If you are looking for a place where 3 kids in a pool can produce ear splitting shrills, where roaming bands of teens can carry on conversations 3 floors apart all of the way across the open atrium until midnight, where the free booze served nightly lets parents forget all parenting said teens, and where a moment doesn't seem to pass without a slamming door then you have found the right place.
In all fairness to the staff at Embassy Suites, the place is aesthetically beautiful, rooms are immaculate, breakfast is tremendous, free drinks are always nice, and everyone was very friendly and helpful. Meghan at the front desk was especially attentive to our needs.
While trying to escape the yearly bout of cabin fever, we decided to make an Ikea run with our 7 year-old daughter to Schaumburg. The hotel is located near the biggest Ikea in the US and Woodfield Mall. We never did make it to the mall but appreciated all of the nearby restaurant and shopping choices like Dick's sporting goods. That was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the hotel was not.
We were eager to hit the pool after check-in but soon discovered its major flaw, the acoustics. The pool area sits underneath 5 floors of suites and is horribly echoey. My wife and I could not even carry on a conversation while sitting next to each other due to the noise being generated by three 5 to 7 year-olds just being normal kids. They weren't screaming or yelling, just giggling a little, but we might as well have been at a Metallica concert. Things got really bad when the capacity crowd began arriving. It could be a decent pool for a hotel, but the architect who designed it must've gotten Embassy Suites to sign off while he or she was holding a gun and wearing a ski mask.
It didn't take long for the hotel to fill up and get very noisy. It was apparent that lots of cabin fever stricken families had come for an escape. Unfortunately, many left their parenting skills at home. The bar area was so packed that people were overflowing into the courtyard and drinking their fill of the free drinks the hotel serves nightly. It's a great service and one we enjoyed, but it just seemed to fuel the noise. As parents talked loudly downstairs, packs of kids began to take "run of the house" quite literally. It quickly became more like a campground than a hotel.
Here is another inherent design flaw with the place. All 7 floors of rooms open up to a central atrium with each hallway being an open air oval. Not only does all of the sound from below funnel itself upward toward the suites, each level is a perfect indoor running track for youngsters. "Pitter patter of little feet" quickly lost its endearing qualities as endless groups of kids stormed by.
Until well past midnight we heard kids hanging out on the various levels, yelling to other groups of kids like it was some kind of street corner on a hot night in the city. As I said before, this seems to be an inherent design flaw and terrible parenting just seemed to stir up the perfect storm of hotel hell for us.
Doors are heavy and have a tendency to slam and then echo all through the hotel.
God bless kids! Don't take me as being just old and crotchety. I just expect other people to teach their kids some common hotel courtesy.
The next night was a little calmer but continued loud doors throughout the hotel and less than heavenly beds didn't make the night much better. There just wasn't anywhere to really unwind or relax peacefully. Having to leave to so you can rest is not why we chose to pay more than other nearby hotels so we could experience all that is supposedly Embassy Suites.
Oh yeah, not much hot water up on floor 7 on a packed weekend. Exercise room is nice with some modern equipment though.
Not all bad, but I doubt the the Big Green E will get another shot at much of our green.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our impressive all-suite hotel in Schaumburg offers value added amenities that will save you big; welcome to the Embassy Suites Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield. We're located just 9 miles from the Chicago O'Hare (ORD) airport, and just minutes from the infamous Woodfield Mall. We offer complimentary local area transportation to nearby business and attractions, within a 4 mile radius. Hotel guests can enjoy our complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast daily, and our complimentary evening reception. All of our 2-room suites come equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, and WiFi. Groups and meetings can take advantage of our 8,000 sq/ft of flexible event space, perfect for weddings and business meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago
- Schaumburg Embassy Suites