“Serviceable, Needs Improvements”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Schiller Park
East Haven, Connecticut
“Serviceable, Needs Improvements”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I spent two nights for business travel at the Comfort Suites O'Hare. First, the good: All the staff I interacted with were very friendly and helpful. It's 10-15 minutes from the airport and has a shuttle, which is convenient, and there is a restaurant on-site; also convenient. Price is right for what you get: My room was about $75/night. The lobby area looks relatively modern and is comfortable, and coffee is always available there. And having the extra space of a suite, with seating area, fridge, and microwave, is great. Bed was very comfortable.

But there are a number of areas that need some attention. The room I stayed in was definitely in need of a refresh - it was quite dated, and the appliances (alarm clock, coffee maker) were pretty ancient (my coffee maker was actually semi-broken and I had to jerry-rig it to make it work) . Housekeeping services really need some improvement. While it was clear my room was vacuumed daily and the bathroom done, the details were overlooked: My coffee maker was pretty filthy when I checked in, and was not washed at all while I was there; furniture surfaces were not clean; phone looked really grubby; coffee and coffee supplies were not replaced (had to ask front desk), etc. The on-site sports bar-style restaurant is convenient, but don't expect much in the way of menu diversity or high quality (I ate dinner and breakfast there). I really can't believe they charge for the breakfast they offer (though I did get a coupon for one free breakfast during my stay): It's basically the "expanded" Continental breakfast you get for free at places like Hampton Inn. And while it's great they have a shuttle, I waited over 45 minutes for it to arrive after I called the hotel from the airport.

Bottom line: If you have business or travel-related needs that make this hotel's location convenient for you, it's functional and fine. But there are tons of hotels hear the airport that have a better brand reputation. So if you want a better hotel experience - and if you want to be in a "good" area that offers good restaurants, etc. - go elsewhere. The area around the hotel is quite ugly/shabby with very few good dining (or general retail/shopping) options, and not at all "walkable." Also, as others have said, there is a banquet facility attached to the hotel. No events were going on while I was there, but as others have mentioned noise, I would recommend staying on the higher floors if you'll be there when the banquet area is in use.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank GSTravel11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is our 4th stay. Though a slight delay with collection by the hotel shuttle, the driver was helpful and returned quicker than forecast. The complementary (is anything really free?) breakfast provided a good choice. Though the rooms are looking a little "tired" and need updating the facilities are still very good (free WiFi).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David S
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We booked several rooms for family members. Stayed on a Saturday night. Very noisy. Party going on in banquet hall. Could hear the music on the 6th floor. Several calls to front desk. Noise and party continued till 130am. No one seemed to care at front desk. At check out learned the hotel doesn't own the banquet hall and has no control over noise from it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dn C

Travelers are raving about these Schiller Park hotels

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We arrived at the Comfort Inn around midnight as my daughter had a 9 am flight and we live in Wisconsin. I think a party for a 15 year old Latino girl was going on and the music was playing with lots of people around the lobby. My first thought was the music will be over soon because who lets a band play past midnight/12:30 in a hotel. IT WAS AFTER 2:30 IN THE MORNING when the music, or something that resembled music stopped...after my daughter went down to the front desk 3 times to ask when the music would be stopping. They promised 15 minutes ever time!! Then, we had people slamming doors, running in the hallway, and taking the party beyond the banquet room. It was out of control. DO NOT STAY THERE. There are too many other choices.

Room Tip: Don't take anything less than the 5th floor just in case they have another never-ending party.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Angela W
Dearborn, MI
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Nothing fancy, was in a suite with sitting area, frig. micro, coffee maker. So suprised the bed and pillows were very comfortable to me. Stayed here because our organization met for a meeting. Six rooms were booked. There was confusion about payment, they were accomodating to assist us with solutions (we did not have the credit card the treasurer booked with). One of our party's room was not clean-used towels on back of bathroom door and cleaning staff obviously missed the shower, too. They provided a refund for that room. So they were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good and included for free. Rooms are a little old and tired, cleaning staff needs to be more detailed, Overall, I would consider returning because the price was so good. However, after meeting three years here our group probably won't.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
central indiana
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Arriving late in evening, was just there for a few hours. Room was well worn. Lobby was clean and desk clerks adequate. Sheets were thread bare and stained, no alarm clock in room and TV was fuzzy. There are better options in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Adelaide
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We chose this hotel as it was near the airport and offered a free shuttle bus.
On checkin the lady at reception gave me a hard time and refused to use my Australian AAA card and insisted on using my friends who were dropping me there and not even staying.
I booked a wakeup call for 5 am and a 6 am shuttle bus as we had an international flight.
On getting to the room I should have noticed the bed cover was missing.
But we left our things and in the room and went to explore Chicago.
On coming back we had dinner downstairs.
My son crawled into bed and fell asleep.
It was then I noticed the dried thick urine splashes at the base of the toilet and on the floor.
I then examined the sheets - gross - my son was sleeping in some-one else's used sheets.
I couldn't wake him and have the room cleaned so we just put up with this but I report it to management and asked to speak to a manager in the a.m.
Well the a.m. got worse.
They forgot my wake-up call.
When we woke we raced down and made it just in time for when the shuttle was due to go - 5 minutes to spare - but it had left without us.
We then had to wait for a promised breakfast bag we paid for.
I also had to wait for a taxi.
I left my email address and was told a manager would contact me.
No email ever came.
I subsequently filled out a survey and asked them to email me - again no-one has bothered.
Never again would I use this chain - nothing short of TERRIBLE!!!!!

Room Tip: I don't have any tips
Best Western At O'Hare
#17 of 18 in Rosemont
Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare
Loews Chicago O'Hare Hotel

Been to Comfort Suites O'Hare? Share your experiences!