“Split personality”

Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Reviewed June 14, 2013

One side of the Hotel is opulent with chandeliers, plush carpet and a nice feel the other side of the hotel is a tired old washer women in need of a make over.

I asked for my room to be changed as I could not stand the smell of chlorine that permeated the hotel ..no one used the pool the whole time I was there yet it stinks out an entire section of the hotel..it is foul and frankly a health hazard. The pool had that cloudy murky look that was not inviting anyway....best they put a cover on it and take it off the once a year when someone wants to use it.

IF, however, you stay in what they call the embassy suites you can plan your route around the hotel to avoid the smell.

My room was OK but it used to be a smoking room that is now sold as a non smoking room. Years of smoking has left a stench in the room that is not going to go away in a hurry.
Once in the room you got used to it and you did not smell it but it hits you every time you enter.

The bar was very cool...lots of TVs, good service and good food and beer selection. I watched a BlackHawkes playoff game and it was packed and fun.

The breakfast buffet really stretched the word buffet...my advice is to buy off the breakfast menu which is great value for money..service was good.

Overall the staff tried hard and were pleasant.

Room Tip: stay only in the business suites unless you get a super cheap deal elsewhere in the hotel. Ask fo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Chris C,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am glad that you found our hotel bar and service commendable. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced due to the unusual smell of the room and pool you experienced. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into.

Once again, we do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you the improvements made.

Zelyn N

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had a rather complicated rate package my travel agent booked (screwed up) for my stay. Then I wanted to change to an earlier check out...Elizabeth took care of everything, without batting an eye. Top notch service. Nice facility, too. Pool ant hot tub sparkling clean, accessible and adjusted just right. Reasonably convenient to the city and north suburbs (except at rush hour--which is all day in Chicago).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Skokie. As I did not pay attention I booked a smoking room. As much as the staff was extremely helpful and seemed to go out of their way to assist, it was not possible to switch to a non-smoking room.
I had forgotten how horrible it was during the days when smokers were king! Unfortunately this room had a terrible smell that caught you at the throat.
Otherwise, the hotel is what you would expect, albeit starting to show its age.
Renovations, and fully non-smoking rooms will vastly improve the experience.

Room Tip: Make sure to select a non-smoking room, unless you are a die hard smoker.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sir_Top-Hat
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Dear Sir_Top-Hat,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. Please allow to us apologize for the experience you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Anthony M

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The rooms smell like chlorine..they are old..the plug for one of the lamp and alarm clock was behind the bed so every time you sit or move on the bed the light and clock would shut off. The ac was weak and the iron was old and did no justice to my dress shirt. The towels smell too. We went for a wedding over memorial day weekend 2013 and the food was horrible and gave multiple people in my family the bug. The service was horrible and you couldn't find anyone when you needed something. The sweet elderly lady at the front desk was amazing though..she checked me in at 9am because i was respectful and said my please and thank you but other than that everything else was bad. The owners really need to do some work. many people this weekend were disappointed.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms at this hotel, even their VIP rooms are old and smelly
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AVChicago2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Ajay P,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Skokie, IL.

Orlando A.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our room had no window to the outside, only to the interior hallway. And smelled like chlorine. The A/C I our first room refereed to a thermostat on the wall to control it, but there wasn't a thermostat. When we showed this to the manager he looked around and said, "I don't know what to tell you" (!) We asked for another room, hoping for an improvement in the other aspects, but just got the room next door. We had to put a parking pass on her car, but even then there wasn't any parking due to the late and loud events at the Conference Center. To cap it off, the smoke alarm in the room beeped at 2 AM. I took the battery out, unplugged it from the wall, and it still beeped. And the phone had no cord to call the front desk. The beds were hard, the floor was dirty. We'll never stay there again, even if it was convenient.

2  Thank FuzzyGoat
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear ckidwell,

Thank you for your feedback. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests and I am disappointed we were unable to meet this during your stay. Please accept my apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the overall condition of the hotel facilities, amenities and level of staff service encountered. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope to serve you again soon.

Zelyn N

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed for a week at this hotel. We were in the smoking wing, so did not hear noise from the pool and atrium, but I would not want to have a room overlooking the atrium as the windows look "out" to the inside. Our room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the loading dock area, but there was minimal noise from deliveries, nothing that was disturbing. We had a nice flat screen TV, microwave and frig which was helpful. Most of the service was acceptable, however housekeeping could never seem to leave hand towels, washclothes and other items. We had to call for something every day whether towels, soap or toilet paper. The first time I called the customer service rep was rather rude. I told her that housekeeping had only left 1 hand towel and 1 washcloth; and when we checked in there were 4 of each. She said, well, how many do you want? I said there had been 4 at check in, to which she replied again "how many do you want" rather rudely. I would think that she would have been able to do the math and have housekeeping bring us 3 more of each. Plus running out of toilet paper when housekeeping makes up the rooms daily is ridiculous. Though each time we called for items, they were brought up to us promptly. We ordered from Bar Louie's twice; I highly recommend the Voodoo Chicken. We also ate lunch once at Bar Louie's; I think the waitresses name was Paula; she was wonderful. The beds could use replacing; they are very hard. The pool is unmonitored. The first day there was a huge group of loud kids throwing footballs etc. Not a very good impression. We also saw a group of 20 something's drinking out of beer bottles while sitting in the pool. Glass and pools are not a good combination. I highly recommend that staff of the hotel figure out a way to monitor the pool. All told, I would stay here again, however. The price is fair, the parking is free and the location was convenient for our purposes.

1  Thank Margaret W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Margaret W,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay. Your feedback is important in our continuous drive for excellence. We are glad that you liked our convenient location.

I am disappointed that you had some issues with our housekeeping services. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience our staff has caused you. We assure you that your experience was not the standard operating procedure in our hotel, as such, your comment will be looked into to ensure that same scenario will be avoided in the future.

Your comments are important as it is our primary resource in im improving our services. While we understand that your experience is not 100% satisfactory, we still hope that you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Dhan M

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My mother and me stayed at this hotel from April 28-May 3 for a mini-vacation. There are good things and bad things about this hotel. It is a rather 'strange' property with no big signs indicating that this is a Holiday inn.

The inside of the hotel is nice and clean. There is a nice hall with ceiling chandeliers on the east side from the check-in desk. The pool is on the west side of the hotel, in the atrium near the in-house restaurant. This pool is not enclosed so you would be swimming in an open view, air-conditioned atrium area where anyone could come out of their room, or walk by, and see you frolicking in the water in your swimsuit. This could be a problem for those who are self-conscious. I found the area clean and different but strange. Their are no hours clearly posted, at least none I could see, and I don't think this is a good idea for kids. If there are kids using this pool beware because the noise could ruin your trip and disturb guests. Luckily nobody used the pool during our stay. I found the placement of this pool both strange and unique. I've never seen this before. Also, there is a very small workout room right next to the in-house restaurant and pool. The placement of this is strange as well. Anybody walking by could watch you working out. it could be a little creepy with people eating while they watch you workout.

The location is great. There is a Sanders restaurant right next door- like in the parking lot of the hotel. There is a McDonalds across one street and a Burger King across another street. If you like to walk there is shopping center across the street as well. There are many choices there including, Best Buy, Chili's, Chuck E. Cheese, Jewel-Osco, among many other restaurants and stores. You have to cross a very busy street to get to these stores but they are convenient.

Most of the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Some of them looked like new employees who were learning the job and some of them were confused because of the conference crowd. Linda was very nice and she knew my name and recognized me. She even remembered our conversation on the phone. I was impressed with her.

The rooms are standard. We had two doubles on the first floor. If you can, get a room on the first floor to avoid any crowds and the elevators. The beds are terrible, very hard and uncomfortable, so if you have a bad back you will have problems. The TV was old and there are very few channels available. The only premium channel is HBO which seem to run the same show over and over. The remote was so old you could not make out the words on the buttons. The closet was strange. It was near the door and open with no door to close. All of your things are out in the open. The microwave and fridge were old as well. The bathroom was decent in size. Surprisingly there was a washer and dryer right next to our room which is useful if you need to do some laundry.

There is an in-house restaurant, Bar Louie, which we did not eat at but it looked okay. It's a bar with drink specials and bar food. It looked inviting just didn't have a chance to go there. Helpful if you want a drink or food and don't want to wander around at night. I can't comment on the quality of the food or drinks.

Now the particularly bad things about this hotel. We arrived about five minutes before check-in. We were assigned a room on the first floor. I was told the room was not ready and would not be ready for at least fifteen more minutes. It was crowded in the lobby as there was a big conference going on so there was some chaos. I waited about 20 minutes, went to the front desk and was told the room still was not ready and would take at least another 15 minutes. We were offered a room on the second floor, but I knew the first floor would be better for my mom so we decided to wait it out. This would not be such an issue if I had requested a first floor room upon arrival but this room was assigned to us weeks before our arrival so I can't understand why the room was not ready. After waiting another 15 minutes I went back to the front desk and the staff was entirely different. When I asked about the room the frond desk clerk checked and said there was no problem and the room was ready. Nobody let us know that the room was ready and the staff person acted as if nothing was wrong. No apology - nothing. Maybe she was not aware of how long we had been waiting. I told her when I was at the desk but I didn't want to make a big deal out of it so I just took the keys and went on my way. I still feel that the length of time it took them to get that room ready was unacceptable. Their housekeeping staff was way behind schedule. I recommend not arriving early unless you are willing to accept a different room that may be available.

The worst part of this stay was the broken toilet. At the end of our stay we discovered very late in the evening that the toilet would not flush - at all. So we called the front desk and after awhile they sent a maintenance person who said that the toilet was indeed broken. We were not responsible for this and could not understand what happened. We were then moved to a room on the second floor. That was a big pain and we were not happy about it. There was nothing we could do. They did say they would compensate me with 1000 points (which I haven't yet confirmed) but I really don't care about the points so that was useless.

All in all for the price paid I shouldn't complain. The reason I gave the hotel an average rating is because of the wait upon check-in, the bathroom issue, the beds and the TV. Otherwise, the hotel is okay. I would advise that guests be careful because there are many uneven floor surfaces. There are small steps that you might trip over here and there so be aware. Also find out if there are conferences going on during your stay. This will prepare you for any delays.

It is helpful to be a Priority Club member. I am a member but because I did not book my stay with the hotel directly, I did not get any perks associated with my membership, except for maybe parking. If you are a member and book your stay through the hotel you should get points and they let you spin a wheel for a prize. The money I saved on my booking far out-weighed any prize on that wheel unless it was a free stay or free nights which I'm sure I would not have been lucky enough to win. If you do book through another party be sure that you get a receipt when you check-out. I was told that because I did not book through the hotel they could not provide me with a check-out receipt and I should get the receipt from the party through which I booked the reservation. That is ridiculous. You need a receipt to check that there are no unauthorized charges on the credit card you provide upon check-in. Unless you don't care you should have proof that you did check-out on time and have a zero balance. This was very annoying and the staff should be told that if a customer requests a check-out receipt, they should get it without a hassle.

Room Tip: - Ask for a room on the first floor near the exit doors so you can come and go with ease, but be car...
1  Thank shellyc653

Dear scarlchan,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, we truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Rogers Park
Hampton Inn Chicago North - Loyola Station

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)? Share your experiences!