“Excellent getaway!”
Review of Hickory Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shannon
Hickory Hideaway
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I cannot say enough good things about this place. The cabins are immaculately clean, cozy and extremely comfortable. The rate was amazing for the amenities. The owners were friendly and nice, while still giving guests more than enough privacy. I would highly recommend the hideaway for romantic getaways.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 19, 2011

The only thing I could say about our stay that I didn't like was that it wasn't long enough! The pictures on the website didn't do the place justice. I was extremely impressed with the luxury cabin that we stayed in. And it was a trip for our anniversary, and Sherry and George made our stay even more amazing. They knew the area very well, had tons of great suggestions for things to do, since we were un familiar with the area. They even did a bit extra to make sure our anniversary was even more memorable. I originally thought this would be a one time trip for my girlfriend and I, but after staying there, I am definitely going to find a way to go back. I have never been so impressed with a cabin, and especially with how well George and Sherry made our stay amazing. The cabin was in excellent condition, everything was extremely clean, and I think they were even sound proof to some extent. It was one of the most quiet and peaceful places I have ever been. The location is perfectly located, out far from everything, and yet only like a 10-15 minute trip to a town for groceries etc... Also I thought the price was a steal. Especially for everything that came with it, not only was the room amazing, but all the extra stuff George and Sherry provide with help on where to go, how nice they are and personable, and they have tons of panflets and coupons etc... I can't say enough how amazing this place is. I will definitely make my way back there!

Room Tip: I thought the luxury cabin was amazing! And very romantic.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

George and Sherry are real gems. They make your stay special.

• Stayed: September 2011
geowdv, Owner at Hickory Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Sorry we didn't thank you earlier; just noticed your review today. Thank you very much.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed for a weekend getaway. We had a great time. The hideaway location is perfect for couples that just need to let go of the interruptions of everyday that come between couples!!!!!!!!!! the cabin is so clean, we felt so at home! The only downside, had nothing to do with the resort. "the locals" were not very welcoming to us but needless to say we enjoyed the owners and their property! If you pick this location, bring your cooler packed so you dont have to look for dining out .

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dd_br0wn
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed in a Luxury Cabin - perfect name for it! Once Sherri opened the door - I was in love! CLEAN! Comfy carpeting, cozy atmosphere, romantic tub, basic needs for living in(micro/coffee maker/fridge) with perfect personal touches. George and Sherri were extremely helpful if we needed anything - and at the same time, completely respected our privacy. We brought a lounge chair and hammock and relaxed out front under the covered porch...loved the Shannon Cafe for a good home cooked breakfast - not to mention - cheap! Ate dinner at Rafters in Lena and the Lake Carroll Country Club - preferred the Club (due to location and food quality) atmosphere nicer at Rafters. This is the place to get away (hideaway) we didn't go out too much, just for meals and walks. So excited that it's open year round and for us less than a 2hr drive...so, see you again soon!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We just returned from a 2 night stay at Hickory Hideaway with our two grandchildren 11 & 13. Upon leaving, all of us commented, “We wish we could have stayed longer”. An annual event when our grandchildren visit from Miami each year is to stay at a cabin/cottage for a few days. We only wish we had found Hickory Hideaway sooner. Of all the places we have stayed, this was truly the best experience. We stayed in a Family-Stay Cottage, which was perfect. The bedroom was great, and the sofa bed worked well for our granddaughter. George also brought in a cot for our grandson to use. The table and chairs were really handy for eating breakfast in the morning, and the children enjoyed choosing movies to watch each evening from the huge selection available at the Office. Of course, we had to pry the kids away from the outdoor games (Frisbee, “Throw” game, Volleyball) and the bonfire, where they roasted marshmallows and made “S’mores”. Chase and Willow, the two resident dogs, captured the children’s hearts, and added to the whole experience. George took us around and showed us all of the various units, and we have already booked one of the Luxury Cabins for our anniversary in January. We are also looking forward to a visit in the fall, when the beautiful grounds will be even more appealing, if that is possible. If you are looking for a wonderful place to relax and enjoy yourselves, book into Hickory Hideaway. George and Sherry are fabulous hosts, and it is in an area close to many places of interest for people of all ages (Galena, Mississippi Palisades State Park for eagle watching, Dubuque & its many attractions, and several local wineries). I know we can’t wait to go back, and our grandchildren have already put it on their list as THE place to stay when they return next summer. Thank you George and Sherry for a great, great time!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I can't say enough good things about Hickory Hideaway. The cabins are very clean, cozy, and pretty - you can sit on the deck and watch for eagles or even gaze at the beautiful stars at night. The owners are extremely accommodating and friendly - literally above and beyond anywhere I've stayed in the past. It was peaceful and relaxing, and is a great environment for everyone from entire families to a couples retreat or a girlfriend getaway. If you like to be on the move, you have dining, shopping, hiking, and entertainment nearby - Mississippi Palisades is gorgeous and definitely a 'must-see' & I would definitely recommend Raven's Grin Haunted House (which, I was surprised, is open year round). I will definitely be returning - and I definitely recommend it to everyone I know.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Anjelkat
geowdv, Owner at Hickory Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2011

Hi Julie,
We can't thank you enough for the kind words and for selecting our accommodations. You three were a lot of fun and we enjoyed having you as our guests.
Kindly,
George & SHerry

Been to Hickory Hideaway? Share your experiences!