“BED BUGS”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“BED BUGS”
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Just returned from a 3-night stay at this hotel and have welts all over my back. Went to the doctor who confirmed I'd been bitten by bed bugs. The lobby of this hotel and the rooms have been redone, but obviously the mattresses are old and unhygenic. This is a miserable feeling--do not stay here!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank commgal
GMEric, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, June 11, 2010
Dear Commgal;
How unfortunate that your visit was marred by unwelcomed guests. I sincerely hope that you will contact the hotel directly so that we may personally apologize and learn more details about your experience. In the meantime, allow me to address some misconceptions many travelers have regarding bedbugs. Most importantly, bedbugs are not the result of poor cleanliness or improper management. They are the single most disruptive element that hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, apartment buildings, college dorms and anywhere else that experiences the transient nature of people moving in and out are currently dealing with. The key is to have an aggressive, pro-active plan supported by the best licensed pest control professionals in the industry. In spite of the best plans however, an incident could occur - and when it does, we take immediate action to eliminate the source and prevent re-occurance. Lastly, a correction regarding the age of the hotel and it's contents; the hotel was entirely renovated floor to ceiling including all mattresses and box springs, but the newness or lack thereof, does not impact whether a bed bug incident will occur. Only diligent inspection can attempt to do that and we are very committed to our pre-inspection program.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 27, 2010

The hotel was fine until checkout. They charged me $20 for breakfast in the restaurant. I'd never set foot in the restaurant. They had the cashier come over with all the morning reciepts. There was no receipt in my name, for my room or for the amount they charged me. So they just randomly pick up some extra incme by chanrging meals to guests and hoping they don't notice.

It probably works for business travelers who aren't paying out of pocket anyway.

Wonder how much they make off this racket.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
GMEric, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, April 28, 2010
Dear LoneRanger55-
How unfortunate that your otherwise fine stay was marred by an erroneous charge on your final bill. The hotel has no interest whatsoever in billing guests for charges they did not incur. Please contact the hotel's Director of Front Office who will promptly work with you to remove this charge from your bill.

On a positive note, I'm pleased that the rest of your experience was favorable and that you found, as so many others have, that the Doubletree is passionate about delivering value and uparalleled service to visitors of Chicago's North Shore communities. I hope you will be able to share your positive experiences with others and that we will have the honor of serving as your host hotel on your future visits to our area.

Warm Regards
Eric Bates
Southern Illinois
Reviewed March 12, 2010

On recent stays several members of our family stayed at this hotel. Part of us were upgraded to a larger room while others weren't. Part of us were given coupons for free coffee or water, but not others. Part of us were given free breakfast, but guess what? Not all of us. We pooled the coupons bec the buffet didnt taste good enough to us to eat everyday.

This trip, several front desk people had trouble checking us in as we had a gift certificate for part of the trip. I had called earlier in the week & no one could tell me how to book w/the gift cert plus. To come on in & we will figure it out. Nope. They didn't figure it out at check in. It was a long process but noone could figure it out. They tried to. Nor were there any upgrades, no free water or coffee. The impression I received was that we were being comped with the gift cert & that was not true. It had been pd for last Fall. We were told to lv the gift cert at front desk, someone would figure it out before Monday. Nope. No one could figure it out and check out was frustrating & took more than 40 min.
Upon check in there was hair on the pillows and on the bathroom floor. It was a tight walk from the bathroom to the bed or chairs because of no space due to desk chair. Sink didn't hold water any stay, tubs didn't drain well any stay, but this stay seemed so different from previous visits, I wondered if there was some major difference in management. We had bought the bed & breakfast package but two mornings I asked for iced tea only and bought breakfast elsewhere. I found the water running into the serviing dishes from the lid to present soggy food. The lobby is pretty and the front end staff seem to be friendly but I don't know why someone would sell and prepare a gift cert (it covered 2 nights of bed & breakfast) if no one in the hotel knew how to accept it. We were told we could pay with only one kind of payment.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed November 1, 2009

The hotel stay was very memorable because the hotel was close to the business district and close to major public transport. The hotel also had a free shuttle service to the Chicago swift station. Moreover the hotel offered a free wireless internet to all guests.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Sri79
courthirsch, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, November 9, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience at our hotel. We hope to have future opportunities to serve as your host whenever travel brings you our way.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Nice modern hotel. Great shopping across the street. Small bathroom and windows. Comfortable updated bedding. Flat screen tv. Free parking a plus. Do not get the hotel breakfast as prepared food is poor quality with bad eggs, greasy potatoes. Fantastic rate through Priceline.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
new jersey
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I stayed here 13 days on business. It is a beautiful hotel with a pefect knowlegdeable staff who were very helpful directions etc. the hotel has free parking a Enterprise rental car agency is about a mile away on the same street and they picked me up but there are also taxi's in front at all hours.They have a wonderful restaurant in the hotel every thing on the menu is delicious prices are good. It is a busy happy hotel with a lot of meetings weddings and parties going on but so well organized. my room was very quiet even though the hotel was full.Next door is a large mall with Nordstrum and many stores and restauants. i liked California Pizza kitchen and Maggianos,It is only 20 minutes from the airport only a few miles from the beautiful North Shore beaches.I definitely would stay here again and I travel a lot. next door is a concert hall if you would like to see a show

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Bridgetpianos
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Stayed here in June 2009 for a long weekend. Someone was having a wedding in the hotel, but the very friendly front desk gave us a room away from the festivities, and we never heard a thing! They also gave us warm cookies when we checked in. (You can ask for these each night at the front desk.)

The room was quiet, roomy, and nicely decorated. The bed was great, if a little high off the ground. I think shorter folks (I'm 5'7") might have a problem with it. A/C was a little noisy when it turned on, but manageable. The only real issue I had was with the bathroom door clearance: you have to squeeze in between the toilet and the counter in order to close the door. Maybe a door that opened outward into the room would have been a better choice. Also, despite trying many different ways to keep the shower curtain closed, water always seemed to end up on the floor. I've seen this in a lot of other hotels, though, so it wasn't a big deal. Otherwise, the bathroom was very nice. I really liked the contemporary faucet style; might get one of those for my own bathroom at home!

As to the extras, I didn't use the pool or exercise room. But the business center was one of the largest I've ever seen and had a huge printer (may also have been a copier). There were at least 4 computers and I never saw anyone else in there. We had a free breakfast at the hotel (Blackie's restaurant) on Sunday morning - it was an adequate hot breakfast buffet. But I miss the old Daily Grill breakfast buffet which was totally amazing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!