“Wonderful place for a family reunion!”
Review of Shelby Inn

Shelby Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shelbyville
Chicago West Suburbs, IL
“Wonderful place for a family reunion!”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We just had our family reunion and we all stayed at The Shelby Inn. It was clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. The air conditioning was wonderful considering how hot and humid it was while we were there. The only downfall was that they were advertising free breakfast which they did not offer, but said they lowered the price of the room because of this. It would have been nice to know ahead of time rather than find out the morning you wake up that they no longer offer breakfast. It is a very cute and quaint place and we will definitely stay there again if we are in the area.

Room Tip: You definitely want to stay in one of the larger buildings. The small building behind the lobby has...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Otwell, Indiana
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We were finishing the last evening of an 11 day motorcycle ride that covered 1500+ miles. As we headed into Shelbyville, IL, we spotted the Shelby Inn, a pretty home that we thought at first was a bed and breakfast. We're not strong b&b types, much preferring the old "mom and pop" motels of yesteryear. Much to our delight, in behind this lovely home are the small, one-story connected rooms we were looking for! And, for someone wanting something a bit more modern and larger, there are two stories of newer rooms as well. The Shelby Inn is very reasonably priced, has friendly and helpful inn keepers that very much exemplify the cozy town of Shelbyville. Do give them a try!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank twhighbanks
New Lenox, IL
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We have been staying at the Shelby Inn for years. Ken and his "crew" are friendly and fun to be around. The morning coffee clutch with guests and locals is worth the trip. You may be able to find a cheaper room, but you won't find the charm that you will find at the Shelby Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Safety39
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We discovered this hidden gem by accident. We were originally booked at another location that closed suddenly. Needing 6 rooms for a family gathering with only a few days notice we were extremely fortunate to come across this wonderful place. Each room is unique and extremely clean. We plan on going to this area again and we will definately stay at the Shelby Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank janlapke
missouri
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We travel to Shelbyville, Il twice a year, once over/near the New Year and once over/near the 4th of July always staying at the Shelby Inn, easliy for the past 7-8 years. We have always chuckled at the antics of the proprietor. What with being one of only two hotels in Shelbyville, a town of 5000 and a tourist area (Lake Shelbyville) we had little choice. After this weekends stay we'll sleep on the floor. Just a few of the things we have ignored: yellowed sheets and towels and threadbare blankets, flat old pillows, rock hard matresses, rooms that are left at 50 degrees when we arrive in the winter, hot and humid in the summer, 10am wake-up phone calls you did not ask for, no maid service if you sleep or stay in too late. The cold or hot rooms when we arrive but also after they clean your room they turn the heat/cool way down or off. If you don't remember to swing back by to turn it back up or down before you return to retire you'll hang out in your winter coat til it's warm enough to change into PJs and get under the thin threadbare blankets or sweat til the cool catches up. This is on 2 and 3 night stays and happens each day they "clean". The 10 AM phone calls are meant to dislodge (pun intended) from your slumber so they can clean and turn off the air and be done with their day. I usually remember to pull the phone off the hook. I forgot and yes, just like clock work my son and I were awakened by the 10 o'clock phone call with no one there. We visit family and my other son and husband had gone early to visit the family that lives in Shelbyville. I called the husband and he came to pick us up. Another couple had been placed outside their room with baggage in tow and asked us if we were being removed too? No was our reply and we chuckled! Then this morning when while I was sitting on the commode at 9:25 ish (check out is 11am and this was our last day) the cleaning staff came in and without so much as a knock let themselves in and opened the door on me! Not a chuckle. Mr. Propietor had only excuses, had I left the door open (no) had they knocked (absolutly no). He wasn't even sorry to hear we wouldn't be back (as I said only two hotels). So there are few choices but remember to bring an extra blanket and stop toturn on your heat/air.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank ruralgourmet
South Dakota
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We stayed in Shelbyville while visiting family in surrounding communities. The Shelby Inn was a delightful motel. The owner and staff were pleasant and accommodating. Our room was very nice, we opted to stay in a "Double-Double". The beds were comfortable and we had a nice sitting area to use when we wanted to relax. So what if you have to provide your own shampoo and hairdryer, we'd stay at the Shelby Inn anytime we're in the area again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Drywood
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 28, 2007

This is the town where my family lives...so generally I stay with my family. This time due to late hours I was going to keep...i didn't want to inconvinience anyone so I opted to stay at the local hotel that I had seen hundreds of times but never really batted an eye at.

If you come to Shelbyville for the lake or for anything else...I give this hotel EXTREMELY high marks!! The room was updated, clean and comfortable. They have a newer section with bigger rooms and I opted for the older section with smaller rooms...I must tell you that there was very little that was old about the room.

There was a HUGE snowstorm...the next day it was always plowed and the sidewalks were always cleaned off. The staff was extremely friendly and attentive.

I really feel this hotel is a gem. So my recomendation is if you are passing through...go see the beautiful lake and stay here...I gurantee you won't be dissapointed.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Exterior Corridor
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank dougers79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelbyville
La Quinta Inn & Suites Effingham
#5 of 19 in Effingham
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#9 of 19 in Effingham

Been to Shelby Inn? Share your experiences!