“Buzzing lights.....really?”

Chicago Marriott Schaumburg
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Long away from home and after a delayed flight you want to wind down. Everything seems ok at your usual Marriott until you turn on either of the bedside lights to read or watch TV and you get an incessant buzzing sound from the cheap CFL light bulb... Really? At the lobby you also notice a cheap marquee-type lights coming from half a floor above, while the entrance carpet has certainly seen better days... You never expect a Marriott property to have these flaws...you would from a Motel 6

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Maz I, General Manager at Chicago Marriott Schaumburg, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

I would like to thank you for your feedback. We have taken a look at the lighting concerns and it seems to be from the fixture and not the actual light bulb. If you have the time I would like to speak to you a little more in detail on any other issues you may have had. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

There are newer reviews for Chicago Marriott Schaumburg

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed here because of a conference, but was very disappointed in this hotel. I think every Courtyard I've ever stayed in would beat this hotel hands-down. As noted in other reviews, the expressway is noisy, and the wireless Internet is very spotty. I even called tech support, to no avail. I got assigned to a handicapped-accessible room, which had adjoining doors to the rooms on each side. I don't know if I got lucky or what, but I could hear the goings-on in both of those rooms, which made for a very unpleasant stay. Thankfully, I only booked for one night because of the conference - I'll be staying at a Courtyard for the remainder of my time in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

On behalf of all of us I would like to apologize for your experience with us. We have taken your comments and feedback and we will look into how we can make improvements. We are currently looking how to improve the noise issue from your adjoining room issue. We really value your feedback. Your scores on room cleanliness and service are very much appreciated. I hope that you will give us another opportunity the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Lovely place, close to shopping mall, staff were really nice, good breakfast - although not full english as no baked beans. Complementary wi-fi only available in lounge which is a bit of a shame in the age and time. Wi-fi for a day aboout $10 - equivalent of what it costs in a month . Marriot should definitely do more about that and offer a better deal for group bookings.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

I am glad to see that you spent such a special occasion with us at the Schaumburg Marriott. On behalf of all of us at the hotel we would like to wish you a belated Happy Birthday. I very much appreciate your wonderful comments regarding the staff service and breakfast. I have shared them with our team. We look forward to your next visit to the area, and very much appreciate you choosing our hotel.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

This Marriott excelled in certain areas but fell short in a couple important areas as well.

Check in was handled by a friendly personable front desk agent who had me on my way in 30 seconds without feeling rushed. The lobby area and public spaces were clean, updated, and very nice.

The elevators were very quick and had me up to my room on the 6th floor quickly. The hallways were clean and well lit but the wood entry doors tip you off to the actual age of the property.

The room was simply ok. The carpet was clean and stain free, the bed was big and comfortable with great bedding. An older flat screen tv was provided as well. The room did have a bit of a dated look to it as other have mentioned.

The bathroom was far from the highlight of the Schaumburg Marriott. Postage stamp in size and cramped for even one person. That being said the bathroom itself was clean and well stocked with plenty of towels and the usual quality Marriott amenities. Shower pressure was very good as well.

The high speed internet was a disappointment. Charging $10 a day for internet in my opinion is absurd but even more absurd is when the signal is so unreliable that it drops every 5 minutes. Tech support and engineering was of no help to resolve so I had it removed from my bill and simply used my phone as a hotspot through the remainder of my stay.

I did use the restaurant for breakfast one morning and found the service to be top notch and the food was very good as well.

I can say that the service all around was great at this Marriott so if you can handle a postage stamp for a bathroom and spotty internet access I will give this property my recommendation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank michtraveler1969

I would like to thank you for you feedback. It is the most valuable tool we have to improve our business. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding the staff service and cleanliness of the hotel. In regards to your comment about the bathroom, we are limited by the physical size. We are in the process of renovating the guest bathrooms to improve the space we do have. As for the internet charge that is something that Marriott dictates. We have increased our bandwidth and currently seeking to have the internet upgraded as we know this is a very important need for our guest. I hope that you choose our hotel the next time you are in the area. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have stayed at Marriotts before and this one is alright. We are platinum members so we are automatically put on one of the consierge levels. The rooms are very nice and the staff had the room set a nice temperature. The lounge on the 14th floor is adequate. They have an "honor bar" not really. There is a sign that you have to ask the hostess to make you a drink. All of the alcohol is locked up during the hors when they serve it and she will make it for you. We are adults and can make our own drinks! They are still making money even if someone puts a shot and a half in a drink instead of a shot. They also do not really keep things out all day. I have been to other Marriotts and they have fruit all day and other snacks. The marriott in Jacksonville will pretty much put out dinner at night and then give you cookies. Not is Schaumburg. The Marriotts I have been in Heidelburg, Prague, and Budapest put this one to shame. The hotel serves its purpose for me being close to all of my old friends when I return. If I was not a platinum member I do not know if I would stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would also like to thank you for your scores regarding the cleanliness and service areas of the hotel. I would like to apologize for your experience with the bar in the concierge lounge. I will discuss this with our team and take your comments into consideration. We all very much appreciate your loyalty to Marriott, and it is our repeat guests such as yourself that make what we do so special. We look forward to your next visit to the area.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

The staff could not have been nicer. The room was clean and comfortable, maybe just a little "dated", but nothing that would keep me from staying again. Conveniently located to the highway and businesses in Schaumburg.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments and perfect scores in all areas regarding the hotel. Our associates are some of the best in the business and genuinely take pride in what they do everyday. We are currently in the process of renovating the guestroom bathrooms, and we are slated to start a room renovation early next year. We look forward to your next visit to the area.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Room was comfortable although unremarkable. We have had two separate stays in the past couple of weeks for family events, both times the hotel was teeming with soccer teams. The hotel is very close to a large soccer field complex and apparently hosts many of the players and their families. The first afternoon we checked in we had just returned from an international flight and the sound of giggling girls, footsteps running up and down the halls, and doors slamming made us very worried that afternoon. In fairness, it was quiet in the night and we were not bothered while sleeping. The second stay we invited guests back to the hotel for a night cap and the bar was packed (I guess the parents need a break too). Again, no noise in the room, but the lobby and public areas were chaotic with parents, families, and groups of giggling girls coming and going day and night.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments and perfect scores regarding cleanliness, friendliness, location, and sleep quality. That particular weekend was indeed a soccer weekend. We are conveniently located with in walking distance to the fields which makes us a popular choice for the tournaments. We look forward to your next visit to the area, and appreciate your loyalty to the hotel.