“More a motel than a hotel”

Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O'Hare Airport
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Schiller Park
Reviewed April 14, 2007

I stayed here for two days in April for a business meeting. Terrible choice. The surroundings were bleak: highway and cargo sheds. There is nowhere to walk. The only way to get out is to take the shuttle, which runs every 20 minutes, to the airport and from there, the blue line into the city.

The hotel itself is badly in need of updating, and to their credit, a renovation is scheduled for this summer. The wall and surfaces are scratched and nicked, the decor is late 1980's, and the overall effect is that of a dingy motel.

I attempted to eat in the restaurant, but overwhelmed by the cigarette smoke, I ordered room service instead. Room service was prompt and the server polite.

I am sure there are better airport hotels at O'Hare. I, for one would check out the Hilton across from the terminal. It looked glossy and new and its easy accessibility from the airport (no shuttle) is a plus.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank mlm2126

Reviewed March 26, 2007

I arrived from Europe late and decided to stay near the airport to avoid a long trip to my hotel. After leaving rental cars it took me indeed only 5 minutes to get to the hotel. Check-in was swift and effective, I was in my room five minutes after arrival. The room was clean and well equipped, they offer free wireless internet. The bed was very comfy. As I had to leave early I was not able to use the pool or the gym, so can´t comment on that.
The only big downside was the bar and restaurant, which was heavily overpriced. If you can, eat and drink outside the hotel.
The package in general was ok, I would not spend my holidays here, but that is not what those airport hotels are set up anyway.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Maier
Reviewed February 28, 2007

I had a early morning flight out of ORD so I decided to stay here as it was one of the less expensive options. The pool was nice and I liked that it was open 24/7 The sundry shop was tiny but had a reasonable selection of items, which is really important if you arrive by airport shuttle since there really isn't anything within walking distance.
As a SPG Gold I was upgraded to a preferred room, I think the only difference was it had a fridge and a recliner/ottoman. Hard to tell since the room descriptions on the web site all seem to be the same. The decor in the hotel is very tired. Since I still had my rental car I asked for best directions to the airport, they gave me a map that was very inaccurate and not much help. The best thing about the hotel was the very comfy bed. My room faced the airport but the jet noise wasn't too bad, although I got there late enough that not a lot of flights were leaving.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2007

I attended a training meeting at this hotel in Early Feb, 2007 that lasted one complete week. my rating of "2" is very generous, more like a 1.5

The Good:
There is shuttle to and from the airport. The staff seems to go out of their way to be helpful. The hotel offers high speed wireless at no charge. There is also a business center with a computer, printer, copier, small meeting room and Fed-x materials. The meals provided by catering were generally pretty good. There is a small pool and exercise area.

The Not so good:
It looks like it was re-modeled in the late 80’s maybe early 90’s but the facility is in bad need of a complete over-haul or wrecking ball. The outside temp was in the low teens, the inside front doors were frozen open making the lobby freezing. They added a few huge space heaters in front of the doorway, which helped a little, but the doors were not repaired for the duration of the week. The temperature in the meeting rooms was either freezing (64 degrees F) or very hot.. There is ONE restaurant and One bar. The restaurant is OK, but better for breakfast (kind of a Denny’s quality). The bar is just that- a bar. The guest rooms are on the beat up side, but kept fairly clean. The location is no where near anything ( except the airport and the tollway). If you don’t have a car, there is almost literally nothing within a safe walking distance (it’s an industrial area bounded by very busy streets). This is absolutely not a place for families with children.
Overall the hotel has a cheap/ lack of quality look to it: Examples: The drop ceiling in the meeting rooms are bowing, there is a Hot tub next to the pool, but it is a simple fiberglass unit, similar to what you may have on your deck, , the gift shop looks a bit overcrowded - like a flea market stand. Ceiling tiles are missing in some of the hallways. The rest rooms smell of sewer gas covered by heavy sprayed deodorant.

Tips:
You should only consider this location if proximity to the airport and price is your only criteria or if you are stuck at the airport due to flight cancellations. I would not pay more than 70.00 a night . There are nicer hotels that are even closer to the airport such as the Hilton (in the airport), the Sheraton Gateway Suites O'Hare ( build as an Embassy suite) or – a slight bit farther (but less than 15 mins away), the Westin or Sofitel O’Hare.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2007

This was my second stay at this hotel and my last. I had confirmed a non-smoking room but the room given reeked of cigarette smoke (I am allergic to cigarette smoke). I called the front desk and they promptly sent someone to spray the room with some chemical. Afterwards, my room reeked cigarette smoke and nasty chemical. I asked for a different room but was told the hotel was sold out. In the morning when I spoke with the desk agent, he could care less. I now feel the same about this location. I recommend you avoid at all costs. The location is just to hit or miss.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank Kelvin F
Reviewed November 16, 2006

This was a hotel chosen by my group for a meeting so we didn't have an option on where to stay (unfortunately).

The shuttle was convenient from the airport but upon arriving, the hotel was located behind freight terminals so the view from every window was trucks and loading docks. The reception area was dingy with worn/torn carpets and an older feel.

Staff was uninformed (couldn't tell me where the fitness facility was or help me locate a vending machine) but pleasant enough.

Newly renovated fitness facility was very small and only had cardio equipment and some freeweights.

Rooms were ok but older - the bathrooms were small, cheaply made and had sliding doors on the small tub/shower, something I've never seen in a hotel.

I stay in hotels about 20 - 30 nights/year and frequent Marriotts, Hiltons and Sheratons when I travel for business. This one was not a hotel I'd return to or recommend unless your options were this or a Motel 6.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Sharonb423
Reviewed November 13, 2006

Free shuttle from the airport, fast, friendly check in. They had made a mistake with my friends' room, so they gave us all free drinks at the bar while it was corrected.
Room was clean, the usual stuff, neither tiny nor huge.
The pool, which was open 24/7, was big and attractive, the exercise room was big enough, and internet access on the hotel computer was free! A second computer is needed, however, to prevent lines. Staff were all very friendly. Food, while pretty standard, was good enough. And all this for $96 a night! (group rate)
I'd come back.

Comfort Suites O'Hare
#3 of 9 in Schiller Park
Loews Chicago O'Hare Hotel
Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O'Hare Airport? Share your experiences!