Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for business but my husband was also along for leisure. The hotel was very accommodating and had a great breakfast every morning with everything - even made to order omelets. We had a slight issue with plumbing in the room but they offered several solutions (fix it immediately, switch rooms, etc.) and handeled it quickly. They were deeply apologetic and nice. In addition, the maintenance person heard my husband was going to the White Sox game and gave written out detailed directions to him for the best, quickest and safest way to get to Cellular Field - Awesome service! Finally, they have a shuttle service that will take you anywhere nearby which is very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed May 26, 2009

Again, a victim of this treatment of only a King bed. This happened with hotwire and priceline once before and now I am batting 3 times in a row with hotels in California, Illinois and New York. I want to point out that the hotel parking lot was empty. I received a decent rate on priceline and was hoping for the best. No. This time instead of being lied to that the hotel was full I was told that because I booked on priceline I could only have a king bed. This is ok if there is only 2 people staying in a room but with 2 adults and 2 children over the age of 6, how do they think 4 people and sleep in one bed. I asked the front desk clerk if you are empty why can't I have 2 beds? Again it is because of booking on priceline. She only offered the double beds if I was willing to pay more money... no thanks. Luckily, this hotel had a pull out sofa which was EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE so my daughter and I slept on that and my son and husband slept in the bed. The hotel is dated, the pool is small and gross with a layer of slime floating over it. They only offered 2 breakfast passes so only 2 of us could use the breakfast for free. They had a nice workout area which we enjoyed. Overall... I am not sure I can handle using priceline or hotwire ever again. It is hotels ways of saying screw you not only are we not going to accomodate the number of guests comfortably but we will put you in the worst room in the hotel. Our room had cigarette burn holes in the couch and smelled of smoke.. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2009

This Embassy Suites is definately older and could stand to be updated but is still a decent property. The lobby area is very much from the 80's with the fountain and cheap looking fake brick floor tile. The room was clean and the bed comfortable although the carpet was faded and well beyond it's prime but again was clean and stain free. The bathroom was small with a very low ceiling and again very 80's ish.

The service was fast and friendly and the breakfast was like all Embassy Suites very good and well organized.

Considering the low price paid on Priceline for this property it was a great bordering on unbelievable value.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2009

I will start out to say that I would stay at an Embassy Suites again only for the the reason the rooms are large and a breakfast and manager's reception are included. Other than that, this particular hotel made a very poor impression on me.

My "poor" rating of this hotel is based solely on the management's behavior and treatment of us following not only a major inconvenience, but a potential health hazard to their guests on the night we stayed at their hotel.

The employees and support staff were very friendly and accomadating. No complaints there. The hotel was clean. An absolutely beautiful 7 story atrium with a gorgeous multi-tiered fountain was the centerpiece of this hotel and made for a very nice setting. The breakfast was delicious the next morning. Our room was spacious with a private bedroom. I agree with the other review stating an update is needed. Overall, our stay was nice and if traveling with our children, we would definitely consider ES again.

However, not having water for half of your stay is not exactly what one would expect to have happen when staying at a hotel. And the fact that managment knew this when accepting our reservation made both my husband and me very unhappy.

My husband and I were on a romantic getaway for a few days and chose this hotel near the Woodfield Mall area. It is one of many hotels in the near vicinity. The prices and ratings were all comparitive so we chose ES for the amemities: fitness center, pool, manager's reception and breakfast included. We made our reservation for a Tuesday night by calling the hotel directly that morning. Because we were on a romantic getaway, we wanted to make sure we had a nice room and didn't want to take a chance by booking online.

We arrived after a 4+hour drive and the hotel desk attendant got us all checked in and reviewed the amenities with us. She explained the manager's reception would be starting soon and reviewed the breakfast hours the next morning. We signed the check-in paperwork and then were met with one extra piece of information: there would be no hot water starting at 8pm that night! My husband and I could not believe our ears. She explained the boiler was being replaced and that we would indeed have water, just not hot water. Then the hot water would be back on at 5am and back off at 9am. I was pretty disappointed since we were on a leisure trip and wanted to sleep in, use the fitness center and pool the next morning and take our time getting ready. Check-out wasn't until noon. Since we were tired after a long drive we decided to just stick it out. It was just hot water, right?

Wrong. 8pm rolled around, we headed back up to our room after the manager's reception to find not only was there no hot water . . . there was NO water. I immediately called down to the front desk to see if this was temporary only to receive an answer that it looked like we would be out of water the whole night. The person who took my call was apologetic and told us he was instructed to offer us bottled water if we would like. (Not to be graphic, but without water, hotel guests can not even flush their toilets. That is what I mean by a health hazard!)

My husband dealt with the front desk the next morning. They did reduce our bill a slight amount - but only after he had to argue with the manager. I felt that given the circumstances, the hotel should have discounted our stay by a significant amount and without us having to ask them.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We made the reservation the morning of the stay. Called Embassy Suites directly. We were traveling on leisure and chose this hotel over many in the immediate area in the same price range. After we handed over our credit card and finalized the check-in process the agent sheepishly slid over a piece of paper for us to read that basically said the hotel would be replacing the boiler the night of our stay. Also, there would be no hot water after 8pm, then the next morning, the hot water would return at 5am and go off again after 9am. At this point, we looked at the agent in dis-belief. Did she really just tell us this after we checked in? We later found out that they knew about this maintenance days before we called the hotel. Our instincts told us to get our money back and go find another hotel. Instead, my wife and I looked at eachother and thought we'd make the best of it. So, 8pm arrived and all of the water was shut off. No water in the hotel! Called the front desk. They were apologetic and offered bottled water but had no reason as to why the water was off. The water came back on at 2am. When I addressed the "no water" issue with the front desk in the morning (after getting the full price bill), I received a defensive attitude instead of an apologetic one. I expected a at the very least, some sort of discount. To my disbelief, I had to argue my case with the management to get even a little taken off the bill. After all was said, they reluctantly took about 20% off the bill. Although it was something, justice didn't seem served. There was definetely deception on the part of the hotel staff and management to not inform guests on what was really going on before check-in. Really disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2008

Since you never know what you get when you put in a bid with Priceline... I was very nervous as to what we would be getting for the mere $45 per night that we were accepted at. Even though it was a high "priceline" star rating... we didn't know what to expect!

The hotel was fairly easy to get to- once we were a bit more familiar with the neighborhood- it is close to the Woodfield Mall and a decent drive to downtown Chicago.

Parking was sufficient and free, which is always great. The front desk staff was very pleasant and efficient. We checked in quickly and took one of the two glass elevators up to our room.

The decor of the hotel is spectacular- it reminded me of a villa- all rooms have a glass french door as the door to the room. It was very charming there!

Our suite was terrific- plenty of room to have friends hang out in the front room/bar/tv area, and had we known that the sofa was a hide-away, they could have stayed!

The bedroom was separate from the sitting room- it was spacious and the king bed was super comfy! There was a desk, armoir, and separate vanity/sink area in the bedroom as well.

The bathroom was small- but it had a hot shower and tub, so not much to complain about there, either.

Our room came with a punch card for complimentary breakfast for each of us as well as a reminder of the manager's nightly reception. We thought both would be cheap and not appealing- boy were we wrong!!

The manager's reception was fantastic- we went to the lounge, showed our room key and were given our drink of choice (off of a limited, but nice list) for free. This may have continued for the entire time (5:30-7:30pm) had we had the time to stay!

The breakfast in the morning was not the cheap continental that I expected- instead, it was a spread- complete with two cooks available to prepare fresh omelets or eggs cooked to order. There was bacon, breakfast potatoes, sausage, pastries, cereals, yogurt, juices, coffee, soda... more than enough to stuff us until dinner! All for free!

I will ALWAYS stay at this hotel when I travel to Schaumburg from now on- everything was spot-on and perfect!

Internet was not free, which was a down side, but that was fine, too.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Based on an experience at the Ft. Worth Downtown Embassy Suites, I booked a 2-week stay here. This property was a world of difference from the other one.

It's older, so the furniture and rooms are generally worn and outdated. Not really a problem - kind of gives it character like a Radisson or Holiday Inn. The staff was extremely friendly - even the woman running around at breakfast punching holes in your card. The breakfast was good, maybe a little better than the Ft Worth Embassy.

But there is a lot of downside. The hotel is smoke-free, however years and years of smoke linger on in the rooms. One room of the suite I had was taken up by a huge, cheap, folding conference table with eight chairs around it. A bit odd. And there's mold around the bathtub.

What really caught me off-guard was the $10/day internet charge. It's not mentioned on their website. When I complained about it, the front desk very nicely stated that it's "Embassy Policy." Either the guy was nicely lying, which bothers me, or the Embassy I stayed at last month wasn't following "Embassy Policy."

Since I wasn't going to pay $180 for weeks of internet, I moved to Homewood Suites. And I also vowed to read the reviews on Trip Advisor before my next trip - more informative than the hotel's own website.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)