“Another Nice Stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Reviewed January 9, 2013

It's always nice when a hotel stands up on a second visit to the first impression. I again had business in Skokie, so I stayed here. I had another very nice visit and will happily return.

This time, I had to make a last-minute change to the reservation (changing the arrival date due to a change with the client). Even though it was past the reservation deadline, the hotel changed the reservation without fee (perhaps because I am an elite member with Hilton HHonors). Whatever the reason, it was a gracious touch and much appreciated!

Upon arriving at the hotel, I was warmly welcomed by the staff. Check-in was fast, and like during my last visit, the hotel really showed their appreciation for my business and my loyalty to the Hilton family with some added perks, like free water and a chocolate bar. The room was, once again, well-appointed...a nice robe, a full set of bath products (including body wash and mouth wash), etc. Internet was fast and free. The bed was very comfortable. The bathrooms are small, but everything was clean and well-decorated. My only complaint in the room would be the showerhead -- it could be replaced with one that does a better job of distributing the water.

During my previous visit, I'd noted the elevators were very slow. To the hotel's credit, it appears to be taking care of that...an elevator renovation project was underway. I rode on one of the renovated ones, and it was much faster. I also thought the hotel showed a thoughtful touch by offering guests the chance to use service elevators while one of the elevators was out-of-service during the remodeling of the elevators.

Overall, another highly satisfactory stay!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review of our hotel. It is so nice to hear that the extra effort we put into making our top tier Hilton Honors members feel special is noticed! Also, our elevator modernization project is almost complete and we couldn't be happier with the results, I'm glad you as our guest feel the same way. I'm so glad you found your experience "highly satisfactory" and hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Very nice hotel, clean rooms and excellent staff. We stayed at this hotel for the Dec 2012 graduation at Northwestern Univ. We telephoned early to notify that we would arrive late. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. This hotel is close to the university, high end shopping mall across the street. Many restaurants within walking distance. On site free parking, easy access to the highway. I loved this hotel, young staff, very energetic and friendly.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Thank you so much for your glowing review! I can assure you that as much as you loved your stay, we loved having you as our guest. We cater to many Northwestern University parents and really enjoy being able to act as a home away from home for so many families. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to being your hotel of choice on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Nice hotel close to the magnificent mile ' easy walk to shopping and dining - friendly staff - wish they had valet parking. Good value for the money ! It was nice having an Einstein bagel shop in the lobby. I would have liked a bigger gift shop area with more snacks and such for after hours. Concierge was very helpful and the staff is very friendly. We will defiantly return

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

I think you are mistaken on our location, but are glad you enjoyed your stay at one of our sister properties! We would love to have you as our guest the next time you are in the North Shore area!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

This hotel is a little strange, part older high rise and part older low rise. It was clearly fancy in its day, and they have kept up the lobby and common areas, but not the rooms. What makes this a good place to stay is the location: not far outside the city of Chicago, near but not too near OHare (many international visitors and flight crews, so many that they have a flight board in the lobby showing departure times and delays), right across the street from an upscale mall with great restaurants (Maggianos), and super friendly staff. Indeed, the staff are one of the main reasons to stay. They are really friendly, helpful, and there are lots of free things, such as a cookie, water, drinks, and sometimes breakfast depending on your Hilton Honors level. The rooms are not drab and have been updated, but some rooms can be noisy with thin walls. Personally, I would expect Hilton to sell off this property sometime, but I still stay here whenever in the area and recommend it wholeheartedly. I ask for rooms in the east wing (low rise part) because they seem larger and the climate control can be set to "on" for white noise. It is not as pricey as hotels in the city, and is similar to others in the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank James M

We thank you for wholeheartedly recommending our hotel! I'm so glad you consider us the place to stay in the North Shore. As a frequent guest, we look forward to showing off our continued improvement projects on each of your future visits.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your business and value you as our guest.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree due to its location to downtown Chicago. We know we have to do some driving so my daughter can see her friends so we like to try and be with/in 1/2 hour. This is 15 min with no traffic. However the weekend we went was the parade in Dwtn Chicago with 3 Million extra people.
Our hotel was awesome. Upon checking in we were given 3 warm chocolate chip cookies that were out of this world. Desk clerk was extreemly friendly and helpful.
It was a drag late friday when the hotel was full and only 2 elevator working. and a real drag on Sunday when only 1 elevator was working.
Rooms were clean, small fridge was nice in room. great resturant on site food was excellent.
Mall right across the street so when girls were sleeping off their hangover I could go shop

If there was one thing to change and this is HUGE. they need to put queen beds in the room. Double beds just dont fit 2 people unless your kids

Room Tip: We had room 217. it was wonderful to put our water and pop out the window on the roof to stay cool...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you so much for your great review! We are so glad your girls weekend was a success and that we got to be a part of it. You will be happy to know that by the time you plan your next trip we will have 3 brand new modernized elevators to bring you to your room in record time! Thank you again for your kind words and we cannot wait to see you again!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I wanted to be in the Skokie area, and I couldnt of been happier, really nice hotel, good size room and nice ammenities. Pool is nice and lobby is comfortable, free wifi and free parking. Nice westfield shopping centre over the road. I have to say a really pleasent and enjoyable stay. Will definatley be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay as well as some of our great amenities like complimentary high speed WiFi and complimentary parking. We are an ideal hotel for both business and leisure travel and would love to be your choice the next time you are in the area. Thanks again for your kind words!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My grandson's night-time party was held in the ballroom in the top floor of the hotel, with an exciting view of Chicago. The hors d'oeuvres, food and service where all very good. I would recommend it for your event.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

We are so glad your even went will in our top floor Monaco ballroom! We will share your compliments with our chef and event staff. Your recommendation means everything to us and we would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!