“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Got a blinding deal on one night here through Hotwire, but even at twice that rate it would have been excellent.

The bed was comfy, the room was clean, the WiFi was fast and the signal strong. There is a restaurant on site (I diidn't try it) and there is a mall across the street with lots of shopping and dining options.

The only small negative is that the bathroom was quite small so that it felt like the toilet pan was slightly in the way of the shower access.

Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank FenCo
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so glad you were pleased and you got a great deal. We would love to welcome you back as our guest the next time your travels bring you to the North Shore.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here in September 2012 for one night. It was my first time at the hotel; it happened to be close to where my business meeting was happening. So, location-wise, it worked for me. The hotel is in a very suburban area; that area includes several restaurants, lots of shopping, etc., including a very nice, open-air shopping mall. So, as places you stay for business travel go, the location was satisfactory.

I was impressed by the hotel's recognition of my Hilton HHonors Diamond status. I was provided complimentary water and coffee in the lobby, a chocolate bar and water in the room, upgraded features in the room (robe, body wash, etc.). I felt like a very valued guest and appreciated these touches!

I liked my room. It wasn't incredibly fancy, but it was well-lit and very functional -- comfortable bed, good working area, functional internet, etc. The bathroom was on the tiny side, but was very clean. I thought the decor was pleasing and relativley modern; I got the impression that the building was older but that some renovations had taken place.

The public areas of the hotel were fine. The lobby looks updated and is stylish; hallways were fine. The fitness center was relatively small, but had a good selection of equipment. I REALLY appreciated the business center: it had PCs and Macs, and all were new and easy to use. Use was complimentary. I arrived late and had some last-minute copies to make for a client meeting in the morning, so being able to take care of this business need so quickly was of huge benefit to me. My only negative comment on the hotel's facilities is the elevators -- they were s l o w.

Service-wise, I had pretty limited interaction with the staff (late arrival/early departure), but I was warmly welcomed at check-in and check-out was efficient.

So, overall, I had a very good stay; the hotel met all of my needs as a business traveler and even provided a few perks. Business travel is taking me to the area again soon, and I'll be back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you so much for your thorough and well written review of our property. While reading it, I feel you described us perfectly as a hotel. I'm so glad you found our amenities convenient for business travel. We recently upgraded our business center with brand new Macs and PCs and definitely agree that it's user friendly. We even offer scanning and printing at no extra fee.

I'm so glad that you felt like a valued guest and appreciated the special touches we offer at check in and throughout your stay. We loved having you as our guest and hope to see you again soon when business (or leisure) brings you to the Skokie area.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was fine, nice room, dinner was great! I had the Ahi and the steaks looked awesome. Breakfast was overpriced and average taste. Service at dinner and breakfast was non-existent! The front desk staff was as good as I have ever experienced.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I'm so glad you enjoyed your hotel stay with us, especially your sleeping room and delicious dinner. Also, I'm so glad you had such a positive service experience with our front desk staff and am sorry to hear that you did not have the same experience in the restaurant. We appreciate all feedback from our guests. We are able to use your comments as training tools in order to continually improve our service to our valued guests.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We hope to see you back at the DoubleTree Chicago North Shore when your travels bring you to the Skokie area.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in Skokie doubletree for a family visit. You could see the Hilton style everywhere in the design, but mostly at the service! The front desk, dining room, bell boys and maintenance got all out of their way to make us feel good. Being a hhonors member was really recognized - lots of good little benefits like free food items at the hotel convenience store, free glass of wine at the bar, and so on. Loved it!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for reviewing our lovely hotel. I'm so glad you felt the love as a Hilton Honor's member. We try our best to show our appreciation and I'm glad we succeded in making you feel speical as our guest. We hope to see you again soon when you are in the North Shore area.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I travel to this hotel at least once a year for a 4 night stay that is work-related - there are usually about 150 in our group. About 20 minutes from airport in suburban commercial/retail area. Hotel has aged and is probably due for a major face-lift. However, rooms are clean, functional, and staff are generally friendly and helpful. Catered food definitely better than restaurant, though bar is pretty nice place to hang out. Many very nice restuarants within walking distance.

Room Tip: Fabulous steakhouse just up the street - EJ's. Hotel shuttle will drive you up if you don't...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As an annual repeat guest, your insight is especially valuable. We are glad you enjoy the food served during your conference as well as cocktail's in Jameson's Charhouse, attached to us. We continually work to improve our hotel and hope that each year you see something better than last year. Our staff is more than happy to assist you during your business trip each year and we promise to keep our friendly smiles coming! See you again next year, sooner hopefully!
Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel was chosen by our daughter and her future in-laws as the locale for travelling wedding guests. the booking staff made sure that all members of the bride's family (none of us living in the US) were on one floor - we had a mini family reunion! The location was terrific, with every convenience anyone could need within walking distance. The decor is a tad dated but the beds were very comfortable. The room was nice and quiet; having a refrigerator was a God-send.

Our son uses a wheelchair and cannot be left alone so it would have been nice to have a double room with wheelchair access. But the hotel only has accessible singles. We found the bathroom to be very small and marginally unsafe for him as he requires assistance there as well. There really isn't room for two people.

Every member of the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Especially Samir at the front desk - he is Mr Hospitality, no doubt, but I think he works too much! He was there ALL the time, or so it seemed. Another of the desk clerks was extraordinarily helpful when a member of our group lost a cell phone in a cab, and although the phone wasn't tracked down, the effort made to try and recover it was above and beyond. The ladies who provide housekeeping services were very friendly, cheerful, efficient and work very hard to ensure every guest is satisfied. We certainly were.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreicate and take your comments to heart. We are so glad that you got to experience Samir's warm and friendly service during your stay, we agree, he is wonderful. I'm glad you also found our housekeeping employees to be cheerful and helpful. We hope to see you again the next time you visit the North Shore area!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed here again for work and I must say that my stay was improved (see my last review). This time, the wifi signal was stronger and less (if any) drops. I do like the location, next to the mall. The offer of waters or coffee was a nice touch - and the breakfast in the morning is a nice touch. I did see the changes from my last visit and I'd recommend this hotel and will likely stay here if in the area again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad you noticed! We recently went through an extensive WiFi upgrade and have been receiving nothing but compliments about signal strength and ease of service. And, of course, it's still FREE. Thank you for taking time out of your busy life to share your experience with other travelers.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!