“Love the extras that this hotel offers.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
CALEDONIA, Michigan
“Love the extras that this hotel offers.”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We prefer to stay at the Embassy Suites for their daily Manager's reception and full breakfast. The kids had fun in the pool, while the parents relax with drinks. That is what a vacation should be!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Embassy Suites is a good value for a hotel. We recently stayed while catching a flight out of Chicago O'Hare. While this location seemed slightly older and more run down than the last Embassy Suites I stayed at, it was still clean. The pool and hot tub area were all well maintained. I appreciate the Manager's Reception in the evening for a quick snack and cocktail. Also, the made-to-order breakfast cannot be beat. There is truly something for everyone on their buffet.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
CUDAHY
Reviewed April 26, 2010

This was our first time at an Embassy Suites (& we are very well traveled). Check in was a breeze, staff was polite and accommodating. The rooms are a separate bedroom with a living area that includes a nice wooden wet bar with sink refrigerator and microwave, coffee maker, coffee and cups, love seat, arm chair, table w/3 chairs. Good storage options. (note: reception desk also has table that provides coffee) (we were on floor #7). The only con I would have here is the bathroom fan was loud & the bare bulb in light fixture above table. But hardly a biggie.

I was apprehensive after reading all of the noisy reviews out here and after arriving, my hubby and I sat in the living area of the suite, it was pretty quiet and we wondered what all the fuss was about. All of a sudden a mariachi band started playing in the courtyard and I busted out laughing! Actually the mariachi band was there for a prelude to a wedding reception and we got the bonus. Embassy suites provides a 2 hour manager reception with free cocktails, popcorn, chips and salsa … it was great with all the tropical plants, the bar lounge and the band!

We had the rib eye steak sandwich and some marvelous sweet potato fries sent up via room service. One of the best steak sandwiches I’ve ever had and the fries, yum. Bed was comfy and big. Next morning was the free breakfast, made to order omelets, they also had eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast and asst’d sweets, breads, cereal and juice. They also have a shuttle driver that will take you to the shopping area. Shuttle is a little bus, not a van like some places.

Check out is at NOON. Most hotels are 11 am. This hotel is a great value for the money and I was up for awhile during the wee hours and you didn’t hear a peep in the hallways. If you’re looking for a place where everyone tip toes around in total silence, go to a monastery. If you’re looking for a nice 2 room suite with nice perks at a good price, go directly to the hotel website and book your room… & if you’re a Triple A member, you get another $5 knocked off the price. This is a Hilton owned operation… sign up for the member card - they have many different brand names under their corporate umbrella at all price ranges.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Fennville, mi
Reviewed February 18, 2010

If you are looking for a place where 3 kids in a pool can produce ear splitting shrills, where roaming bands of teens can carry on conversations 3 floors apart all of the way across the open atrium until midnight, where the free booze served nightly lets parents forget all parenting said teens, and where a moment doesn't seem to pass without a slamming door then you have found the right place.

In all fairness to the staff at Embassy Suites, the place is aesthetically beautiful, rooms are immaculate, breakfast is tremendous, free drinks are always nice, and everyone was very friendly and helpful. Meghan at the front desk was especially attentive to our needs.

While trying to escape the yearly bout of cabin fever, we decided to make an Ikea run with our 7 year-old daughter to Schaumburg. The hotel is located near the biggest Ikea in the US and Woodfield Mall. We never did make it to the mall but appreciated all of the nearby restaurant and shopping choices like Dick's sporting goods. That was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the hotel was not.

We were eager to hit the pool after check-in but soon discovered its major flaw, the acoustics. The pool area sits underneath 5 floors of suites and is horribly echoey. My wife and I could not even carry on a conversation while sitting next to each other due to the noise being generated by three 5 to 7 year-olds just being normal kids. They weren't screaming or yelling, just giggling a little, but we might as well have been at a Metallica concert. Things got really bad when the capacity crowd began arriving. It could be a decent pool for a hotel, but the architect who designed it must've gotten Embassy Suites to sign off while he or she was holding a gun and wearing a ski mask.

It didn't take long for the hotel to fill up and get very noisy. It was apparent that lots of cabin fever stricken families had come for an escape. Unfortunately, many left their parenting skills at home. The bar area was so packed that people were overflowing into the courtyard and drinking their fill of the free drinks the hotel serves nightly. It's a great service and one we enjoyed, but it just seemed to fuel the noise. As parents talked loudly downstairs, packs of kids began to take "run of the house" quite literally. It quickly became more like a campground than a hotel.

Here is another inherent design flaw with the place. All 7 floors of rooms open up to a central atrium with each hallway being an open air oval. Not only does all of the sound from below funnel itself upward toward the suites, each level is a perfect indoor running track for youngsters. "Pitter patter of little feet" quickly lost its endearing qualities as endless groups of kids stormed by.

Until well past midnight we heard kids hanging out on the various levels, yelling to other groups of kids like it was some kind of street corner on a hot night in the city. As I said before, this seems to be an inherent design flaw and terrible parenting just seemed to stir up the perfect storm of hotel hell for us.

Doors are heavy and have a tendency to slam and then echo all through the hotel.

God bless kids! Don't take me as being just old and crotchety. I just expect other people to teach their kids some common hotel courtesy.

The next night was a little calmer but continued loud doors throughout the hotel and less than heavenly beds didn't make the night much better. There just wasn't anywhere to really unwind or relax peacefully. Having to leave to so you can rest is not why we chose to pay more than other nearby hotels so we could experience all that is supposedly Embassy Suites.

Oh yeah, not much hot water up on floor 7 on a packed weekend. Exercise room is nice with some modern equipment though.

Not all bad, but I doubt the the Big Green E will get another shot at much of our green.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank losik54

Travelers are raving about these Schaumburg hotels

Central Illinois
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I booked a room through the hotel's website for an overnight stay with my husband and two grandsons. I found a pizza, pop, movie package, and the hotel was close to our weekend entertainment, so I thought this would be ideal. Package price was $170 including tax.

I arrived first at the front desk at 10:30 a.m., to see if any rooms were available yet, (knowing probably not). The woman at the front desk (name unknown) was very polite and told me, no, our room was not ready yet, but that she would call housekeeping to let them know we had arrived, and to check back a little later. I was perfectly fine with that, as I knew check-in wasn't til 3, and told her thank you. I asked her before we left if I could go ahead and register, and she told me this wasn't neccessary.

After a leisurely lunch at adjacent Woodfield Mall, we returned around 12:30. The first lady I inquired with was no longer at the front desk, so I approached SHERRI, who now manned the counter. I politely asked if our room was available yet, only to get a snapping retort, "You KNOW check-in isn't until THREE P.M.!!" Taken aback somewhat, I quietly informed her I was aware of that, but that we had checked earlier, and that the lady told us to check back, to which she again snidely remarked, "We get ALOT of phone calls here!! " I had no idea WHAT that meant, but she could see the look of distaste on my face, perhaps, because then in a somewhat more civil manner, offered to store our luggage until check-in. Again I asked if I could go ahead and register, just to make sure we HAD a room, and she brushed me off, saying, not to worry about it....and adding, "It's the WEEKEND, you know!" (which is EXACTLY why I wanted to register)..........I told her we would not be back til the evening, and she took my bags into storage.

When we arrived at about 5 p.m., yet another woman, Megan (or Meagan) checked me in, very politely, informing me we now had an "EXECUTIVE SUITE", because she stated, "we had to move things around". Figuring this meant an upgrade, I said thank you, and she directed me to our room. There were 6-8 people waiting behind me to check in, but she took her time and was very pleasant.

When we arrived in our room, it was FREEZING cold.......the heat turned down as far as it would go. We found it to be a decent sized bedroom with 2 double beds, a bathroom the size of a closet, and a humongous room in front with a long conference table and 8 chairs. Seems EXECUTIVE suite is a suite for executives........who knew??? I would have MUCH rather had a normal suite with a "living area" up front, which is what we were expecting, when I reserved the room through their website (not, through some online discount site) and reserved for 2 young children and two adults.

The bathroom was so small, you had to get inside to close the door, which was not pleasant with 2 children to attend to...........The "boardroom", was wasted space for us, and exactly what I would have liked to avoid by registering early!

We took the boys to the swimming pool after we checked in, and although it was adequately sized, the room was VERY dark, and made it hard to keep track of the children, especially when there were 15 other children(yes, I counted) screaming, splashing, and running. One of the hotel patrons personally told me she had complained just a few minutes earlier that the commotion in the pool area was so noisy and disruptive that her 6 year old was afraid to go in, and the situation never got any better the two hours we were there. (Of course, this is more THOSE childrens' chaperone's fault, than the hotel, but it would have been nice if someone with "authority" had calmed them down, or ejected them)

The remote controls for the televisions in our room would only work if you slapped them several times, and even then, there was no channel guide posted ANYWHERE in the two rooms.........so that you had to channel surf through about 80 channels to find what you wanted.

A free movie was included in our special room rate, and I found upon checking out that they had charged us for the movie. I spoke to Megan once again, at the front desk, who said she would take care of it, and asked if I wanted a NEW invoice. Of course, I wasn't going to accept the one with the added charges, so I told her thank you, yes, I would.

Sleep was definitely hindered by the noise level until 3 a.m. and the less than comfortable beds.
However, breakfast was by FAR, the best feature of our stay here.........it was very crowded, but the food was plentiful, and tasty.

We wish we would have gone elsewhere for our special weekend stay with the grandsons.......but, as they say, live and learn. We've always been pleased with our previous Embassy Suite stays in other locations, but this one has a lot of bugs to work out before we'll be back

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Serenity_Now
chicago, il
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I arrived for a business meeting held over 2 days here. I inquired with the front desk if there was a room ready and they said unfortunately not and told me their check in time is 3 o'clock. I was given a card to enter the business center which was fine. I went back to the front desk around 2:30 and asked if a room was avaialable. Jennifer, who was working at the front desk, reminded me their check in time was 3 o'clock and that there wasn't a room ready. She hesitated and then offered a room with double beds instead of a king. I was absolutley fine with that and wondered why she didn't offer that to me earlier. Jennifer should learn that maybe look and offer before counseling. I didn't need to know again that the check in time was 3 o'clock. See if you can first take care of the customer and if you can't inform them of the check in time.

I was very diappointed also to find out the hotel didn't have something as simple as a pot of coffee for guests. I was told I had to go over to the cafe and buy it there. What the heck, you stay at a lower level brand like Hampton Inn and they have coffee in the lobby all the time. Shouldn't Embassy Suites? Another inconvenience was the store that's adjacent to the check in counter was closed until 4 o'clock. If you check in time is 3 why is the store closed until 4? I was looking to buy a couple bottles of water and put it on my room knowing there probably wouldn't be any in my room. But no, they were closed.

The rooms are satifactory. Nothing special. The bathroom sink backs up if you run the water at a fast rate. The counter top itself is at a height that is more friendly for someone that might stand 5 feet tall. Not a standard bathroom height. Towels are satisfactory but toilet paper was single ply and rough. Toiletries are standard. The light by the bed is requires the switch located on the wall as you enter the bedroom to be turned on. I thought the lamp was broken until I put 2 and 2 together and looked for a switch. There are flat panel TV's here but no HD. Book at Hyatt Place that's not far from here if you like have HD TV.

If you're not a Hilton member you're going to have to pay for internet service. I'm a member and I'm waiting to see if my room is billed as it wasn't to clear how to log in using the passcode they give you.

Back to the front desk. Jennifer didn't bother telling me about any features of the hotel. I don't know what time breakfast starts in the morning, if there is a happy hour that starts at 5 like most Embassy's, and where the restaurant is located.

There are other nice hotels in this area. I try to remain loyal to my Hilton rewards which is why this hotel was picked. I'd look for a Homewood Suites or other Hilton brand next time.

Overall the hotel is plain. Service is what would keep me away from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank hailes
Dayton, OH
Reviewed October 22, 2009

I hate having to travel for business but this is one hotel I do not mind spending the week at. It's always very clean (and I'm SUPER picky) and everyone on the staff will bend over backwards for you and are always a delight. The rooms are spacious with a seperate sitting area with mini bar (and fridge) and a seperate bedroom which is divided by the bathroom. I also love that the rooms surround a courtyard that is very pleasent to hang around in between meetings and dinner. Speaking of food, when we travel here, we don't even go out anyhwere else. The hotel provides everything. We get a free breakfast which is delicious - make to order omlettes, oatmeal, waffles, pastries, cereal, bacon, sausage, anything you can think of. Then at 5:30 they serve appitizers and free drinks at the bar until 8pm. Then with our business rate, a free dinner is also included at their on site restaurant. Normally I wouldn't be caught dead eating in one of those but honestly, it's really good. I've tried just about everything on the menu and while I wouldn't give it 5 stars, it's defintly a 4.5! Sometimes the wait staff can be a little rude (Judy) but it's always fun to see who can make her smile first! =)

Although we normally stay "inside the loop" when we go to Chicago for pleasure, but with our family growing, it'll be much easier to stay at this great hotel in the suburbs and drive in for everything we do.

My ONLY complaint about this place is no free wi-fi. You have to pay $3.95/hr or $9.95/24 hr period and it's not very fast even then. I had a lot of connection problems where I couldn't even finish my hour. They do a free business center though which might have free internet. Not sure as I prefer to use my personal laptop.

Oh yes, it's also VERY close to the Woodfield mall which is one of the best in Chicago (and they'll give you a free ride over) as well as Ikea Schamburg!

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business