“Standard Embassy amenities, but needs renovation”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I only spent one night at this hotel, but my husband, who stayed for over a week had the same impressions I received from my short visit. I'll include a few of his observations in this review. I have stayed at a number of Embassy Suites locations over the years, and the amenities at this location were similar my experiences in the past for the most part.

The Good:
When entering the hotel lobby and the main atrium, you experience the visual splendor of plants, fountains, stone walk-ways and glass elevators that make Embassy Suites unique and exciting. Breakfast and a happy hour are available at no additional cost. We stopped by the happy hour and thought they offered a fairly wide selection of snacks and drinks. Our particular room rate option included a limited dinner option some nights of the week (I believe it was Monday through Thursday, but don’t quote me on that). I did not stay on a night dinner was included in our rate, but my husband said the meals were though there wasn’t a large variety of options with this particular deal. For those only staying a few nights the variety would not be an issue. The hotel offers workout facilities, and the pool and hot tub are indoor, so you can keep in shape or enjoy the recreation year-round.

The rooms offered the standard Embassy privacy of a front room and a bedroom that could be closed off. This was great for us, as my sister was staying with us and the couch pulls out to become a bed. The front room has space to sit and relax, and the bar-style counter sets off a small area with a refrigerator and microwave. The bedroom has a vanity table, which is helpful when two or more people are getting ready in the morning or before heading out for the evening. The bath amenities, by Crabtree and Evelyn, were a pleasant surprise. The Avocado, Basil and Olive shampoo and conditioner were an unexpectedly refreshing mix. Just reading the bottle the combination sounds strange, but I really enjoyed my showers with these products.
The staff was pleasant and always smiled when we approached. When my husband asked for something sharp and strong to cut open our luggage (it was on its last leg and the zipper would never again open), they didn’t run in horror.

The not-so-good:
While I enjoyed the above-mentioned amenities offered by this Embassy Suites, the state of our room was not so great. It wasn’t particularly dirty. It was just old and worn. The most entertaining example of this was the cushion on the chair that had a noticeable hole in the center. We flipped the cushion to hide it and found a considerably larger hole on the other side. The suite was a bit on the cramped side. We knew we would be in the Schaumburg area for several months, so we wanted a hotel experience that offered a bit of “home”. The lounge area of the suite was not quite big enough to be a place where I would want to spend a lot of time, and with three people, we found ourselves stepping over each other bit to navigate going in and out of the bathroom.
The price of the hotel was much higher than the other local options I researched. We felt that the worn condition of the room and the slightly cramped feeling did not warrant the price point. In comparison, we transferred to the Homewood Suites in the area where we had a much larger suite, a kitchenette, similar included meal amenities, and unbelievable service for more than $50 a day less than what we were paying at the Embassy. The only amenities we lost were the impressive atrium, and the year-round pool and hot tub.

All in all, I though the Embassy was exciting, but the feeling that it was old and worn, too cramped for my longer-stay needs, and too much money for the returns ended up sending me elsewhere for the rest of my visit. If you’re just staying a few nights, are looking for an exciting and active atmosphere, and aren’t concerned about price, you will probably be quite happy with this Embassy Suites location.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Roggedance
DOSESS, Sales Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2011

Thank you for your recent resonse. I do hope we have the pleasure of servicing you on your next visit. Forth coming our hotel will be going through a soft renovation to include but not limited to updating carpeting in our hallways, as well as our guest suite furnishings. We have started our renovation in our public areas and have recently completed our ballroom, lounge, restaurant and breakfast area. We are pleased that you especially enjoyed the atmosphere of our Garden atrium as well as the new bath amenities by Crabtree and Evelyn.

Please feel free to contact me directly to make your future reservation.

847-241-5415

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield

Reviewed October 10, 2011

I had dinner here on friday night. Staff was VERY attentive, professional, and personable. I ordered the crab cake appetizer, came with a nice roulade, attractively served but was ordinary with no lumps or pieces of crab. I also order the baby back ribs which were great! Tender, nice balance of sweet and slightly spicy sauce that had been cooked onto the ribs. wonderfully cooked vegetables on the side and came with sliced baquette and a great fresh salad of a variety of greens. I also ordered the chocolate cake that was very moist and fudgy, served with whipped cream which cut some of the richness. The manager stopped by tables and seemed very sincere in asking if everything was to the diners satisfaction. Nice relaxing atmosphere. Prices were good, $10 for crab cakes, $20 for ribs, $6 for dessert. I would return here in the future........staff alone was reason to return.

Room Tip: did not stay here, dining only
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for this wonderful review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience while dining in Lafittes and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

nice front desk staff, nice rooms. I stayed on the second and third floors. the executive suites are cool-big table, good size frig, nice microwave and iron. kind of hard to get a good connection with wifi in the bedrooms. loved the "outdoors" feel. sheets and pillows seemed clean and white. loved the complementary breakfast and good "managers welcome" in the evening. wished the restaurant was opened a little bit longer. good location. close to shopping and close to markets and restaurants and not that far from downtown (about 25-35 minutes; parking downtown is tough though, I would suggest the parking lot on Ohio street- $10, good until 2am, after a certain enter time, I think enter time is after 2pm, double check that, or park for free on the streets in Lincoln park near the zoo). I would love to stay here again. The only thing is I had a zippered pouch of highlighters and tabs that disappeared. looked all over for them told the front desk before I left, because I would be checking in again later the following week, and when I came back they couldn't find them... I still wonder what happened to them... one of the guests tried to get into my room one night; I think he was drunk 'cause he was yelling a bit... but in any case, if I ever go to chicago again, and I would afford it, I would really like to stay here.

Room Tip: third floor and up is good. second floor to the right, you can hear an noise from the bar at night...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
DOSESS, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Schaumburg/Woodfield, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

Thank you for your very kind review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you visit us again in the future!

Please feel free to reach out to me directly to assist in making your next reservation.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

The Embassy suites hotel probably was posh when it opened, but it appears little has been done to upgrade the facility since then. The design is the standard Embassy suites layout with an open courtyard and atrium. My suite looked dated and there were several cigarette burn in the couch, unusual for a non-smooking hotel but indicative that the furnishings have not been changed in some time. Everything has a dated look and desparately call out for a renovation project. The staff was courteous and prompt to change out the feather pillows, so no complaints there. Another problem was that the entrance to the facility is not well marked and the sign is actually a few hundred meters past the entrance.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Embassy Suites during your recent visit to Schaumburg. Our hotel has recently undergone some renovation in our public areas such as the ballroom, lounge, restaurant and breakfast area. We will continue our renovation into the guest suites and hallways and hope you will return to experience our newly updated product.

We strive to exceed all expectations while you travel and hope that we have the opportunity to invite you back on your next visit.

Please feel free to contact me directly for any future reservations.

Reviewed September 27, 2011

I was on a short business trip to the area and I was accidentally booked at this hotel by my assistant instead of the one I wanted. I was prepared to be nothing but disappointed. However, upon arrival, the staff were smiling and quick at check in. Immediate impression was that the property was older but extremely charming, with quality materials and a lot of character. I am an extremely light sleeper so I was concerned about the courtyard, but once in my room, I had no issues. The room was sparingly appointed, but I had all I needed. I loved having a separate table and sofa to do work. If I had my spouse or kids, I would have really appreciated the extra sink and vanity in the bedroom.
I have traveled all over the world, and these were some of the friendliest, nicest people I met. They even arranged a short trip via shuttle for me to run a personal errand, which I really appreciated. And they seemed happy to do it. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: LIght sleepers should choose rooms not directly on the courtyard.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites on your recent visit to Schaumburg! We are very pleased that we met your expectations during your travels.

All of our staff here look forward to servicing you again on your next visit. Please feel free to reach out to me personally to make your next reservation.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I generally don't mind older properties, but this hotel really needs a facelift. Service and food were fine, and the hotel was generally quiet. The rooms, however, are sub-par. Furniture is old and dated, and lots of dark wood make the room drab and dreary. Bathrooms are very small - floor tile is old and looks dirty. Granite was added to the bathroom, but it just makes the lack of other updates even more noticeable. The TV takes about 5 seconds to go from one channel to the next (which would not have been too big of a problem if there had been a channel lineup in the room). The in-room coffee is undrinkable. If you need a comfortable bed and don't mind old, this hotel is OK, but for the money, you can do better in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed at this Hotel in July and it was the most delightful. We are Seniors and the Food and SERVICE blew our mind. We the Hotel after 10:00 each day and returned for the managers special. Everything was GREAT!!

Room Tip: The higher floor the quieter it is.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple