“Faaaaaar away from Chicago”

DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
santiago
“Faaaaaar away from Chicago”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here for two nights since it was my meeting`s location. First time in Chicago and this hotel turn out to be a bad location for tourism.
I took a cab from O`Hare, U$35 after barganning with the driver. The hotel offers U$30 so email them first. Cheking in and out fast and easy.
The hotel has a shuttle to the subway station, you have to book it so plan ahead for morning rides. They dont have a schedule. Once in the subway the ride to downtown Chicago takes 1 hour. When going back to the hotel you have to call for the shuttle to pick you up or take a cab U$5-6.
The room was big, two extremely confortable double beds. Big bahtroom with some amenities (shampoo, conditioner, soap). It offered shower cap, toothpaste, shaving kit, but these items were nowhere to be seen. Wide TV channel selection. In the room coffee machine and free chocolate cookies (excellent cookies¡¡¡). No complimentary breakfast.
The hotel is sorrounded by shopping malls and restaurants. There is a grocery store by the Old Navy store.
Overall, not a good choice for Chicago.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our signature chocolate chip cookies and your spacious room with large comfy beds. We recommend taking American Taxi from O'Hare airport, as they are the most economical for the northern suburbs of Chicago. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our hotel shuttle, which offers guests transportation within 5 miles of the hotel. Our most popular stop is the Skokie Swift Yellow Line, which takes folks into downtown Chicago. Many guests find that our proximity to Old Orchard Mall (right across the street) and ease of traveling downtown via train or by car (20 minutes) paired with competitive rates and great amenities like complimentary parking and internet meet their needs. I hope that you will consider us on your next trip to the area, we would love to help you with some tips to better enjoy Chicago on your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
ann arbor, mi
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Lots of good things to say about this Doubletree. (Of course, the cookies at welcoming help.) Large rooms, nice decor, good temperature control. GREAT high speed wireless included. Every hotel amenity. Nice lobby, good restaurant. Also in a good area with lots of close shopping and dining.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel! We are so glad you enjoyed yourself. With complimentary high speed wireless access, complimentary parking and complimentary cookies, not only are we the premier hotel in the North Shore but a great value. We hope to be able to welcome you back as our guest in the near future.
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here for a Chicago wedding. The hotel was in a nice area and we could walk to shopping and restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff provided great service. The breakfast buffet was good, better than most and even includes made to order omelets that you order from the waitress (no waiting in line for it). They offer a 24 hr convenience store which is nice. The only negative was that we could hear people in the hallways as we were in our room, but it was really no big deal. Nice (small) fitness center, nice pool area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are so glad you came to our hotel for a wedding and glad you enjoyed our proximity to the mall, great breakfast buffet in Jameson's Charhouse, comfortable accommodations and great service. We hope that you will consider us for a future vacation or special occasion. Thank you again for your kind words.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Got a blinding deal on one night here through Hotwire, but even at twice that rate it would have been excellent.

The bed was comfy, the room was clean, the WiFi was fast and the signal strong. There is a restaurant on site (I diidn't try it) and there is a mall across the street with lots of shopping and dining options.

The only small negative is that the bathroom was quite small so that it felt like the toilet pan was slightly in the way of the shower access.

Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank FenCo
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so glad you were pleased and you got a great deal. We would love to welcome you back as our guest the next time your travels bring you to the North Shore.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here in September 2012 for one night. It was my first time at the hotel; it happened to be close to where my business meeting was happening. So, location-wise, it worked for me. The hotel is in a very suburban area; that area includes several restaurants, lots of shopping, etc., including a very nice, open-air shopping mall. So, as places you stay for business travel go, the location was satisfactory.

I was impressed by the hotel's recognition of my Hilton HHonors Diamond status. I was provided complimentary water and coffee in the lobby, a chocolate bar and water in the room, upgraded features in the room (robe, body wash, etc.). I felt like a very valued guest and appreciated these touches!

I liked my room. It wasn't incredibly fancy, but it was well-lit and very functional -- comfortable bed, good working area, functional internet, etc. The bathroom was on the tiny side, but was very clean. I thought the decor was pleasing and relativley modern; I got the impression that the building was older but that some renovations had taken place.

The public areas of the hotel were fine. The lobby looks updated and is stylish; hallways were fine. The fitness center was relatively small, but had a good selection of equipment. I REALLY appreciated the business center: it had PCs and Macs, and all were new and easy to use. Use was complimentary. I arrived late and had some last-minute copies to make for a client meeting in the morning, so being able to take care of this business need so quickly was of huge benefit to me. My only negative comment on the hotel's facilities is the elevators -- they were s l o w.

Service-wise, I had pretty limited interaction with the staff (late arrival/early departure), but I was warmly welcomed at check-in and check-out was efficient.

So, overall, I had a very good stay; the hotel met all of my needs as a business traveler and even provided a few perks. Business travel is taking me to the area again soon, and I'll be back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you so much for your thorough and well written review of our property. While reading it, I feel you described us perfectly as a hotel. I'm so glad you found our amenities convenient for business travel. We recently upgraded our business center with brand new Macs and PCs and definitely agree that it's user friendly. We even offer scanning and printing at no extra fee.

I'm so glad that you felt like a valued guest and appreciated the special touches we offer at check in and throughout your stay. We loved having you as our guest and hope to see you again soon when business (or leisure) brings you to the Skokie area.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was fine, nice room, dinner was great! I had the Ahi and the steaks looked awesome. Breakfast was overpriced and average taste. Service at dinner and breakfast was non-existent! The front desk staff was as good as I have ever experienced.

• Stayed September 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed your hotel stay with us, especially your sleeping room and delicious dinner. Also, I'm so glad you had such a positive service experience with our front desk staff and am sorry to hear that you did not have the same experience in the restaurant. We appreciate all feedback from our guests. We are able to use your comments as training tools in order to continually improve our service to our valued guests.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We hope to see you back at the DoubleTree Chicago North Shore when your travels bring you to the Skokie area.
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in Skokie doubletree for a family visit. You could see the Hilton style everywhere in the design, but mostly at the service! The front desk, dining room, bell boys and maintenance got all out of their way to make us feel good. Being a hhonors member was really recognized - lots of good little benefits like free food items at the hotel convenience store, free glass of wine at the bar, and so on. Loved it!

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you so much for reviewing our lovely hotel. I'm so glad you felt the love as a Hilton Honor's member. We try our best to show our appreciation and I'm glad we succeded in making you feel speical as our guest. We hope to see you again soon when you are in the North Shore area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!