“No water IS a problem!”

Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“No water IS a problem!”
Reviewed April 11, 2009

I will start out to say that I would stay at an Embassy Suites again only for the the reason the rooms are large and a breakfast and manager's reception are included. Other than that, this particular hotel made a very poor impression on me.

My "poor" rating of this hotel is based solely on the management's behavior and treatment of us following not only a major inconvenience, but a potential health hazard to their guests on the night we stayed at their hotel.

The employees and support staff were very friendly and accomadating. No complaints there. The hotel was clean. An absolutely beautiful 7 story atrium with a gorgeous multi-tiered fountain was the centerpiece of this hotel and made for a very nice setting. The breakfast was delicious the next morning. Our room was spacious with a private bedroom. I agree with the other review stating an update is needed. Overall, our stay was nice and if traveling with our children, we would definitely consider ES again.

However, not having water for half of your stay is not exactly what one would expect to have happen when staying at a hotel. And the fact that managment knew this when accepting our reservation made both my husband and me very unhappy.

My husband and I were on a romantic getaway for a few days and chose this hotel near the Woodfield Mall area. It is one of many hotels in the near vicinity. The prices and ratings were all comparitive so we chose ES for the amemities: fitness center, pool, manager's reception and breakfast included. We made our reservation for a Tuesday night by calling the hotel directly that morning. Because we were on a romantic getaway, we wanted to make sure we had a nice room and didn't want to take a chance by booking online.

We arrived after a 4+hour drive and the hotel desk attendant got us all checked in and reviewed the amenities with us. She explained the manager's reception would be starting soon and reviewed the breakfast hours the next morning. We signed the check-in paperwork and then were met with one extra piece of information: there would be no hot water starting at 8pm that night! My husband and I could not believe our ears. She explained the boiler was being replaced and that we would indeed have water, just not hot water. Then the hot water would be back on at 5am and back off at 9am. I was pretty disappointed since we were on a leisure trip and wanted to sleep in, use the fitness center and pool the next morning and take our time getting ready. Check-out wasn't until noon. Since we were tired after a long drive we decided to just stick it out. It was just hot water, right?

Wrong. 8pm rolled around, we headed back up to our room after the manager's reception to find not only was there no hot water . . . there was NO water. I immediately called down to the front desk to see if this was temporary only to receive an answer that it looked like we would be out of water the whole night. The person who took my call was apologetic and told us he was instructed to offer us bottled water if we would like. (Not to be graphic, but without water, hotel guests can not even flush their toilets. That is what I mean by a health hazard!)

My husband dealt with the front desk the next morning. They did reduce our bill a slight amount - but only after he had to argue with the manager. I felt that given the circumstances, the hotel should have discounted our stay by a significant amount and without us having to ask them.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We made the reservation the morning of the stay. Called Embassy Suites directly. We were traveling on leisure and chose this hotel over many in the immediate area in the same price range. After we handed over our credit card and finalized the check-in process the agent sheepishly slid over a piece of paper for us to read that basically said the hotel would be replacing the boiler the night of our stay. Also, there would be no hot water after 8pm, then the next morning, the hot water would return at 5am and go off again after 9am. At this point, we looked at the agent in dis-belief. Did she really just tell us this after we checked in? We later found out that they knew about this maintenance days before we called the hotel. Our instincts told us to get our money back and go find another hotel. Instead, my wife and I looked at eachother and thought we'd make the best of it. So, 8pm arrived and all of the water was shut off. No water in the hotel! Called the front desk. They were apologetic and offered bottled water but had no reason as to why the water was off. The water came back on at 2am. When I addressed the "no water" issue with the front desk in the morning (after getting the full price bill), I received a defensive attitude instead of an apologetic one. I expected a at the very least, some sort of discount. To my disbelief, I had to argue my case with the management to get even a little taken off the bill. After all was said, they reluctantly took about 20% off the bill. Although it was something, justice didn't seem served. There was definetely deception on the part of the hotel staff and management to not inform guests on what was really going on before check-in. Really disappointing.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Schaumburg hotels

North Liberty, Iowa
Reviewed November 24, 2008

Since you never know what you get when you put in a bid with Priceline... I was very nervous as to what we would be getting for the mere $45 per night that we were accepted at. Even though it was a high "priceline" star rating... we didn't know what to expect!

The hotel was fairly easy to get to- once we were a bit more familiar with the neighborhood- it is close to the Woodfield Mall and a decent drive to downtown Chicago.

Parking was sufficient and free, which is always great. The front desk staff was very pleasant and efficient. We checked in quickly and took one of the two glass elevators up to our room.

The decor of the hotel is spectacular- it reminded me of a villa- all rooms have a glass french door as the door to the room. It was very charming there!

Our suite was terrific- plenty of room to have friends hang out in the front room/bar/tv area, and had we known that the sofa was a hide-away, they could have stayed!

The bedroom was separate from the sitting room- it was spacious and the king bed was super comfy! There was a desk, armoir, and separate vanity/sink area in the bedroom as well.

The bathroom was small- but it had a hot shower and tub, so not much to complain about there, either.

Our room came with a punch card for complimentary breakfast for each of us as well as a reminder of the manager's nightly reception. We thought both would be cheap and not appealing- boy were we wrong!!

The manager's reception was fantastic- we went to the lounge, showed our room key and were given our drink of choice (off of a limited, but nice list) for free. This may have continued for the entire time (5:30-7:30pm) had we had the time to stay!

The breakfast in the morning was not the cheap continental that I expected- instead, it was a spread- complete with two cooks available to prepare fresh omelets or eggs cooked to order. There was bacon, breakfast potatoes, sausage, pastries, cereals, yogurt, juices, coffee, soda... more than enough to stuff us until dinner! All for free!

I will ALWAYS stay at this hotel when I travel to Schaumburg from now on- everything was spot-on and perfect!

Internet was not free, which was a down side, but that was fine, too.

• Liked — Free manager's reception and breakfast!
  • Disliked — costly internet access
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Friendswood, TX
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Based on an experience at the Ft. Worth Downtown Embassy Suites, I booked a 2-week stay here. This property was a world of difference from the other one.

It's older, so the furniture and rooms are generally worn and outdated. Not really a problem - kind of gives it character like a Radisson or Holiday Inn. The staff was extremely friendly - even the woman running around at breakfast punching holes in your card. The breakfast was good, maybe a little better than the Ft Worth Embassy.

But there is a lot of downside. The hotel is smoke-free, however years and years of smoke linger on in the rooms. One room of the suite I had was taken up by a huge, cheap, folding conference table with eight chairs around it. A bit odd. And there's mold around the bathtub.

What really caught me off-guard was the $10/day internet charge. It's not mentioned on their website. When I complained about it, the front desk very nicely stated that it's "Embassy Policy." Either the guy was nicely lying, which bothers me, or the Embassy I stayed at last month wasn't following "Embassy Policy."

Since I wasn't going to pay $180 for weeks of internet, I moved to Homewood Suites. And I also vowed to read the reviews on Trip Advisor before my next trip - more informative than the hotel's own website.

• Liked — The staff was friendly
  • Disliked — Charge for internet connection
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We just returned from a three night stay at this hotel, and it was wonderful. The room was very clean and spacious. The staff was very friendly and always greeted us as we walked by. The free breakfast was one of the best free hotel breakfast I have had in a long time. There was a lot of food to choose from, and they had made to order omelettes! My five year old daughter loved the pool and whirlpool as it was also in great shape.

The hotel is close to almost every chain restaurant there is, and then some. There are also several places to shop nearby. The Arlington Park Metra station is about 5 miles away, which we used to take downtown (it's about a 45 minute train ride, but much better than driving).

Overall, I was very satisfied with the value we received. Our room was $109 a night, and considering it was a suite, included a great breakfast and managers reception (aka free beer for two hours), you really can't ask for anything else.

The only thing that caught me off guard was the charge to use the internet. There was a data port in the room, but you had to pay $9.95 for 24 hours of use. Most places these days won't charge you to use the internet, but considering all the other things above that were included with your rate, you really can't fault them for it.

• Liked — Separate bedroom with a 2nd sink, free breakfast, pool, manager's reception, friendly staff
  • Disliked — The charge to use the internet
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I travelled from Ireland to Schaumburg for a week for business in the area and brought my 2 grown up daughters with me so they could shop. That was the reason I stayed here, because of the 2-room suites which meant I could get up early each morning without disturbing my daughters.

Some good things about the hotel and some bad. From a good perspective, the rooms were fine, clean and comfortable and the staff were in general, very nice and very helpful, both to me and the girls. I am a Hilton HHonors Gold member and we did get some nice treatments such as a late checkout (4pm) and the hotel paid for a taxi to bring my daughters to the mall one day when the shuttle bus was busy.

However, there were about 160 13-15 year old teenagers staying in the hotel and it was terrible. They were inadequately supervised most of the time and the noise was awful, right throughout the night. Running through the corridors, shouting and yelling in the lobby area, which because of the atrium reaching every single floor and every single room made their arrival sound like a riot each night. Phoning to the front desk on several occassions made little diference. We also had to move rooms, because the room directly above us had a group of kids who sounded like they were trampolining all night long. And then there was the morning when one of the unsupervised kids though it would be funny to put iced donuts through the bagel toaster, almost setting fire to the machine and making it unusable for other guests.

It was definitely this group which caused all my issues during this stay, but I still blame the hotel managment for dealing with them badly. They should have all been housed on the ground floor, away from other guests and the hotel should have had additional security to keep them away from other floors and under control while they were there.

This hotel stay was no fun :-(

• Liked — It was close to the office and close to the mall
  • Disliked — The other guests (160 poorly supervised kids)
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank mcglough
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed April 7, 2008

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Schaumburg for 2 nights. I will cover the positive things first. The beds are comfortable. As with all Embassy Suites the room was spacious. The pool area was clean and there were plenty of pool towels available. The bartenders were friendly during happy hours and breakfast buffet is normal for Embassy Suites. The complaints about the hotel are not major but enough that I believe they need to be mentioned. The elevators at the hotel are very slow, which normally would not be an issues except for the lack of service elevators, which meant that the housekeeping staff and their large carts took up three quarters of the space in the elevator each morning. The first night we called for extra towels, it took two calls a and a long wait to get the towels. The second night we called for an extra blanket, this time it took 3 calls and then 45 minutes later we received our blanket. I would say it was a nice enough hotel as long as you are not in a hurry for anyting. Also when we mentioned our problems to the front desk we were given many excuses but never an apology.

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family