“Loudest. Hotel. Ever.”

Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Fennville, mi
“Loudest. Hotel. Ever.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

If you are looking for a place where 3 kids in a pool can produce ear splitting shrills, where roaming bands of teens can carry on conversations 3 floors apart all of the way across the open atrium until midnight, where the free booze served nightly lets parents forget all parenting said teens, and where a moment doesn't seem to pass without a slamming door then you have found the right place.

In all fairness to the staff at Embassy Suites, the place is aesthetically beautiful, rooms are immaculate, breakfast is tremendous, free drinks are always nice, and everyone was very friendly and helpful. Meghan at the front desk was especially attentive to our needs.

While trying to escape the yearly bout of cabin fever, we decided to make an Ikea run with our 7 year-old daughter to Schaumburg. The hotel is located near the biggest Ikea in the US and Woodfield Mall. We never did make it to the mall but appreciated all of the nearby restaurant and shopping choices like Dick's sporting goods. That was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the hotel was not.

We were eager to hit the pool after check-in but soon discovered its major flaw, the acoustics. The pool area sits underneath 5 floors of suites and is horribly echoey. My wife and I could not even carry on a conversation while sitting next to each other due to the noise being generated by three 5 to 7 year-olds just being normal kids. They weren't screaming or yelling, just giggling a little, but we might as well have been at a Metallica concert. Things got really bad when the capacity crowd began arriving. It could be a decent pool for a hotel, but the architect who designed it must've gotten Embassy Suites to sign off while he or she was holding a gun and wearing a ski mask.

It didn't take long for the hotel to fill up and get very noisy. It was apparent that lots of cabin fever stricken families had come for an escape. Unfortunately, many left their parenting skills at home. The bar area was so packed that people were overflowing into the courtyard and drinking their fill of the free drinks the hotel serves nightly. It's a great service and one we enjoyed, but it just seemed to fuel the noise. As parents talked loudly downstairs, packs of kids began to take "run of the house" quite literally. It quickly became more like a campground than a hotel.

Here is another inherent design flaw with the place. All 7 floors of rooms open up to a central atrium with each hallway being an open air oval. Not only does all of the sound from below funnel itself upward toward the suites, each level is a perfect indoor running track for youngsters. "Pitter patter of little feet" quickly lost its endearing qualities as endless groups of kids stormed by.

Until well past midnight we heard kids hanging out on the various levels, yelling to other groups of kids like it was some kind of street corner on a hot night in the city. As I said before, this seems to be an inherent design flaw and terrible parenting just seemed to stir up the perfect storm of hotel hell for us.

Doors are heavy and have a tendency to slam and then echo all through the hotel.

God bless kids! Don't take me as being just old and crotchety. I just expect other people to teach their kids some common hotel courtesy.

The next night was a little calmer but continued loud doors throughout the hotel and less than heavenly beds didn't make the night much better. There just wasn't anywhere to really unwind or relax peacefully. Having to leave to so you can rest is not why we chose to pay more than other nearby hotels so we could experience all that is supposedly Embassy Suites.

Oh yeah, not much hot water up on floor 7 on a packed weekend. Exercise room is nice with some modern equipment though.

Not all bad, but I doubt the the Big Green E will get another shot at much of our green.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank losik54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Central Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

I booked a room through the hotel's website for an overnight stay with my husband and two grandsons. I found a pizza, pop, movie package, and the hotel was close to our weekend entertainment, so I thought this would be ideal. Package price was $170 including tax.

I arrived first at the front desk at 10:30 a.m., to see if any rooms were available yet, (knowing probably not). The woman at the front desk (name unknown) was very polite and told me, no, our room was not ready yet, but that she would call housekeeping to let them know we had arrived, and to check back a little later. I was perfectly fine with that, as I knew check-in wasn't til 3, and told her thank you. I asked her before we left if I could go ahead and register, and she told me this wasn't neccessary.

After a leisurely lunch at adjacent Woodfield Mall, we returned around 12:30. The first lady I inquired with was no longer at the front desk, so I approached SHERRI, who now manned the counter. I politely asked if our room was available yet, only to get a snapping retort, "You KNOW check-in isn't until THREE P.M.!!" Taken aback somewhat, I quietly informed her I was aware of that, but that we had checked earlier, and that the lady told us to check back, to which she again snidely remarked, "We get ALOT of phone calls here!! " I had no idea WHAT that meant, but she could see the look of distaste on my face, perhaps, because then in a somewhat more civil manner, offered to store our luggage until check-in. Again I asked if I could go ahead and register, just to make sure we HAD a room, and she brushed me off, saying, not to worry about it....and adding, "It's the WEEKEND, you know!" (which is EXACTLY why I wanted to register)..........I told her we would not be back til the evening, and she took my bags into storage.

When we arrived at about 5 p.m., yet another woman, Megan (or Meagan) checked me in, very politely, informing me we now had an "EXECUTIVE SUITE", because she stated, "we had to move things around". Figuring this meant an upgrade, I said thank you, and she directed me to our room. There were 6-8 people waiting behind me to check in, but she took her time and was very pleasant.

When we arrived in our room, it was FREEZING cold.......the heat turned down as far as it would go. We found it to be a decent sized bedroom with 2 double beds, a bathroom the size of a closet, and a humongous room in front with a long conference table and 8 chairs. Seems EXECUTIVE suite is a suite for executives........who knew??? I would have MUCH rather had a normal suite with a "living area" up front, which is what we were expecting, when I reserved the room through their website (not, through some online discount site) and reserved for 2 young children and two adults.

The bathroom was so small, you had to get inside to close the door, which was not pleasant with 2 children to attend to...........The "boardroom", was wasted space for us, and exactly what I would have liked to avoid by registering early!

We took the boys to the swimming pool after we checked in, and although it was adequately sized, the room was VERY dark, and made it hard to keep track of the children, especially when there were 15 other children(yes, I counted) screaming, splashing, and running. One of the hotel patrons personally told me she had complained just a few minutes earlier that the commotion in the pool area was so noisy and disruptive that her 6 year old was afraid to go in, and the situation never got any better the two hours we were there. (Of course, this is more THOSE childrens' chaperone's fault, than the hotel, but it would have been nice if someone with "authority" had calmed them down, or ejected them)

The remote controls for the televisions in our room would only work if you slapped them several times, and even then, there was no channel guide posted ANYWHERE in the two rooms.........so that you had to channel surf through about 80 channels to find what you wanted.

A free movie was included in our special room rate, and I found upon checking out that they had charged us for the movie. I spoke to Megan once again, at the front desk, who said she would take care of it, and asked if I wanted a NEW invoice. Of course, I wasn't going to accept the one with the added charges, so I told her thank you, yes, I would.

Sleep was definitely hindered by the noise level until 3 a.m. and the less than comfortable beds.
However, breakfast was by FAR, the best feature of our stay here.........it was very crowded, but the food was plentiful, and tasty.

We wish we would have gone elsewhere for our special weekend stay with the grandsons.......but, as they say, live and learn. We've always been pleased with our previous Embassy Suite stays in other locations, but this one has a lot of bugs to work out before we'll be back

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Serenity_Now

Travelers are raving about these Schaumburg hotels

chicago, il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

I arrived for a business meeting held over 2 days here. I inquired with the front desk if there was a room ready and they said unfortunately not and told me their check in time is 3 o'clock. I was given a card to enter the business center which was fine. I went back to the front desk around 2:30 and asked if a room was avaialable. Jennifer, who was working at the front desk, reminded me their check in time was 3 o'clock and that there wasn't a room ready. She hesitated and then offered a room with double beds instead of a king. I was absolutley fine with that and wondered why she didn't offer that to me earlier. Jennifer should learn that maybe look and offer before counseling. I didn't need to know again that the check in time was 3 o'clock. See if you can first take care of the customer and if you can't inform them of the check in time.

I was very diappointed also to find out the hotel didn't have something as simple as a pot of coffee for guests. I was told I had to go over to the cafe and buy it there. What the heck, you stay at a lower level brand like Hampton Inn and they have coffee in the lobby all the time. Shouldn't Embassy Suites? Another inconvenience was the store that's adjacent to the check in counter was closed until 4 o'clock. If you check in time is 3 why is the store closed until 4? I was looking to buy a couple bottles of water and put it on my room knowing there probably wouldn't be any in my room. But no, they were closed.

The rooms are satifactory. Nothing special. The bathroom sink backs up if you run the water at a fast rate. The counter top itself is at a height that is more friendly for someone that might stand 5 feet tall. Not a standard bathroom height. Towels are satisfactory but toilet paper was single ply and rough. Toiletries are standard. The light by the bed is requires the switch located on the wall as you enter the bedroom to be turned on. I thought the lamp was broken until I put 2 and 2 together and looked for a switch. There are flat panel TV's here but no HD. Book at Hyatt Place that's not far from here if you like have HD TV.

If you're not a Hilton member you're going to have to pay for internet service. I'm a member and I'm waiting to see if my room is billed as it wasn't to clear how to log in using the passcode they give you.

Back to the front desk. Jennifer didn't bother telling me about any features of the hotel. I don't know what time breakfast starts in the morning, if there is a happy hour that starts at 5 like most Embassy's, and where the restaurant is located.

There are other nice hotels in this area. I try to remain loyal to my Hilton rewards which is why this hotel was picked. I'd look for a Homewood Suites or other Hilton brand next time.

Overall the hotel is plain. Service is what would keep me away from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank hailes
Dayton, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2009

I hate having to travel for business but this is one hotel I do not mind spending the week at. It's always very clean (and I'm SUPER picky) and everyone on the staff will bend over backwards for you and are always a delight. The rooms are spacious with a seperate sitting area with mini bar (and fridge) and a seperate bedroom which is divided by the bathroom. I also love that the rooms surround a courtyard that is very pleasent to hang around in between meetings and dinner. Speaking of food, when we travel here, we don't even go out anyhwere else. The hotel provides everything. We get a free breakfast which is delicious - make to order omlettes, oatmeal, waffles, pastries, cereal, bacon, sausage, anything you can think of. Then at 5:30 they serve appitizers and free drinks at the bar until 8pm. Then with our business rate, a free dinner is also included at their on site restaurant. Normally I wouldn't be caught dead eating in one of those but honestly, it's really good. I've tried just about everything on the menu and while I wouldn't give it 5 stars, it's defintly a 4.5! Sometimes the wait staff can be a little rude (Judy) but it's always fun to see who can make her smile first! =)

Although we normally stay "inside the loop" when we go to Chicago for pleasure, but with our family growing, it'll be much easier to stay at this great hotel in the suburbs and drive in for everything we do.

My ONLY complaint about this place is no free wi-fi. You have to pay $3.95/hr or $9.95/24 hr period and it's not very fast even then. I had a lot of connection problems where I couldn't even finish my hour. They do a free business center though which might have free internet. Not sure as I prefer to use my personal laptop.

Oh yes, it's also VERY close to the Woodfield mall which is one of the best in Chicago (and they'll give you a free ride over) as well as Ikea Schamburg!

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank live4vacation999
Malinta, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

Great experience and almost $20 off for AAA members.

Pros: Better than average Embassy Suites breakfast, very helpful staff, nice looking pool area, and located near anything you could possibly want.

Cons: Slow elevators (yeah, I know... big deal), room entrances and balconies could use some freshening up, internet access was still $10/night, and the pool was CRAZY warm... I mean I don't usually take baths as warm as what the pool water was during our stay. I'm guessing it was 95F. A maintenance guy checked the temp while I was in the water... he dipped a thermometer in the pool for about three seconds, pulled it out, looked at it and said, "85 degrees... right where we keep it". Either his thermometer was broken or it can't register in three seconds because I've never been swimming in water that warm.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

Good location for weekend getaway to Chicago area. While not downton, it is a short drive in on I-90. The rates are 1/2 or more of the rates "in" downtown Chicago. There is every kind of shopping close by and some good golf courses too. It is an easy drive up to Six Flags Great America and Legoland Discovery Store is only 2miles away.

The hotel was very good. Your standard Embassy Suites with nice rooms, clean and well-staffed. Excellent full breakfast as Emb Suites is known for - but recommend getting there before 9 as the line gets pretty long.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Grandview, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

After a terrible experience with an Embassey Suites in Phoenix, I was a little apprehensive when I saw that a conference I was arttending was scheduled here. And, after reading some of the other reviews posted here, I was wondering what type of week I would have during my stay.

I was wrong, and those other reviewers must have had some other bee in their bonnet...this was a wonderful place and I would absolutely stay there again.

Location: The hotel is in an area that seems to be a business park, so it is not terribly convenient to other attractions unless you have a car. We took an airport shuttle from O'Hare which cost $31.00 one way for two of us. The hotel provides a free shuttle to attractions within 5 miles of the hotel, which was fine for our stay. The airport is farther away.

Parking: I did not have a car, but the lot was large and free.

Check-in: Absolutely seamless. We arrived about 3:30 or so -- I showed an ID and credit card and was handed my room key cards that had already been prepared. Check-in was complete in 90 seconds. I can't recall a check-in ever being that fast anywhere I have stayed.

Building, in general: The facility was spotless. The decor featured rich colored tile and very pleasing colors. The plantings in the central courtyard, and the hanging baskets on all seven levels facing the courtyard, were well maintained. There was no clutter. The pool was located in a separate room, so the courtyard, which included the breakfast area, cafe and bar, was very quiet. Four elevators are in the courtyard. Laundry (coin-operated) is on the second floor ($1.50 per load -- so have plenty of quarters).

Room: We had a king bed. The room layout is fairly typical of what I have seen with Embassey Suites although this layout seemed to be a remodeled style with a bit different bathroom layout (small, but you don't have to climb over the toilet to get to the tub/shower). The room included a kitchen area with serving bar, coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, bar sink, table, sofa, chair, end table, two phones (two lines), two flat panel TVs, computer desk in the bedroom (with high speed wireless internet or ethernet cable), vanity and counter in the bedroom (in additon to the bathroom), hairdryer, iron and ironing board. Cooling and heating were very good. There was plenty of hot water. The room was very quiet during our stay. I only heard one screaming child in the courtyard during my stay.

Meals: Embassey Suites is noted for their free breakfasts and this no exception. Their layout was well thought-out here as everything was arranged in one line, starting with your cooked-to-order eggs and progressing to oatmeal, cereals, breads, and drinks (juice, coffee & tea, soft drinks and milk). I was attending as part of a large conference and the hotel opened breakfast 1/2 hour earlier to compensate, but also added an additonal buffet line that included scrambled eggs, potatoes (or pancakes / French toast), meats and fruit. The staff was very efficient in keeping the lines stocked and tables cleared.

The in-house cafe featured New Orleans cuisine. The menu was a bit limited in some respects but of sufficient variety that I ate something different each night of my stay. Service was adequate and speed of service seemed to be dictated by which cooks were on duty (one set favored getting room service orders out first instead of those ordering in the the restaurant).

Lunches provided during my conference were great -- though those items did not appear on the cafe menu. Too bad. The bar and cafe also offer pizza.

The hotel also offers a free manager's reception from 5 to 7 PM with free drinks from a selection.

Conference area: Our group occupied the entire suite of conference rooms. The only fault I could cite here was that the restrooms were probably not of adequate size, but it still worked.

Gift Shop: There is a very nicely stocked small gift shop off the lobby carrying the requisite souveniers but also snacks, beverages, toiletries and other items at reasonable prices. By the way, buy your pop / soft drinks here since the 20 ounce bottle is $2.00 as opposed to the $2.50 in the vending machines on each floor. The staff was very courteous and helpful

Staff: With only one exception, the staff was amazing -- all were very helpful and went out of there way to make sure everyting was right. The sole exception was a young gentleman on the evening shift who was too full of himself -- thus he tended to be curt and abrupt. He also failed to record a needed wake-up call one day, so we avoided him like the plague after that and had no other problems. The staff went out of their way to meet the needs of our conference (which ran from 7 AM to 6:30 PM each day). My wife, on two occasions, heard supervisors reminding staff that we were working long hours and would be very tired, so please make life easy for us.

Maid service was exceptional and quick -- leave the room for a copuple of minutes in the morning and everything was made-up and spotless when you returned.

The only other minor disappointment with the staff was when we arrived, we asked about a place to eat. We had been traveling 9 hours and were hungry. It was another hour and a half before their cafe opened, but they gave us a sheet listing local eateries and attractions. All were were not withing what seemd to be a comfortable walking distance when we were so tired. Not having a car and not wanting to take a shuttle just to get a small bite to eat, we decided to wait. On the last night of our stay, while taking a short walk, we discovered three fast food places, a steak house, small oriental cafe and a 7-11 convenience store behind a row of trees behind the facility. It would have been nice to know that.

Shuttle: The hotel provides a free shuttle to area attractions, such as the large Woodfield Mall. The world's largest IKEA is nearby. The shuttle will also take you to the nearest commuter rail station (about 15 minutes) but you need to schedule a time. We did that, but while the shuttle was at the hotel, the driver was not available. The hotel simply loaded us up in a cab and told the driver they would sign for it. That was totally unexpected, especially since we were not in a rush. By the way, a train into Chicago costs $4.30 one way and takes about an hour.

All-in-all, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business