“Okay Hotel, needs some renovation”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Chicago, Illinois
“Okay Hotel, needs some renovation”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Embassy Suites Schaumburg over the New Years weekend. The location of the hotel is good as it is close to Woodfield Mall (and all of it's restaurants and amenities).

The facility has ample parking facilities. The lobby and public areas (breakfast area, elevator banks, pool/workout facility) are quite dated appearing and really need to be further updated. The hotel really has a 1980's feel with all of the dark wood and dark carpet.

The room size was good (had two double beds and a pullout couch in the living room) and the amenities were good (fridge and microwave). Much like the rest of the hotel, the room needs a serious facelift. I really did feel like I was in the 1980's from the carpet to the furniture. The only thing that looked like it came from this century was the flat panel TV and the new drapes.

As with all Embassy Suites, the free breakfast and evening managers reception re always nice.

The hotel staff were very freindly and helpful and responded quickly to all requests made. Granted, we came on a busy weekend, but there were a few things that stood out and could have been done better.

-#1). The lighting in the room was already quite poor and when I first entered the room, one of the two table lamps in the bedroom had a burned out lightbulb. Not a huge issue (it was changed promptly when I called), but these are the little things you think would be checked when the room is being prepared for the next guest.

-#2).The shower curtain (which is white) had a huge blood stain on it. How the heck was this missed when the room was being cleaned. Again, this was promptly handled when I called but a bit off putting to say the least.

-#3).When I ordered a desert, instead of telling me that part of what I ordered wasn't avilable, they just substitued it with something else that I really don't care for and would not order. Again, not a huge deal but it would be nice to tell the guest that what they ordered isn't exactly available and give them the option of accepting a substitute instead of just bringing it and charging for it.

-#4). We came back to the room after being out all day (came back at about 5PM) and the room still had not been made up. Again, a quick call downstairs rectified this and it was a holiday weekend but none the less, a bit irritating when coming back after a long day out.

-#5). Not the end of the world but the workout facility is very small and is directly adjacent to the pool. The smell of chlorine was so strong that taking deep breaths (as you do when you are working out) after 90 minutes gave me a headache for the rest of the evening. Part of any renovation should include improving the ventilation in the workout facility.

Overall, I would at best rate this hotel as average. The staff were really great but the facility itself really needs some improvement. If I needed to return to this area, I would likely look for another Hilton family property and would only return here if there were no other options.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank idries

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Baltimore
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I've stayed here multiple times which in and of itself should tell you it's an ok hotel to stay in since I've given them repeat business. Location wise it is close to the areas I've been working in (Palatine and Elk Grove Village). The Woodfield mall nearby is very nice. There are tons of restaurants nearby. The rooms are clean and the staff is exceedingly friendly. The bedrooms area is a little smaller than I've experienced in other Embassy Suites but not the smallest and the living room is quite spacious. I have found the atrium to be very bland. Most of the other Embassy Suites I've stayed in have a nice atrium area with rock formations and koi ponds making a nice, relaxing atmosphere whether you're enjoying the breakfast or the manager's reception. But this has one fountain and virtually no seating outside of the gated breakfast area. Breakfast was quite good. Lots to choose from and of course the made to order omlettes. I didn't make it to the manager's reception but it looked very popular the nights I walked by.

The decor in the room is a little dated, not as modern or fresh, again compared to other Embassy Suites I've been to. My big complaint--the mattress. I've never slept on worse. I think my 11 year old mattress at home provides more support and I awoke with terrible back pain in two different stays and in two different rooms.

I would probably stay here again if it were not for that. I am trying out one of the other nearby Hilton brand hotels on my next trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Washington state
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I got this hotel through Priceline, and the quality-to-price ratio was outstanding. The Embassy Suites experience in general is a good one, and since this hotel is a little older and located in the suburbs, you get the amenities of a luxury hotel without having to pay the luxury price.

The courtyard area is really beautiful and has plenty of tables and chairs for people to hang out. Unfortunately, my travel plans didn't leave any room for me to attend any of the daily manager's receptions, but I did see plenty of people in the courtyard with drinks after it was over, and they all seemed to be having a great time. Maybe next time!

The made-to-order omelettes is the highlight of the included breakfast. They also have potatoes, sausage, etc. to go along with it. The rest of it is standard continental breakfast fare, but I didn't need any of it after my omelette. Coffee was pretty bad, but you get decent stuff in your room (I forget what kind of coffee, but it was Harney & Sons tea bags).

Rooms are older, but nice. It's a full suite, with two sinks plus a kitchen sink, fridge & microwave, two televisions, a sofa and sitting area, etc. Biggest drawback is the lack of free wifi, but they have a business center you can use for free. We also heard no outside noise, which is a pretty big highlight when it comes to hotels in this price range.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
DOSESS, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Thank you for staying with Embassy Suites during your recent visit to Schaumburg. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you on your next visit.

Our hotel will be going through some renovations that I would like to share with you. Recently our breakfast area, restaurant, bar and meeting space has been renovated and forthcoming our corridor carpeting and suite furnishings will be updated.

We are looking forward to sharing our updated product with you and Our Staff is ready to greet you with a warm welcoming smile and outstanding service.

Please feel free to reach out to me personally to make your next reservation.

Vancouver
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Welcome to the seventies- the hotel is fine, but needs a reno. Staff is helpful, location convenient to Motorola campus across the street

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I only spent one night at this hotel, but my husband, who stayed for over a week had the same impressions I received from my short visit. I'll include a few of his observations in this review. I have stayed at a number of Embassy Suites locations over the years, and the amenities at this location were similar my experiences in the past for the most part.

The Good:
When entering the hotel lobby and the main atrium, you experience the visual splendor of plants, fountains, stone walk-ways and glass elevators that make Embassy Suites unique and exciting. Breakfast and a happy hour are available at no additional cost. We stopped by the happy hour and thought they offered a fairly wide selection of snacks and drinks. Our particular room rate option included a limited dinner option some nights of the week (I believe it was Monday through Thursday, but don’t quote me on that). I did not stay on a night dinner was included in our rate, but my husband said the meals were though there wasn’t a large variety of options with this particular deal. For those only staying a few nights the variety would not be an issue. The hotel offers workout facilities, and the pool and hot tub are indoor, so you can keep in shape or enjoy the recreation year-round.

The rooms offered the standard Embassy privacy of a front room and a bedroom that could be closed off. This was great for us, as my sister was staying with us and the couch pulls out to become a bed. The front room has space to sit and relax, and the bar-style counter sets off a small area with a refrigerator and microwave. The bedroom has a vanity table, which is helpful when two or more people are getting ready in the morning or before heading out for the evening. The bath amenities, by Crabtree and Evelyn, were a pleasant surprise. The Avocado, Basil and Olive shampoo and conditioner were an unexpectedly refreshing mix. Just reading the bottle the combination sounds strange, but I really enjoyed my showers with these products.
The staff was pleasant and always smiled when we approached. When my husband asked for something sharp and strong to cut open our luggage (it was on its last leg and the zipper would never again open), they didn’t run in horror.

The not-so-good:
While I enjoyed the above-mentioned amenities offered by this Embassy Suites, the state of our room was not so great. It wasn’t particularly dirty. It was just old and worn. The most entertaining example of this was the cushion on the chair that had a noticeable hole in the center. We flipped the cushion to hide it and found a considerably larger hole on the other side. The suite was a bit on the cramped side. We knew we would be in the Schaumburg area for several months, so we wanted a hotel experience that offered a bit of “home”. The lounge area of the suite was not quite big enough to be a place where I would want to spend a lot of time, and with three people, we found ourselves stepping over each other bit to navigate going in and out of the bathroom.
The price of the hotel was much higher than the other local options I researched. We felt that the worn condition of the room and the slightly cramped feeling did not warrant the price point. In comparison, we transferred to the Homewood Suites in the area where we had a much larger suite, a kitchenette, similar included meal amenities, and unbelievable service for more than $50 a day less than what we were paying at the Embassy. The only amenities we lost were the impressive atrium, and the year-round pool and hot tub.

All in all, I though the Embassy was exciting, but the feeling that it was old and worn, too cramped for my longer-stay needs, and too much money for the returns ended up sending me elsewhere for the rest of my visit. If you’re just staying a few nights, are looking for an exciting and active atmosphere, and aren’t concerned about price, you will probably be quite happy with this Embassy Suites location.

1 Thank Roggedance
DOSESS, Sales Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
Thank you for your recent resonse. I do hope we have the pleasure of servicing you on your next visit. Forth coming our hotel will be going through a soft renovation to include but not limited to updating carpeting in our hallways, as well as our guest suite furnishings. We have started our renovation in our public areas and have recently completed our ballroom, lounge, restaurant and breakfast area. We are pleased that you especially enjoyed the atmosphere of our Garden atrium as well as the new bath amenities by Crabtree and Evelyn.

Please feel free to contact me directly to make your future reservation.

Sales Manager
WAUWATOSA
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I had dinner here on friday night. Staff was VERY attentive, professional, and personable. I ordered the crab cake appetizer, came with a nice roulade, attractively served but was ordinary with no lumps or pieces of crab. I also order the baby back ribs which were great! Tender, nice balance of sweet and slightly spicy sauce that had been cooked onto the ribs. wonderfully cooked vegetables on the side and came with sliced baquette and a great fresh salad of a variety of greens. I also ordered the chocolate cake that was very moist and fudgy, served with whipped cream which cut some of the richness. The manager stopped by tables and seemed very sincere in asking if everything was to the diners satisfaction. Nice relaxing atmosphere. Prices were good, $10 for crab cakes, $20 for ribs, $6 for dessert. I would return here in the future........staff alone was reason to return.

Room Tip: did not stay here, dining only
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for this wonderful review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience while dining in Lafittes and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Sales Manager
Riverside, California
Reviewed October 8, 2011

nice front desk staff, nice rooms. I stayed on the second and third floors. the executive suites are cool-big table, good size frig, nice microwave and iron. kind of hard to get a good connection with wifi in the bedrooms. loved the "outdoors" feel. sheets and pillows seemed clean and white. loved the complementary breakfast and good "managers welcome" in the evening. wished the restaurant was opened a little bit longer. good location. close to shopping and close to markets and restaurants and not that far from downtown (about 25-35 minutes; parking downtown is tough though, I would suggest the parking lot on Ohio street- $10, good until 2am, after a certain enter time, I think enter time is after 2pm, double check that, or park for free on the streets in Lincoln park near the zoo). I would love to stay here again. The only thing is I had a zippered pouch of highlighters and tabs that disappeared. looked all over for them told the front desk before I left, because I would be checking in again later the following week, and when I came back they couldn't find them... I still wonder what happened to them... one of the guests tried to get into my room one night; I think he was drunk 'cause he was yelling a bit... but in any case, if I ever go to chicago again, and I would afford it, I would really like to stay here.

Room Tip: third floor and up is good. second floor to the right, you can hear an noise from the bar at night...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
DOSESS, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for your very kind review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you visit us again in the future!

Please feel free to reach out to me directly to assist in making your next reservation.