“Not one thing was good at all”
Review of Great Escape

Great Escape
Reserve with OpenTable
Great Escape is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We started by stumbling across the restaurant because we liked the name- big mistake- upon arrival, we were seated, and waited 15 minutes before anybody talked to us at all, then, a man came and said that our server was "too busy: and he'd be taking our order. So we ordered. I asked how the ribs were. he said they were the best, as advertised. I don't know that I've ever had worse ribs at a restaurant. they were terrible at best! Finally, when our server did come over, she finally brought the paper napkin, that the first guy never brought, and she wasn't much better that he was either. On my plate, it came with ribs, rice pilaf, vegetables, and bread was served with the meal (with diet butter!). Ribs weren't that good, vegetables were terrible, rice was terrible, even the bread was terible, and to top it all off, my wife ordered a diet coke, and even that was bad because their "coke gun," (which they said was located in the basement of all places!) was not working right. Never again, never again, NEVER AGAIN! If you enjoy anything good about a restaurant, do not go here!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have been eating at the Great Escape once a week for the last five years or so. It is very clean and nicely decorated. The staff is friendly and efficient; they really try to make your dining experience a pleasure. I have tried many items on the menu and have never been disappointed. They have a beautiful bar area and a large private dining area for events. Whether you are dining with friends, family, or for business, you will not be disappointed. BTW, the owner installed the only wind generator in Chicago. I understand it provides most of the electricity for the restaurant. That is a big commitment and that same commitment to excellence is demonstrated every time I dine at the Great Escape.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Lived in the area for decades and just came across this lovely little place. Great Fish Fry, good warm rolls and beautiful antique bar is separate from the dining room making for a nice, quiet dinner. The bar area is original, built in the late 1800's and was used for saloon scenes in silent movies. The place is haunted and the day I was there with a friend, we stopped by the bar area to admire the tin ceilings and the bartender said the chair had moved twice during his shift. The staff is friendly and well worth a visit!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We ate several times during our stay and every time was wonderful. They have a regular menu as well as daily specials. This place is rich in history, which their old bar and pictures and they have a wind turbine that supplies all their electricity and then some. The staff is very friendly.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Picking nearly at random, we were very happy with this place. We ordered 3 appetizers and dessert, and when we confessed we were short on time because of a flight, they were able to speed dinner along nicely.

The bruschetta was topped with very fresh ingredients, lovely parmesan shavings, though a bit too much balsamic vinegar. The ribs in the appetizer were very tender, sauce was used sparingly. The spinach & cranberry salad was good, the blue cheese wasn't very blue, but I was happy with that.

The lava cakes were yummy.

Service was attentive, the atmosphere was good.