“Shabby but comfortable”

Quality Inn O'Hare Airport
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Schiller Park
Reviewed February 22, 2013

A colleague and I needed to drive into the O'Hare area for a weekend seminar and with an impending winter storm, we came up a night early and booked a couple of rooms here because of the price. This hotel definitely needs some updates and is a bit worn for wear, but it was a comfortable stay at about half the price of the conference hotel a few miles up the road. The worst part of staying here was we had rooms on the 2nd floor and brought in all of our luggage because of the cold and for safety reasons. There is no elevator, so we had to lug our luggage up the stairs. A nice staff member saw me with the cart at the bottom of the stairs and helped me carry things upstairs. The cushion in the easy chair in my room had the zipper broken on the cover, and the coffee pot had a little scungy water left in the reservoir. The staff brought me another coffee pot, but I noticed a film in it, too, and opted to stick to bottled water for the duration of my stay. The complimentary breakfast in the restaurant downstairs was good. It had three kinds of fresh fruit, light yogurt, hard boiled eggs, muffins, breads, cereal, juices, coffee, milk, cereal and hot waffles. I was definitely able to make a diabetes-friendly meal by being careful with my selection of carbs and proteins. The bed was definitely comfortable and I got a good night's rest. For me, the staff was very accommodating. I am diabetic and had insulin with me that needed refrigerated. There was no fridge in the room, but the staff was kind enough to put it in the fridge behind the registration desk.

Room Tip: The pool is outdoors in Illinois, so it is definitely seasonal. There is no in-room fridge or micr...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DebDoty

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I spent two separate nights at the QI O'hare in January to breakup an international trip from Alaska to Turkey and this hotel served its purpose which was a comfortable room, close to the airport that had shuttle service. I agree with several reviewers the furnishings and decor are in need of an updating; however, it was still comfortable. My first room had no problems but the second had more profound wear and tear and some cleanliness issues with the carpet and walls.

The front desk staff is friendly and efficient and recognized the fact that I'm an Elite Member of Choice Hotels Program which is nice, the second stay I requested a late check out due to a later afternoon flight which they granted without hesitation. The lobby area is bright and very clean with complimentary coffee 24/7.

It's a rather large property spread out over two separate buildings. I was in the main building both times and on the main floor; however, my room was quite a distance from the front desk and lobby area.

A nice feature is the restaurant/lounge since there are no other options within easy walking distance. The menu is rather simple and straight forward. The bar is well stocked and the service friendly.

The complimentary breakfast was nice with several choices including boiled eggs, breads, cold cereals and good fruit as well as the omnipresent waffle maker you find at most Choice Hotels.

Complimentary shuttle service toand from O'hare runs frequently; however, the walk from your gate and baggage claim is crazy long and for first timers I'm sure quite confusing. I've made the trek several times in the past but I still find it rather annoying.

Many airline crews stay overnight here and it appears they get priority service at the front desk.

Overall I was happy with the location and service but will probably choose a more upscale property next time around.

Room Tip: Request Main Building. I am a smoker and was placed in room 143 and 145 respectively. Not in the bes...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stay anytime we are flying out of O'Hare. We love the park and fly. It is a great value. The staff is friendly. The hotel is clean. Maybe a little dated for some but it suits us just fine. We will continue to stay here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The price was ok, but the hotel is in bad need of updating. Other than that, just an ordinary old hotel. I did like the fact that there is a lounge in the hotel, so you can have a few drinks and dinner if you prefer and you don't have to drive!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I am actually writting this review from the hotel room. For the location and price, this is a very nice stay. The hotel is an older one, but it is well appointed and very clean. The bed is very comfortable. There is a resteraunt and lounge inside the hotel. I have not been there so, I can't comment on those. I am very pleased though with the price and cleanliness. Especially concidering the close proximity to O'hare.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was a little worried because of some of the reviews but booked for a Park and Fly out of Ohare and had no problems. The front desk was friendly and although the room was in need of updating, it was very clean and everything worked well. It also had amenities including a nice coffee maker. There was not a long wait for shuttle to or from the airport. For the price it was defiantly worth it and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

After a hail storm struck O'Hare, I was stranded overnight in Chicago. All hotels filled quickly and I was fortunate to find a room here. My room was old with mysterious stains on the rug. There was a dank, musty smell hanging in the air. Luckily, the bathroom was very clean. A computer with Internet access was available in the lobby.

Breakfast was included but it was not impressive. It was in the restaurant in the lobby. Paper covered the table. The woman at the table next to me had trouble with her paper as it kept flipping up in her face. She took it off and threw it away. While she was still eating, one of the employees insisted she move her food so he could put down new paper. The new paper flipped just the way the first had. Very annoying.

I would not stay here under other circumstances. However, it was preferable to a long night on a cot in the airport.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O'Hare Airport
Holiday Inn & Suites Chicago O'Hare Rosemont
1 mi away
Best Western Plus O'Hare International South Hotel

Been to Quality Inn O'Hare Airport? Share your experiences!