“Desparately needs updating!”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Schiller Park
Edwardsville, IL
“Desparately needs updating!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Most Comfort Inns/Suites can be counted on to provide a clean, average room where you can get a good night's sleep without having to worry about anything. This one, while providing good beds, needs to be shut down and have an entire remodeling. Carpeting was severely stained, draperies were falling apart and wouldn't stay closed so daylight woke you as soon as the sun came up, the bathroom smelled of mold, the air-conditioner rattled so much it woke you up during the night. Parking was almost non-existant. Both nights we were there we had to park down the street because the lot was constantly full. Now I read on the internet that the hotel participates in a Park and Fly program which, I guess, explains all the cars. The price for the room was cheap, especially for Chicago, but there were just too many things wrong to make me want to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelinglefty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed for a last minute vacation and had a awesome stay thank you Justin and Edward you were so kind and helpful and the supervisor on your shift too! My Room was 5 star and very clean . The housekeepers were awesome and during the checkout 8/2 was so nice Shirley in breakfast area was friendly and the best unlike the lady on 8/2 was rude @ 0930 . I had a problem with the eve clerk 8/1 who was rude when I asked her about entertainment . I think those problems can be easily corrected. I will stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We arrived at the airport and were told the shuttle would be there to pick us up in "15 minutes" then it was "momentarily". We waited over an hour! When the driver arrived, there was no sorry or anything.
Our room was okay. Breakfast was nice. We then needed to take the shuttle back to the airport. We were told the shuttle was running at the top and bottom of every hour. We showed up at 8:50am and waited...and waited with a large group of people. We eventually called ourselves a cab at 9:30 and the shuttle showed up after our cab arrived at around 9:45!!!
If you need to get anywhere on time, don't stay here!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Smetona

Travelers are raving about these Schiller Park hotels

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here for two nights while passing through town. We arrived at the hotel around 2:30am and could not find parking. Ended up parking on the backside of the hotel and had to walk to the front as there is no alternative entrance--slightly uncomfortable as it was myself (female) and a female friend traveling together. Guy checking us in was friendly and courteous. The next morning while in the shower I noticed that the bathroom fan vent was filthy, almost completely black with dust/dirt. Tried to shake it off, and went to make a cup of coffee. Coffee pot was dirty and the pod from the previous guest was still in the basket, with a moldy residue on it. As other reviews have mentioned, the carpets look worn and need to be cleaned well or replaced. The breakfast had quite a few options, including scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, toast, muffins, juice, etc. We were able to take the free hotel shuttle over to the nearest train station to hop on the train to head downtown, which was convenient. The shuttle driver was very helpful, but the guy at the desk was very abrupt and rude. Overall, our stay was fine, but there is plenty to improve on.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
West Branch, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2012

First off, I'd like to say that I am an employee for another Choice hotel, and I treat every hotel visit as if it were a personal inspection. My particular hotel has won Choice's Platinum award 4 years in a row, as well as being honored by the Owner's Council with the Inn of the Year award for #1 Quality brand hotel in the USA. There are certain things I look for in service, because I base them off of what's expected of me at my hotel. I must say this hotel fell WAY short.

The staff was incredibly rude. I know sometimes people fall into this sort of snobby routine working in hotels because they get asked the same questions over and over again by many different people, but frankly that's what they're there for. They need to suck it up. Snobby responses when questioned about their shuttle service, if they had a pool (they don't), and other information they should be prepared to provide (considering they work in hospitality).

Another thing that was quite irritating was arriving late and how staff handles it. There is a golden rule in hotels-- DON'T use a debit card. Sometimes that's all people have however. I called the hotel long before I arrived to tell them I would be late, but I would prefer to not have my card authorized due to it being a debit card. They said there's no problem, so on so forth. I arrived at the hotel and asked the clerk if they authorized my card; he said "Yeah I had to to run Audit". This isn't true. The system will prompt before checking in a guest with a debit card, and ask if you want to charge it immediately to avoid double-charging (debit cards put a temporary hold on your funds ALONG with a charge). When asked, the clerk clammed up and didn't know what to do. This part isn't so bad, because it's the risk you take when you use a debit card. Either way I had to inform him exactly how to handle late arrivals on audit. (There's a lazy way, and a correct way. He was doing it the lazy way.)

Other than that there were tons of terrible quirks with the hotel. Poor parking, rude and unhelpful staff (as I stated), rooms are pretty lackluster. I can get why they haven't even gotten a Bronze award. I can't say much about value though, because I use my employee discount for my rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Mamoruanime
Ionia, MI
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here overnight on business. If we would have had to stay more than one night, or would have had more time to look for a different place, we would have never stayed. As usual - the pros and cons

Pros:

Free parking

Decent fitness room

Bathroom area was clean - but it was the only place that was!

Reasonable toiletries, shampoo, separate (if small) conditioner, lotion, bar soap.

Cons:

The remote control for the TV only worked sporadically.

Everything in our room was covered in stains. The carpet, the furniture, the bedspread, some of the towels in the bath - and the mattress cover.

The reason I knew about the mattress cover? I had to call the desk and ask them to please put clean sheets on the bed. I opened the covers to find hair. OK, so maybe it was the maid's and it got there while she was putting on the clean sheets. But then there were crumbs - so was the maid snacking as well? When I got down to the bottom and found what looked like sock fuzz, I called the desk and asked for clean sheets. Maid arrived, looked at the hair, made a "poof" noise at me, then I pointed out the crumbs. She took the sheets off the bed, went to put on the new ones, and found stains on the sheets. So she said she'd be back and came back with more sheets - that were stained! Off she went again, this time she just gave us two top sheets and tucked one in for the bottom. Not before I saw the stained mattress cover, however - UGH!! This place obviously needs to find a laundry that can get things clean - and clean their carpet and furniture more often. The place gave me the creeps - I hated to sit or lie down anywhere in the room.

Check in staff was distinctly happy to inform us that we had missed out on a promotional $50 rebate, because we had not been aware of it. In fact, he repeated the fact several times, not sure why he felt such satisfaction that we'd missed out. Found it highly annoying, especially after we got up to the room and saw all the stains.

We had a lovely view of roofs of businesses.

Air conditioning unit was very noisy.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ioniashaun
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Good value and easy to travel to downtown Chicago; however, the rooms need maintenance. We stayed five days and needed maintenance three times. Would stay again but would check room thoroughly before unpacking. Staff is very friendly and willing to help. Standard breakfast.

Room Tip: Make sure everything works before unpacking
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Best Western At O'Hare
#17 of 18 in Rosemont
Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare
Loews Chicago O'Hare Hotel

Been to Comfort Suites O'Hare? Share your experiences!