“Great Beds but this is not our favorite hotel in the area” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Irvine, ca
“Great Beds but this is not our favorite hotel in the area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2008

We booked a last minute stay at this hotel because our favorite hotel was full. As an alternate, it served its purpose, but we will stay at our preferred hotel (Hampton Suites) whenever possible.

This hotel gets very high marks for having very comfortable beds. However, the rooms are fairly cramped; and we missed having a refrigerator in the room. (There is room in the cabinets for a small fridge, so I don't know why they don't put the fridge in the room).

Our bathtub was slow to drain and we had some problems with the toilets.

The restaurant next to the lobby was awful. I had a late night cocktail at the bar and for the life of me, the bartender ignored me and I finally left some money on the bar as I could not close out my bill. (I hope it was enough money.) In the morning, we went to breakfast. My wife and I were told there was only a buffet. When my son went to breakfast a little later, he ordered off a menu! But then, his food took forever to come out from the kitchen. When it finally came, it was not what he ordered. They comped his breakfast, as we had to leave and had no more time to wait.

I did notice that some people received the breakfast buffet as part of their room rate. Our's was not included.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank brucegary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2008

Stayed at the hotel for a week. The rooms had enough space in the bed portion, but they did have small bathrooms. The conference center flooded during that time, but they cleaned that up quick. The upstairs is AMAZING... if I ever had an event or party in IL I would book the upstaris room of this hotel. It is really amazing! The dining room is amazing and the staff there are very very very very nice!!!

The only reason I did not give this hotel above average rating is because the front desk staff seem to always be missing when you needed them, but other than that it is top notch!

• Liked — The dining room plus staff and top floor event room
  • Disliked — front desk staff
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

We stayed at this hotel last minute Cub tickets ,we stayed in a smoking king room ,windows opened yeh! Nice check in and out staff pleasant (except in resturant want you in and out or busy talking to other staff members not a problem for us no children were with us but others had children)Hotel was quiet and was full of people so i was pleasantly surprised.Would stay here again if in the area mall across the street with alot of resturants.

• Liked — Clean and quiet
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

my family and i stayed at the Doubletree in Skokie, IL from August 8th - August 10th 2008.
upon check in, the front desk was very friendly and helpful!!
rooms were very clean and spacious. the hotel lobby was very inviting w/ plenty of seating areas...and the lobby also plays music through their P.A. system, so it is some what of a comfort.

close to the hotel is a Jewel Osco, not too sure if it is open 24hrs, but they were open at about 11PM when we arrived. there is also an i-Hop across the street and a very nice mall across the road from the hotel.

• Liked — clean hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank JasminNicole
L.A.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

Enjoyable stay at this suburban Doubletree. Rooms were clean and comfortable. They seemed to be recently remodeled. My children enjoyed the in-door, out-door pool.

• Stayed June 2008
Cincinnati OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2008

I really enjoyed my stay at this Doubletree. I was really impressed by the decor of the lobby - quite contemporary and stylish, where the check in agents aren't behind a huge desk, but have individual stands. This decor extended into the room, which was very comfortable and quiet (I was on the 9th floor at the end of the hallway). The bathroom was on the small side, but had a nice granite vanity and 3 of each towel even though I was a single traveler. I got 2 free bottles of water in my room, plus free buffet breakfast. The breakfast I knew was courtesy of my HHonors Gold status (even though in my profile I requested extra points vs. breakfast), not sure about the water.

Location-wise, it was very convenient for me because my meeting was taking place next door - so could walk to/from meeting. Also, in adjacent blocks are plenty of food options, with a big shopping plaza (incl. Nordstrom and Lord & Taylor) diagonally across the street. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank flaii
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

The doubletree is not a 5 star resort with all the trimmings, nor does it profess to be. They have just built a new wing and the rooms are great. Fitted with modern TVs and a fridge, the size of the rooms are generous, and there is good cable and free internet. What more could one want from a reasonably priced suburban hotel? There is also good parking which is close to the rooms and there always seem to be taxis waiting for those who dont have cars. The bathrooms were well furnished, the size might be a little tight from some people's liking though.
The lobby is modern, the bar is clean enough and inexpensive and the staff are friendly. To be totally honest, the people who work behind the desk are a little scatterbrained which can be annoying... but in the overall experience that seemed to fade into the background.
Now is probably a good time to note that I stayed in the new wing - the old one is probably exactly that - old, so try and make sure you're in the new wing.
It's not close to downtown but if you don't need to always be in the city, the location of the hotel is excellent. It's within 5 mins walk of 3 shopping malls (one very large outdoor mall and two smaller ones) inclusing a supermarket within spitting distance.

• Liked — Location and facilites
  • Disliked — Check-in staff
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank internationalist159
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!