“Customer Service....not their forte”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our experience at this ES, was not so great.
Upon arriving we were informed by the staff that we could not cart our own luggage because it was a "liability" for the hotel.
Next when we tried to check in (we had booked 2 rooms) , the front desk associate told us that one of the rooms (my daughter's) was booked as a smoking room. When I explained to him that this was impossible he actually argued with me about the situation. It was very embarrassing for me. When my daughter arrived a few minutes later she confirmed that her room was indeed booked as a non smoking room. But the male associate still insisted that she booked a smoking room. Feeling very frustrated and looking to our options of switching hotels, my daughter needed to bring her reservation up to prove to the clerk that this was indeed booked as a non smoking room. Finally she was given the room type that she had booked.
The Manager Reception was also very disappointing. The bar room where the reception is held, was overflowing with pre wedding reception guests. It was difficult to get a drink and impossible to get a seat and table. Other ES that we have stayed at have separate rooms for hotel guests and visitors.
Rooms were ok, although our air conditioning didn't work. (We were a one night stay and we didn't discover it until 10PM and so didnt call the front desk until we were ready to check out the next morning). We wanted to report it so it would be fixed prior to the next guest's arrival. The hotel staff did send a repairman up right away to check it out.
The complimentary breakfast was great. However we won't stay here again
This ES should take some lessons from its city cousin, the ES @ 600 State St in Chicago rocks!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jwillinois
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield

Reviewed July 14, 2012

The layout of this hotel is really nice. The rooms (which are all two-room suites with a complete seperate living room) are located around a 7-story atrium. Everything is clean & nice - breakfast Embassy standard so also very good. Each room has its own A/C which unfortunately is quite noisy. I decided to switch it off during the night.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We love to stay at this hotel. The door separating the two portions of the room is so handy with a small child. Makes it so easy to put down a baby and yet still have the other bedroom to read or watch tv. Breakfast in the morning is SO good. Just wonderful. Every time we visit family we stay here. LOVE this Hotel.

Room Tip: Fourth floor or higher as the atrium is a little loud in the evenings if you have kids.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We are a family of 6 with 4 small children. The Embassy Suites provided us not only the space we needed but also a fabulous price. The room decor was out dated but that didn't really matter to us. We had plenty of space, a nice pool and the rest of the hotel was very nice and clean. We really loved the Manager's Reception (and kids were welcome). We did miss out on the made to order free breakfast but that was our fault.

Room Tip: All room are similar and all open to the center of the hotel. It really doesn't matter what flo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
DOSESS, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for responding to our customer service survey. I'm delighted to see, by the scores you have given us, that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Embassy Suites Schaumburg. Thank you for all the great scores and we hope to see you return in the near future!

Tino Villasenor
Front Office Manager
Embassy Suites Schaumburg
faustino.villasenor@hilton.com
847-241-5412

Reviewed July 6, 2012

I was quite skeptical before I arrived because of the problem I had trying to schedule a shuttle for several people. They were unable to accomodate the time needed. I thought something could have been arranged because I arranged SEVERAL people to stay at the hotel from work for a conference.

After arrival, my opinion changed. Everyone was quite friendly and my room was ready early. The breakfast was quite good and a nice variety from cold cereal to a made to order omelet, which was very good. The staff was super friendly at all times. By mistake, housekeeping threw out my Garrett's Popcorn (which is WONDERFUL!) and the front desk reimbursed me with no trouble.

The manager's reception was good also. It was nice to unwind with fellow colleagues and have a drink before dinner. I also ate at the hotel restaurant and it was good and reasonably priced for a hotel in the Chicago area.

I was in a 2 room suite for 4 nights. My room was clean and quiet. I would prefer a larger bathroom, but it was OK just for me.

I didn't have time to check out the pool and fitness room, but it was available.

I would definitely recommend this establishment for business or leisure.

Room Tip: I think the higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Schaumburg for two nights at a great AAA rate. The room was bigger than a typical hotel room but not as big as some suite-type hotels I have stayed in. I did appreciate that the king bed was separated from the living room with sleeper sofa by an actual door, though the door did have ventilation slats in it. We were able to watch TV in the bedroom while our child fell asleep in the living room. The living room had large windows that closed with a heavy curtain. All rooms look out over the central atrium. We were on the fourth floor above the lobby and the atrium, I would recommend fourth floor or higher as it was a little noisy for my son to fall asleep around 8:30 pm or so on Saturday night.

The room was clean and it seems the bathroom sink area was updated (granite countertop). I appreciated the additional sink and mirror in the bedroom. However I found the hairdryer to be very underpowered (it had only a low setting that gently blew lukewarm air), so if you have long or thick hair I recommend bringing your own toilet paper. There was also a bar area with fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The living room had a table with 3 chairs. The room also had two flat screen TVs (one in bedroom, one in livingroom). The remote controls were hard to use, there was even a sign warning that the the stations would take time to tune in. We also had a roll of toilet paper run out that was not replaced when our room was made up. It was easy enought to fix with a quick stop at the front desk on our wasy past.

Breakfast was good, with omelets made to order on a flat-top (so not fluffy omlets, but tasty enough). They did vary the hot selections on the two days we were there. One day was waffles, one day pancakes, one day fried potato cubes, one day pre-formed hash browns, etc.

The hotel is very convienently located near the Woodfield Mall, Streets of Woodfield, IKEA, etc. and was also close to IL-53, I-90 and I-290 (though be warned the sign on the road that gets you to all three only says IL-53 and you need to know what direction you are going - East or West).

Room Tip: Higher floors should have less noise from the atrium.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mistizoom
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed 1 night in two rooms we checked in about 12:30 p.m., the front desk got us checked in and had us in our rooms in good time!

The staff is quite friendly and competent, the manager's reception and breakfast were great.

This is a family friendly and a quality place to stay if you are going to the mall or Arlington Park racetrack!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family