“OK, but small room, cleaning issues”

DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Boston, Massachusetts
“OK, but small room, cleaning issues”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We checked in here yesterday, in town to attend a family funeral.
The lobby is very nice so we were expecting more from the room. It's ok, but wasn't quite cleaned well. In fact, the first thing I did was grab a towel and wipe down the bathroom fixtures which had cleaning product residue on them.
There is a nice work desk, however there's so little space between the desk chair and the edge of one of the beds we've moved the chair into a corner. Tired of bumping into it. :)
Also, oddly, after we'd checked in, we heard someone open the door and a housekeeper poked here head in. She quickly apologized and ducked out.
There's no info in the room about the hotel so I'm about to head out to look for breakfast and figure out if there's a gym and business center here.
Mostly small stuff, and hotel staff are very professional, but the room is a bit disappointing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MiJohnson
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I'm glad that you found our staff to be professional and our lobby to be upscale. I apologize that your room was not as it should have been. The problems you described are definitely not common of our hotel. I hope that the front desk was able to direct you to our wonderful indoor/outdoor pool, Jameson's Char House, our complimentary business center and all the other wonderful amenities we offer. I truly hope you enjoyed your stay and that you will return again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
illinois
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Very pleasant experience, loved the cookies! Room was clean, quiet and the bed comfortable. Great price, too. Old Orchard is literally across the street, fabulous shopping. I was here for work but want to come back for a shopping trip soon --

Room Tip: I was in a back room, very quiet. I think it was 325?
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank maddiehyde
Hi Maddie,

Thanks for the great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed our hotel, the cookies and the mall across the street. We would love to have you back again soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Hotel staff was very professional and responsive. Rooms were in excellent condition, fresh linens on the bed and in the bathroom....TV in working order, coffee for the morning, amenities, good HVAC unit and control, noise was minimum from above or next to room, etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed yourself and found us to be professional and responsive and your room to be comfortable and nicely appointed. We value you as our guest and hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here when we came for a concert in Downtown Chicago. Parking is free, which one cannot get downtown in a major city of course. The hotel itself is very pleasant, with an aesthetically pleasant lobby area. Irene at the front desk was quite lovely, and made sure we had as many cookies as we'd like upon check-in. She was very welcoming, and very clearly described the property to us. (Bonus points for very graceful open-palm gestures!)

The room had a decent view, considering its surroundings are, you know, Skokie. In the distance from our 8th floor room (on the side of the hall with even numbered rooms), we could see the Chicago skyline in the distance. I imagine that on a clearer day than when we were there, the view is rather nice. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room very well-maintained and clean. The HVAC system was a shade noisy, but the room's temperature was comfortable enough that we didn't need to keep it running all night. We had no issues with noise from the hallway or other rooms (we were toward the end of the hall), which made for an excellent night's sleep.

As is the case with many hotels built in its era, the bathrooms are sort of tiny; pray to your chosen deity that nobody opens the door while you're using the toilet, as disaster will certainly ensue and your day, not to mention the housekeeper's, will be ruined. The toiletries provided were nice, with a pleasant aroma, and the hair dryer in the room was a step up from typical hotel hair dryers.

The staff was courteous and quickly responsive when we called down to ask for a recommendation for a cab company. They called one for us and had it waiting for us at the front door. The cabbie himself left a bit to be desired, but that's not the hotel's fault. It was a $40-ish cab ride (including a generous tip) into the downtown area. We took a cab because we knew we'd be drinking in the city, but for those who plan to drive sober into Chicago, it's a very easy trip.

Check-out was as simple as a phone call to the desk. I didn't catch the agent's name, but he was very courteous, asking how our stay was. The staff overall was very pleasant.

Many options for food are in the neighborhood, including a personal favorite, Portillo's, right down the block. Hard to beat that!

Full disclosure: We stayed here at a Hilton employee rate, which is a sizable discount, but I stand by what I say in this review, and would say the same things if I paid the standard room rate. If anything, being in the hospitality industry myself makes me a harsher critic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank applescruff909
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. I'm so glad you got to meet Irene, she is certainly a great asset to our hotel. I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.
whitneyg730
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My fiance and I stayed in Skokie last October while vising Chicago and I was so grateful we did. The staff is amazing -- from the time we checked in to the time we checked out, we were treated like royalty. The front desk agents were so helpful and our room was very clean. You can tell the staff really cares about their jobs and makes sure everyone walks out happy.

The location was wonderful - not only were we near all of the shopping and restaurants in Skokie, but we were a short shuttle drive away from the train that took us right into the city. We told the shuttle driver we weren't familiar with Chicago and he explained the train system perfectly to us - we were very grateful for that!

I couldn't have asked for a better trip to Chicago and a better hotel to stay at while we were there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad you were so impressed with our friendly staff, the convenient location and the free shuttle to the Skokie Swift. We work hard to make sure our guests feel like royalty and leave wanting to come back soon!
Chicago
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for business recently with my co-workers, even though I live close (in the city of Chicago). I had planned to stay for two nights, but checked out after one because it wasn't nice enough to stay there instead of at home. The lobby was updated, the location is great, and the rooms were nice, but there are definitely some downfalls. The down comforter on the bed was seriously so thin that it felt like a sheet, so I froze all night, even after I turned the heat up. They clearly need to replace the comforters. Secondly, the rooms were SO loud. I could hear full conversations in the rooms next door, and there had been people partying down the hall earlier in the night, and I woke up at about 1:15am to hear someone getting extremely sick in one of the surrounding rooms. That's a great way to ruin a night of sleep. The bathrooms were so small, you could hardly move in it. The hot water in the shower was pretty much non-existent. While this is definitely the nicest hotel in Skokie, there are plenty of very nice hotels in Evanston.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for commenting that we are the "nicest hotel in Skokie." Your comments and suggestions are well taken, and we continually strive for improvement. We do have a lobby refresh project in the works for this year and I think you will be pleased with the new look on your next visit. I'm sorry and concerned to hear that your hot water was not functioning, that is not a common occurrence at our hotel and my engineering team is investigating our systems to make sure everything is working as it should. I do hope that you will consider us again for a home away from home the next time business or pleasure brings you to the Skokie area. We appreciate your business!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Noise from hall very loud in rooms. We had an experience where college athletic teams in house - loud partying in rooms was really bad. Staff was good to move us. Bathrooms are tiny, barely room for one person to get ready.
Convenient to shopping, restaurants, downtown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so sorry that you experienced noise near your room, but am glad that we were able to move you to a quieter area of the the hotel. Our proximity to Northwestern University along with our great rooms and friendly staff make us a first choice for many college teams as well as visitors to Northwestern. I do hope that you enjoyed your stay and will return again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!