“A vegetarian can eat here but........”
Review of Portillo's

Portillo's
Ranked #2 of 48 Restaurants in Shorewood
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Union, Missouri
“A vegetarian can eat here but........”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

First off I gave them the benefit of the doubt by giving them a 4 instead of a 3 since I am vegetarian. We heard a lot about this place and how great they are so we looked and saw they have a veggie sandwich and decided to check it out. Upon arrival we noticed they had 5 or 6 employees working the drive-thru to keep it moving which I think is great! After going inside it was a little hard at first to figure out where to go to order but we figured it out. For vegetarians they only have the one veggie sandwich and a garden salad. We both ordered the veggie sand and fries but what I thought was weird was that we had to pick up our fries and drinks at one spot and then the sandwiches on the other side of the restaurant. I didn't really understand that but whatever works for them I guess. The veggie sandwich was ok....it was basically zucchini, squash, red pepper and cheese. It did have good flavor and I ate it all even though I'm not a huge fan of squash and zucchini. The fries were really great other than they were the saltiest fries I've ever had and I like salty fries.....but these were crazy salty. They were really busy and you could tell a lot of people like it and I hear their beef sandwich is good but no thank you. Based on the worker organization and reviews of other people I've talked to I decided to give it a 4......based on being a vegetarian I would have given it a 3.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank ScooterMcKyle

“Great Fries.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Their french fries are always hot. The service is quick and the quality is consistent. The lemon cake and chocolate cake shake are decadent and worth the calories.

Visited March 2013
Shorewood, Illinois
“Consistent”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Plenty of good comfort food here... Casual dining. Like the cheeseburgers, chicago style hotdogs and strawberry shortcake.

Visited February 2013
Peoria, Illinois
“Introduced a friend to the world of Portillo's!”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I brought a friend to her first visit to Protillo's since we live a few hours away. She loved it! She had the beef sandwich with peppers and fries. She enjoyed it so much she got a big beef to go for her son to eat when we got back home. He loved it too so they are now planning a trip to Chicagoland to enjoy some Portillo's together.

I had the beef sandwich dipped (yep, messy!) with fries and a shake. I also got the "beef to go" package (includes beef/gravy/bread) and surprised my family since they love it too.

Tips: This place gets busy during peak hours. When we arrived they had people outside taking orders. We always dine inside just to avoid the headaches of trying to place an order outside. Also, if you are a newbie, study the large print menu board while you are waiting. Once you hit the counter it is expected that you know what you want. But let's face it, if you are a newbie you are there for a beef sandwich. Now just decide if you want hot peppers, sweet pepper or none; cheese or not, and how messy you want the gravy (Dry-why?, extra gravy-a little extra au jus on it or dipped-now you're talking!)

• Visited February 2013
Joliet, Illinois
“You will have to wait for the wrong order!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you are at the Portillo's in ShorewoodI, go inside and you will have about 90% fewer problems than you will have if you go through the drive thru. The food is always good but no matter what you get you will most likely be told to go park and they will bring you your order. CHECK THE ORDER when they bring it to you or you are sure to be disappointed when you get home and see your order is wrong.

Visited February 2013