“Ideal place to stay outside Chicago”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Schaumburg
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Ideal place to stay outside Chicago”
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Since this was my wife's and my 1st trip to Chicago we searched quite a while for the right place to stay. Here in AZ we have a few people who lived in Chicago and kept mentioning Schaumburg for those who did not want to stay in the downtown area and we always stay in the outskirts. We chose the H.S. for the amenities (Breakfast, gym. internet, etc) and the pictures looked beautiful. I can honestly say that we were not disappointed and the hotel lived up to its reputation. The Homewood Suites is located about an hour outside Chicago (with traffic) and Chicago has the Metra Rail system on all outlying areas for those who do not wish to drive into town. Schaumburg is a very clean and well kept town that is home to major companies and the famous Woodfield Mall about a mile from the H.S.

Now for the hotel...

1. Room was perfect size with a kitchen and separate bedroom.
2. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful - I did some work there and if I needed something faxed, it was done.
3. Grounds are clean and maintained perfectly.
4. Breakfast was very generous (Free) with eggs, sausage, toast, cereal, etc - a large selection. Lobby and eating areas are beautiful.
5. The location is a clean and quiet area
6. Bed was very comfortable.

This was the right place for the price especially when you don't want to pay $300+ for a room downtown Chicago. I would tell anyone to stay here. I didn't ask but it looks like one of the newer hotels (look at the pictures) and we simply had a great stay. Thank you Homewood Suites.

• Liked — Basically everything
  • Disliked — Just limited TV channels
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Coder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Rockford, IL.
Reviewed March 3, 2008

As others have said this is a beautiful hotel, very clean, and all the staff we had contact with were very friendly and helpful. There are a few things I wish I knew though before I stayed here. Probably the one thing that will keep me from returning is that the walls are "paper thin". We could hear the person in the room next to us almost as if they were in the same room. There was some moaning and giggling and then SNORING all night long. The room above us made several trips to the bathroom which we heard as well. You could actually hear the bed squeak as they got out followed by footsteps and then running water....return steps back to bed and then the bed squeaking again as they got back into bed. When asked about our stay in the morning I mentioned the noise problem and was told that they were sorry and next time to request a end room. (I say you would probably want to make sure you were on the top floor of an end room.)
We were given a room that was set up for a handicap person. I had no need for this type room, but didn't really think anything about it until morning when I went to take a shower. The shower had only a hand held shower head. Although there were hooks that you could place it on, the shower head had a "mind of its own". It would slide down as you showered or when placed on the other hook provided it would only face the wall. This really was a shame because everything else was so wonderful. There are two important things that I want when I go to a hotel. I want a clean room and at least somewhat quiet. I realize that there will be noise in a hotel, but this was beyond what I would consider normal.

• Liked — Very clean!
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Midwest
Reviewed February 17, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for only 1 night but would have gladly stayed longer! Everything about the place seemed brand new! Check in was easy. Room was very nice, clean & quiet! After our check-in, front desk called the room to make sure everything was ok. Breakfast offered everything you could think of! All around high quality experience!!! Location was perfect for all the great shopping this area has to offer.

• Liked — Clean, quiet, well planned room layout, good location for nearby shopping, etc.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank thinkin'vacation
Netherlands
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Our route planner had not given a proper direction and wrong street name to turn in first, so we found it hard to find this hotel. It is situated on a very quiet spot in a further busy area with much traffic, malls, other shops and businesses. Check-in was no problem, although we didn’t get an upgrade (for a Diamond member) as the hotel was full.

This hotel has several wings with gardens in between. The most buildings have two floors with outside stairs for every 2 rooms at the second level. There is also a building with three floors and an elevator. We had a room in this building on the third floor. Our one bedroom room was not spacious but very cozy. It had a small but full kitchen, a dinner table with two chairs, a sofa and comfortable chair, the bedroom had a good king bed and the bathroom was clean. As welcome gift we received two bottles of water and some cookies.

It was a warm sunny afternoon in September, but the pool was already empty and was covered. I asked at the reception if I could take a sun bed, they were all stored away in a corner of the pool area. For insurance reasons it was not allowed to be there, but she would ask an employee to bring one of the beds outside. When I was back in my room I could see from the window that they already had put a bed for me in the grass next to the pool. When I went outside they asked me if I would be comfortable there otherwise they would bring my bed to another area. So, the service is just great! After asking where the supermarket was, we were given a written direction, the shop is a short drive away.

There is a business center with a computer and printer.

The breakfast the next morning was very good with many items to choose from. I saw that they made their scrambled eggs from fresh eggs, always better and tastier than from the freezer or otherwise.

From here it is just a 20-30 minute drive to O’Hare Airport.

• Liked — The great service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BA-traveler
Sacramento
Reviewed August 18, 2007

This is a GREAT Homewood. The staff is friendly and willing to help. The rooms are very spacious. This Homewood definitely makes me feel like I am at "Home."

• Liked — The Whole Thing!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Sacramento, Calif
Reviewed August 18, 2007

I spend one night here at this hotel and was a bit skeptical from the pictures online right before I booked it. Upon my arrival I discovered the property was very well maintained, clean, with a friendly staff. I highly recommend this property! Kids, business travelers, you name it! Would all feel welcome here!

• Liked — The Staff, and Room, very clean!
  • Disliked — It was great, I did not find a dislike
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Iowa
Reviewed February 19, 2007

We stayed as a family during Presidents Day weekend - a Saturda night. Great rate of $79 including all taxes for a family of four.

This property is great...with one exception that they failed to make clear.

we had our own separate apartment with easy chair/ottoman, dining/work table for 2, TV with game controller + remote, sofa, small but efficient fully-equipped kitchen, large bathroom with luxury shower head, beautiful tile floors and granite countertops, two double beds (extra-deep, comfy mattresses with high-quality sheets) and another TV with remote. Very comfortable. Spacious, too. A newspaper arrived quietly at our door in the morning. On weeknights (M-Thurs) they offer a light supper including beer and wine to guests.

The morning breakfast in the office (think of a clubhouse) included bacon, cheese omelets, cereal, fresh-baked muffins and pastries, make-your-own waffles with syrup or strawberries, yogurt, apple, cranberry and orange juices, toast, tea/coffee, etc. There was no way you wouldn't leave that breakfast satisfied - our children loved the options.

Our HUGE disappointment with this property is that the hot tub is outdoors. Nowhere on the website did Homewood Suites mention that the hot tub is oudoors, seasonal or "in season." We arrived thinking "Okay, no pool - but a relaxing soak will be nice after so many downtown museums." No deal.

The receptionist offered that we could swim at Bally's for free (she didn't know whether they would allow admission to our children). My husband went to find Bally's - but it had moved and so that was a non-starter.

On the plus side, there is a convenient little road that parallels busy Golf Road that connects up to Pizzo Uno and other restaurants and goes to Woodfield Mall.

Easy location for reaching IKEA when they open in the mornings, too....go early, the place gets very busy!

Stayed February 2007