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chicago North Shore - Niles

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie? Share your experiences!