Chestnut Street Inn
Priceline
  • Room Service
$83
$79
All reviewsb bthe blue roomfriendly hostscoconut macaroonsseparate bedroomsgluten sensitivitybeautiful historic homecentral ilantique storeslovely accommodationssitting porchgourmet diningmother daughterwonderful bed and breakfastshrimp scampicomfortable nightperfect getaway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed here September 2011. We made our reservations at the last minute and we were lucky enough to stay the weekend that Monica does an all chocolate menu. The only room available was the Rosewood suite which meant we could dine in our room, otherwise the dinner was sold out. The room was lovely, large comfortable bed and nice sitting area. They thought of everything, there were DVD's to watch, magazines to read, bubble bath and even a fan. The room wasn't hot, I just like the sound of a fan to go to sleep. The meal served in our room was excellent, each course was brought up and explained. It was so good I couldn't eat all of my dessert and it was chocolate creme brûlée, my favorite. The breakfast the next day was just as good, we chose to eat in the dining room with the other guests. Once everyone was served Monica and Jeff joined us for wonderful conversation. We will be going back soon.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lives2shop
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Our first stay at the Chestnut Street Inn was back in April 2008. We had such a marvelous time that we swore that we would return again sometime in the future. We decided to go ahead and make plans to return in November of this year. We spent 3 nights during our stay in November. We spent 1 night in the Blue Room and 2 nights in the Rosewood Suite. Monika is an amazing Chef so we ate all of our breakfasts and dinners at the Inn. We had such a wonderful experience during our first stay that we didn't think that it could be possible for the second stay to be even better than the first. This second stay was even better. All of Monika's meals are nothing short of delicious! I have Gluten and MSG intolerances and Monika is great when it comes to dealing with different food issues. Monika and Jeff are very nice and gracious Innkeepers. They go above and beyond in everything that they do for their guests and it shows. The Christmas decorations were up during this stay and it was so nice being able to enjoy in the festivities at the Inn. We really wish that we lived closer because we would stay more often if we didn't have to drive so far. We have stayed at many places during our travels and we have to say that this is one of our absolute favorites. We highly recommend it. The Chestnut Street Inn is a triple threat-great accommodations, great food and fabulous Innkeepers. You just can't go wrong by staying at this Inn. Hopefully we can return again sometime soon.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the Blue Room and the Rosewood Suite. All of their rooms seem equally nice. The Rosewood Suite is their largest room. It has an adjoining sitting room with a table and chairs. This room is nice if you want to eat breakfast or dinner in your room. This room also has a king size bed and a fireplace.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PrincessLea3
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The Chestnut Street Inn is a gem of a B&B located on a quiet, tree-lined street in a small rural community. From the moment we stepped through the door and were greeted by the aroma of freshly baked bread we felt at home and at ease.
There are many attractions, both scenic and historical, within a half hour's drive. There are also numerous quaint shops and antique stores in the nearby towns. The inn is the perfect place to base yourself for exploring this region.
Jeff and Monika, the innkeepers, are congenial, engaging and enthusiastic hosts dedicated to making your visit enjoyable.
As their website provides ample photos of the inn and the monthly menu list I won't try to describe the decor or all the individual gourmet dishes that Monika prepares. Suffice it to say and the rooms (and beds) are comfy, the plumbing and furnace work just fine, and the common areas are well-decorated, comfortable and conducive to relaxing and mingling with fellow guests.
A big plus was having a wonderful dinner available in the evening after a day of sightseeing. No need to go away from the inn seeking a restaurant. Our meal was Moroccan themed (Monika's specialty) and everything was delicious. The high point of the meal, for me, was the creme brulee, which was the best I've ever eaten. The inn also serves the best coffee that we have ever had at a B&B.
There is a wine list with a limited selection of reasonably priced wines. If you would like to bring your own wine it is very easy to check their website for a description of the evening's dinner so that you can make an appropriate pairing.
We had a thoroughly pleasant stay at exceptional value and look forward to a return visit soon.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blytheIllinois
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My first visit was in winter, and now I've had the pleasure of a summer escape. I've come to appreciate the fact that Chestnut Street is an inn for all seasons!!!

This visit I stayed in the Federal Room. (It's the room right behind the large window above the front entrance to the inn.) I LOVE that room! I could have easily sequestered myself in my room for the entire two day visit! But that would have meant I would have missed the company of my friends ( both my traveling companions and the innkeepers----Monika and Jeff-----who will be your friends too after your first visit), the rest of the beautiful house (I love the sunroom!), and of course the GOURMET CUISINE!!! What a package ----- all the comforts and amenities of a prize winning B & B and fabulous food to boot! Do yourself a favor and book a reservation soon!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Larry S
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Every time we visit the Chestnut Street Inn, we are bowled over by the hospitality and gourmet food. This visit was no exception, and it was all the more enjoyable because we were joined by a dear friend. With four beautiful rooms in this historical property, this B&B is a great place to plan reunions and rendezvous with friends. My husband has enjoyed playing at the two conveniently located golf courses, and I’ve enjoyed days of beauty at Sophisticuts Salon & Spa. The innkeepers at Chestnut Street Inn go out of their way to plan fun and relaxing activities for guests, but the real story about this inn is the food. Dinner the first night was a Moroccan feast, which included Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Zucchini Chips, Roasted Beet, Orange and Goat Cheese Salad, Tagine of Beef with Sweet Potatoes, Cinnamon and Orange Blossom Crème Brulee. Breakfast the next morning was made to order for me since I am on a diet, and included fluffy eggs scrambled in truffle oil with broccoli and fresh local fruits. Chef Monika is the author of two cookbooks, and an award-winning gluten-free, vegetarian, or dietary-specific gourmet food magician. The second night’s dinner was Indian-inspired with Spicy Bean Soup, Cucumber Raita, Tomato and Scallion Salad, Chicken Curry with Rice, Strawberry and Ginger Sorbet. Dinner is only $30/person with huge portions, and the quality of the courses and menu are what one would expect to easily pay $100+/person for in any metro area. The hospitality is top-notch, rooms so well-appointed, beds blissful, and the cuisine is an Epicurean’s dream on Chestnut Street!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the highest beds in Illinois -- our suite was fantastic!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple