“Poor service”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
delaware, United States
“Poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I booked a suite.When I checked in I was sent to a room thinking it was a suite, but no it was a standard room. When I called the desk they said there were no suites available because of remodelling. No apology or excuses were made. To date I have not received my points back used to upgrade the room.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Hi David,

I'm very sorry that you did not receive the suite that you booked. There is certainly no excuse for us not to honor your reservation and then to not even apologize. I can assure you this is not indicative of our service. I can assure you that I have already taken steps to make sure something like this doesn't happen again. I would love to welcome you back and upgrade you to one of our newly renovated suites. I can be reached directly at 847-329-4358 or at halley.karas@hilton.com. Please let me know if you return to the hotel and I will make the arrangements myself. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sun Valley, Idaho, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My daughter and I traveled to Chicago to visit Northwestern University as a potential school for her. We couldn't stay in Evanston because there was a home game that weekend, so we stayed as close as we could to the campus. I booked at the Doubletree Hilton Skoke there to provide a memorable experience for my daughter although it was beyond our budget. I saw the pictures online...it looked plush and fun. The picture was nothing like the room. We paid $300 for each night we were there...two nights...and it was nothing more than a nice Best Western. No robes (unlike the picture)...$3.50 for water...few personal amenities..no newspaper in the morning..not even a Jacuzzi/Hot tub...only a very small/cold swimming pool. The service in the restaurant there was very slow and the food marginal. The one redeeming service was the shuttle to and from the university. We made our reservation to get to the campus the following morning. When I called down to check on that reservation, the bus had already left and the woman working the front desk was completely unkind, put me on a long hold, realized their mistake, and gave me a voucher for a taxi. She was rude. When I called to ask for a shuttle pick-up later that afternoon while at the univeristy, again the same woman, interrupted and told me that I would need to walk to the stadium...very far away...and wait by a hotdog stand. It was cold and we had no idea where we were. I asked to speak to another hotel desk employee, and although she was equally as rude, said she would send for a taxi. It never came. We waited for 25 minutes on that street corner waiting for, what we came to find out, a taxi that was never called. I just spoke to the hotel manager who took their side and was from compassionate and helpful. I will never stay in another Hilton again, and I would encourage you to find another hotel worth your $300 a night. This was supposed to be a special weekend for my daughter and me, and this experience dampened our spirits, to say the least.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel. Poor quality and service. Very expensive.
2 Thank Dayle O
I am very sorry that you had such a disappointing experience at our hotel. It is our goal to satisfy all of our guests and it is unacceptable to me that you were not pleased with your experience. I know you have spoken to one of our managers about your experience and she was able to apologize on our behalf and offer you compensation for your experience. I hope that her gesture will convince you to return in the future and give us another try. I can assure you that we are capable and eager for another chance to create a special weekend for you and your daughter. We hope to see you again and welcome you back as our VIP guest.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

i am a diamond member, so your experience mught be different.
First the location, close to freeay, not far from ohare, and great eating places close by.
Breakfast: i stayed for 5 days. Over the weekend the hotel had 2 college teams who ate faster than the staff could refill. However, during the weekday, they still had issues, so it must be poor planning.
The housekeeping : for some reasin, they did not clean the room well, dirty coffee cups and soda bottles should have been removed. Free parking is always welcome.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at our hotel. As a diamond member, and frequent traveler, you certainly are the hotel expert! I'm glad that you found us to be convenient and near lots of restaurants and shops. Our proximity to Old Orchard Mall is one of our guests' favorite things. I apologize that breakfast and the housekeeping service was not as exceptional as it should have been. We are always welcome constructive feedback from our guests and use it to improve. I will address your concerns in both areas and can assure you that on your next visit you will be pleased with your experience in both areas. Thank you again for your business and your loyalty. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed here one night on business. Good value. Very convenient to Old Orchard mall. The restaurant in the hotel is excellent. The staff was very friendly and efficient. Small but decent fitness center. The rooms were very nice and clean. If I had one small complaint it is that they play there Muzak in the public areas including the lobby way too loud. Almost couldn't carry on a conversation. Other than that, good option if you need to be in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and would recommend us for either business or leisure. We appreciate your business and hope to see you back again soon.
Cudahy, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

This has to be one of the worst $200 (including taxes) a night hotels in the greater Chicago area. We stayed there because it was next to the North Shore Center. The room was big. Sheets were clean. That's it for the positives. Garbage bags and room service trays left in the halls, not picked up by the staff. We saw several members of the staff walk by these piles. The piles grew between the time we left for our event and our return, about 6 1/2 hours. The door into the bathroom cleared the toilet by two inches. In order to enter the bathroom we had to straddle the toilet. I took pictures - it's unreal. To get into the tub: walk in, straddle toilet, close door, unstraddle toilet, enter tub and somehow open door. Why open the door? No ventilation in the bathroom. None. The bathtub was very slow to drain, requiring rinsing of the ankles and feet in the sink. Nothing like getting out of the shower with gunk on your ankles and feet because there's standing water in the tub. The water pipes in our room squealed whenever water was used to the point that it woke me out of a sound sleep. When other rooms used water we also heard the squealing, though not as loud. Very noisy heating/cooling system. It woke both of us up every time it kicked in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Elizabeth G
Elizabeth,-

I'm so sorry that you had such a disappointing experience. The concerns you mentioned are certainly not acceptable, nor are they common to our hotel. I truly apologize that we did not provide you with the excellent service that our hotel is known for, and that your room was not up to standards. I truly believe that if you give us another chance to impress you, we will not disappoint. I would love to invite you back. Please contact me directly at 847-329-4358 so I can help make up for this disappointing and unacceptable experience.

Warm Regards,

Halley Karas
Director of Operations
Palatine, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel was nice, as Double Trees typically are, but the cost was excessive. The restaurant attached was a Jamesons. The breakfast was great, but it closed too early at night for a weekend. The bar was too small and crowded. I could hear the cleaning staff in the hallway and neighboring room at 7am on a Sunday. Totally distracting.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at our hotel. I'm glad you think we were a nice hotel, as we strive to always give great service and provide our guests with an exceptional stay. I have passed your comments along to our attached restaurant, and I can assure you we take your suggestions seriously. I also want to apologize about the noise you heard outside your room at 7am. I know how frustrating it can be to be woken up earlier than you expected, especially when you are away from home and it's harder to fall back asleep. I am using your comments as a training topic in our daily meetings to help our staff improve the way they work.

Thank you again for your comments and for your business, we appreciate both!
Los Angeles, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a very disappointing hotel for the Doubletree chain which I expect good things from. The bathroom is old and tired. The carpets frayed and dull. Nothing about the room recommends this hotel. TV system lousy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank John S H
John,

I'm very sorry that your recent stay with us was disappointing. The problems you described are certainly unacceptable and uncommon for our hotel. I appreciate that you took the time to let us know what we could be doing better, as that allows us to continue to improve. I would like to talk to you more about your stay and see what we can do to bring you back, as I'm positive we can wow you if given a second chance. I can be reached at 847-329-4358. I look forward to hearing from you. We value you as our guest and appreciate your business.

Warm Regards,

Halley Karas
Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!