“A VERY pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Z Best Cafe on Main
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bolingbrook, Illinois, United States
“A VERY pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family was passing through Saturday evening on the way back to the Chicago suburbs and found Z Best Cafe on our GPS and expected to find a typical small town cafe/diner where we could get a simple meal..................boy was I pleasantly wrong.

The hostess politely told us that the earliest available table was at 7:30 (1.5 hrs. later!!) As my wife took my 2 oldest kids to the restroom I began searching my phone for the nearest McDonalds when the hostess informed me that we could sit at 1/2 of a current customer's table that wasn't being used. Having worked in other restaurants in the past, that just doesn't happen.

Needless to say, the service and friendliness of the staff was bar none. The family that we sat next to, literally shoulder-to-shoulder, were kind to my 3 kids and provided us with kind conversation.

Now, to the food. I would drive from the western suburbs to Sheffield (nearly 2 hrs.) to eat at Z Best Cafe. They provided my kids with a makeshift kids meals of freshly breaded "chicken strips," seasoned fries and Mac & Cheese. My wife had coconut shrimp that rivaled anything around here, and I had an amazing stuffed pork loin that melted in my mouth.

• Visited August 2013

Ankeny, Iowa
“Fresh, Local, Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

You would be extremely hard pressed to find anything near Sheffield this good (I still can't believe it's this close to us). The best little small town restaurant I've ever been to outside of the Lincoln Cafe in Mount Vernon IA. http://foodisimportant.com/about-the-lincoln-cafe/

Service is quick but patient. The menu is focused (how many places go nuts with too many choices) but still varied.

We have never had a bad anything here. The Apple & Onion Soup is awesome.

The attention to detail and care they put into the food is evident in everything they do.

Make sure and reserve if you can... Friday's are busy. Also leave room for desert...

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank lebowskiwatcher
Illinois City, Illinois
“Small Town Gourmet Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Ever so good! I can make a meal on their appetizers. The mussels were awesome and the bread pudding is too good. This little restaurant is tucked away in the country, but the chef has been to the big city. His menu is varied, presented well and with good portions. I've never left disappointed. If I had any requests, it would be that they go back to the larger wine list.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Jac61349
Princeton, Illinois, United States
“A hidden gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We took our extended family (some from big cities) to this nondescript storefront in the one old downtown block of Sheffield. They thought I was pulling a prank until we all went inside and sat down to a great evening of wonderful food. This restaurant will hold it's own with any metropolitan area establishment. The food is well prepared, delicious, and very high quality. The chef is an artist. Do get reservations because they only accept the number of customers they can handle well. If you are in the area and interested in a great dining experience, come to Z Best!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Norm F
Princeton, Illinois
“More than meets the eye!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is our favorite local place to dine. Do NOT let the drive to Sheffield / out of the way location stop you. The local art work, murals, and exposed brick give this place a lot of charm. In addition, the food is amazing. The chef is dedicated to local and organic produce and meat. The beef and pork come from the area and are hormone-free.
The specials change weekly, however I love the corn-crusted catfish with crab. Last time my DH had the pork belly and just raved. The soup is often inventive and made on site. There is no kids menu, however the chef is happy to whip up some grilled cheese or a simple chicken breast as needed. My kids like most of the salads and the spin art chicken with artichokes.
Be sure you call ahead for a reservation. There is limited seating and the place often sells out, and there is no comfortable place to wait for a table.
There are a variety of steak options and burgers too. But don't be fooled. This is high-end food. In the city, the meal would be twice the price. My only complaint is the limited beer and wine selections. Most are rather low-end to be paired with such excellent food.

• Visited December 2012