“Rooms have excellent setup but lacks detail to cleanliness and understaffed!”

Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Mokena, Illinois
“Rooms have excellent setup but lacks detail to cleanliness and understaffed!”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Loved the size of the room and the setup! Wanted to love it but... The pool area was dirty and very dingy. My 12 year old even noticed and didn't want to swim so we went back to the room. Lobby floor was always filthy unlike other hotels you never would see people cleaning or keeping up with the breakfast area. Not enough workers, the same woman that works the front desk had an apron on and cleans the kitchen area! They only give you three towels and when I called for more they said they were out because the hotel was busy! Needed extra blanket and I had to go down and get it in my pajamas because the worker said he was the only one there. Halls looked like they were never vacuumed as the breakfast area tables were never cleaned! Shocked how this place is run!

• Stayed January 2014
Hyatt P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Jc5forlife.

Thank you for your review. Our apologies that your son didn't have an opportunity to swim in our pool and for the other inconveniences you experienced during your stay. The person at the front desk, our Gallery Hosts, are there to assist with all our guests needs, from the kitchen to check in. Our ultimate goal is to assure the guest is taken care of as soon as possible. Regarding the tile, in order to assure our guests safety, the walkways to the hotel are very well salted, which leads some residue, especially with the tough winter Chicago has experienced this year. We normally have plenty of towels for our guests, but recently had a large group in the hotel which used quite a few towels per room. It is unusual for us to run out and I apologize that we didn't have any extra to offer. Please know that is an exception to the rule. We do hope that you decide to give us another try during your next visit to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Constantia, New York
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Travel fast & easy with no problems! I stayed here on business, however I wish I had time to shop considering how easy and stress-free it would have been! They offer a FREE shuttle to the Woodfield Mall. (You could easily walk there in warm weather, or to IKEA, etc.) Wonderful, friendly staff that are helpful from beginning to end.

24/7 food menu, not a lot of choices, but everything I tried was so worth it! FREE hot breakfast (I'm talking like - breakfast sandwich hot!), and FREE wifi - (Wifi worked great for me, fast streaming, no buffering)

A standard room is very spacious, great for large shopping trips without being cramped, as other hotels are. Large couch w/ ottoman, counter space with sink, coffee maker, and mini refrigerator, large flatscreen that tilts off the wall to each side of the room. I noticed they even have hookups on the wall for DVD players, game consoles, etc. Large vanity area - outside of bath.

I have also utilized their meeting space on multiple occasions - service is wonderful, prices are fair, and they have a variety of room sizes.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone from business travelers, to a family shopping getaway! Don't miss out!

Room Tip: Try the BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizza - it's Outstanding!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hyatt P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Sarah B,

Thank you for your kind review regarding our hotel, staff and meeting space. We are pleased to hear that you enjoy the hotel, rooms, staff, food and beverage, and meeting space. We value our guests and meeting partners and appreciate your continued patronage of our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Davis, California
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I’m almost never inspired to leave online reviews. But staff at the Hyatt Place in Schaumburg went so far above and beyond the call of duty, I felt compelled to post my thoughts publicly. In the hospitality industry, it’s still pretty rare to find yourself surrounded by warm, welcoming, cheerful, professional and caring people, regardless of the star rating. The staff at this property are all of that and more. Thank you for a great experience that went well beyond my expectations.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hyatt P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Michelle M,

We are so pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay! It's fantastic you were so inspired by your stay that you took the time to post your experiences. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, I'll be sure to share them with the management team and staff.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Wanted a weekend getaway, turned out to be disappointing and frustrating. First off, the room was right across from the elevator even though the hotel did not appear crowded, I guess I was being punished for not booking directly through the hotel. The rooms are laid out well, and the staff was nice but here are the problems. The toilet seat was broken, almost fell off, the heating unit was loud, the walls paper thin. My pet peave is a shower that backs up and this one was terrible, just gross. No towels at the pool, hot tub looked dirty. Just disappointing.

• Stayed January 2014
Martin S,

It is our goal that each of our guests enjoy their stay, regardless of the booking method. I am very sorry to hear that your weekend getaway was disappointing. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss your experience.
Park Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The staff here are just wonderful. The room was clean and spacious, the bed was comfortable as was the sectional sofa in the room. (That was a nice surprise - more like a studio than a plain hotel room. The free breakfast was more than 'continental'. Very pleased with my stay at the Hyatt Place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hyatt P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
3kids_and_3dogs,

Thank you for your kind review and compliments on the staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the spacious room and breakfast offerings. We hope to see you back during your next business visit to Schaumburg.
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 6, 2014

As a party of five, we traveled all the way from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to Schaumburg, Illinois to spend the New Year with my husband's family. We were crammed into a relatively small vehicle for a ten hour trip, and needless to say were VERY crabby when we arrived late that night. This is when the magic happened.

When I went to the check-in desk, at about 10pm CST, I was greeted by the Gallery Host. She was a wonderful young lady who was very courteous, prompt, and instantly improved my mood. She asked if we had any preferences to rooms, and even if we were traveling with small children. She said they preferred to put people with children on different floors than people without for the comfort of all of the guests. As someone who is frequently woken up in hotels by the sound of small children screaming and running up and down hallways, this was a nice touch. (I have no hate for children, but I'm not a mother and don't want to be, and that's not cute to me.)

When we were checked in, which was a very quick process, and made our way to our room, I was blown away by how spacious it really was. There is a big comfy couch, a half wall divider between the couch area and the beds, two sinks in the room with lots of well-lit mirrors--if you're traveling with a group, then you can appreciate this. The room smelled very clean and fresh, the linens were soft, there were plenty of towels. The TV accepted HDMI devices, so we were able to stream from our devices without a problem. (Although, if you're going to do this, unplug the Data cable from the TV, or it might keep switching you to the purchase menu.)

The stay was not without incident. As we did stay over a holiday, there was an incident with excessive partying (And by this I mean we could hear these people at four in the morning, all the way down the hall, and could smell what they were smoking). Such a thing happening in general is outside of the control of the staff, but when I told them about it, it was dealt with very quickly. I was very pleased with how quickly our needs were met in general, no matter what time of day or night it was.

When we visit family next year, I intend to stay here again. It's in a great location, just across the street from the Woodfield Mall and near a lot of great places to eat, and next to 290, which will take you pretty much anywhere you need to go.

I've stayed at quite a few hotels out there. The Hyatt was not my first choice, but I'm glad it was my final choice. Because next year, it WILL be my first choice.

TL;DR, Highly recommended. Great staff. Good location. Comfy room.

Room Tip: In event they don't ask automatically, mention whether or not you're traveling with children...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Becky M
Hyatt P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Becky M,

How nice to hear your party of five enjoyed the hotel! I'm glad you were all able to spread out and enjoy yourselves in our spacious rooms, sounds like that was just what everyone needed. My apologies for the excessive guest noise and for your understanding in this matter.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year!
Herzogenaurach, Germany
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The Hyatt Place in Schaumburg is a decent hotel, with a practical location for the local businesses, the freeway, and the surrounding bars and restaurants of which there are many.
The room was fine, possibly a little dark, but it was clean and served the purpose. The size of the room was excellent.
The check in and checkout process was painless and efficient, and the staff were friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was a little limited, but overall good enough to be able to 'fill a hole' until lunchtime.
All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Brades1966,

We are pleased you stayed with us during your most recent business trip. Our complimentary breakfast has a selection of two breakfast sandwiches as well as steel cut oatmeal and a variety of juices and breads, for our guests enjoyment. I'm glad you had the chance to stay with us and hope to see you the next time you are in Schaumburg.