DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
$92
$86
Agoda.com
1,200 results
All reviewscookiesacross the streetdouble treesmall bathroomold orchardnorth shoreconvenient locationfree parkingbed was very comfortablebreakfast buffetbusiness centerbusiness tripnice stayvery nice hotelenjoyed my stayfront desk stafffitness center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 19, 2008

The doubletree is not a 5 star resort with all the trimmings, nor does it profess to be. They have just built a new wing and the rooms are great. Fitted with modern TVs and a fridge, the size of the rooms are generous, and there is good cable and free internet. What more could one want from a reasonably priced suburban hotel? There is also good parking which is close to the rooms and there always seem to be taxis waiting for those who dont have cars. The bathrooms were well furnished, the size might be a little tight from some people's liking though.
The lobby is modern, the bar is clean enough and inexpensive and the staff are friendly. To be totally honest, the people who work behind the desk are a little scatterbrained which can be annoying... but in the overall experience that seemed to fade into the background.
Now is probably a good time to note that I stayed in the new wing - the old one is probably exactly that - old, so try and make sure you're in the new wing.
It's not close to downtown but if you don't need to always be in the city, the location of the hotel is excellent. It's within 5 mins walk of 3 shopping malls (one very large outdoor mall and two smaller ones) inclusing a supermarket within spitting distance.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank internationalist159
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I bid this hotel on Priceline and honestly, I was panic when reading reviews on this hotel when I searched on the internet. I'm an international female traveller and I didn't plan to rent a car, therefore the location and safety of the hotel is quite important to me. I tried to contact the hotel by email for their free shuttle sevice in advanced, but didn't get any response. So I did some research on CTA system and realize it's not hard to get to the hotel by CTA +bus (Purple line to Davis station, and then take 205 or Pace208, you could find schedule on CTA website)

Check-in was smooth and the personnel was very helpful and friendly. They did mention about the free shuttle to/back the place in 5 miles distance (but I didn't use it) If you don't want to dine at their restaurant there are several places to eat nearby. The room, as shown in the photos I took, was nice and neat, in a modern fashion. The restroom is not as small as described. I guess maybe they did have done some remodelling, becase my room is quite clean and very very new. You could tell this kind of things by checking the carpet and the furniture. In all, it was a great hotel and I enjoy my stay there.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank Kaoritw
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We stayed here b/c the only rooms available in the loop were over $400. Sometimes the traffic on 90/94 was awful, making this location all the more inconvenient. I suppose this is a good location for folks wanting to be near Evanston.

The hotel was nicely decorated, and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel restaurant and bar are open til 12 on weekends, that's really handy.

For the price, the location is tolerable for a Chicago weekend. All in all, this is a nice hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank PaxTerra
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I didn't like this hotel. I stayed on one floor and my mother stayed on a smoking floor (she smokes). Even if you smoke, I advise you to get a non-smoking room, because the entire smoking floor SMELLS. BAD. Not just the rooms, but the entire floor. When my mom and I got on the elevator from this floor, a woman already on the elevator was like, "Yuck! This must be the smoking floor!" If you do smoke, the windows open a bit so you're better off with a non-smoking room and just smoking out your window, flushing the butts down the toilet, and letting the room air out so no one knows.

In general, the hallway areas are kind of seedy. This might be because they seem to have a lot of college athletes staying there. Be advised that the rooms aren't soundproof and there's a high chance you'll have people partying or putting their TVs up loud in the room next to you. Even if my room had been soundproof, I still would've been woken up a lot because my air thingie had some problem where every 30 or 40 minutes it would start making a lot of noise (noise that sounded like something was wrong with it), and sometimes I'd have to smack it a few times to get that to stop. Also, the elevators are amazingly slow.

For some reason they didn't seem to want either me or my mom to have room service menus in our rooms. I had to talk to three people to get them to staple together some menus from the restaurant. The food was average to below-average, but satisfactory. At the restaurant, they take quite a long time to serve the food you order. Strangely, the Heinz ketchup bottles seemed to contain watered down ketchup. In one meal, the ketchup was so watery I feared some kid must've poured something into it as a prank. The waiter didn't seem to care at all that I had just spoiled half the food in front of me by pouring this ketchuip plus some foreign liquid on my plate. Ah well, whatever.

On the good side, they have a set rate of $25 for a taxi from the hotel to the airport, which is about half of what it might otherwise cost. Also, the have the nicest gentleman working in the gift shop. We needed some safety pins and he was sold out of them but knew he had a few in his car. He ran to his car to get them and rejected a tip for doing so. They also have a small but fun indoor/outdoor pool and a few exercise machines you can use at no extra charge.

The hotel is also located near a lot of stores and places to eat.
However, I found it quite a chore to walk across the busy, multi-lane street in the wintertime to get to these stores. This isn't the hotels fault, of course, but I've never seen such a pedestrian unfriendly street! You couldn't even get to the cross-walks with the snow and whatnot. So, we actually had to call a cab to get across the street to shop at Nordstrom! (Btw, forget the Panera Bread and IHOP - Nordstrom's cafe is a terrific place for a sandwich!).

The bottom line on this hotel is that it is the worst DoubleTree I've ever seen, and DoubleTrees aren't that great to begin with. The hotel does not seem very clean and there are a lot of little annoyances. There's also a high chance you'll have noise distractions at night. There are better hotel options in the area.

• Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank FranticFlintstone
Reviewed October 15, 2007

Some old college friends and I came to the Skokie area (specifically, Evanston) for a wedding and we got a great rate because our friends had blocked a number of rooms for wedding guests.

In addition to the great rate, we qualified for a free upgrade to an executive suite. What we envisioned in our heads to be an executive suite definitely was NOT what we were given. It was basically a standard room, with two queen beds, a teeny tiny bathroom, and a desk. We called down to the desk to make sure that in fact was the executive suite and they said it was... it was strange. For four girls getting ready for a wedding, it was kinda tough.

The pros: yummy warm chocolate chip cookies at check-in, a great fitness center, the HUGE mall right across the street with tons of places to eat and shop, quick attentive housekeeping (we requested extra glasses and they came within 5 minutes!) and the really quick elevators.

The cons: size of the bathroom (tiny!), executive suite didn't live up to its name, for some, the cost

In general I'd say it was a very nice hotel. The lobby is pretty, the rooms were nice and with really comfy beds, and it was overall a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends