Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel
GreenLeadersGold level
West Frankfort, Illinois
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel July 13-15 for a dance convention. It is a beautiful hotel. There are many large ballrooms. Our dance convention used 2 of them and there was another huge dance competition in another ballroom, but the hotel never felt over crowded. The casual bar/grill restaurant was good and reasonably priced. The location was great if you plan on shopping at Woodfield mall or Ikea. The mall was less than 2 miles away. We drove, but they also had a shuttle that would take you. The lobby and common areas were decorated nicely and there were many seating areas scattered between the hotel and convention center.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I had arranged a special, weekend trip for my family and I to visit Schaumburg so that we could go to dinner and Medieval Times Dinner Theatre. I had booked a stay at the Renaissance as the price appeared will in line with the hotels in the area and it appeared to have good reviews.

We only stayed one night but the experience was great. I had called a day in advance to let them know that this was a special trip for us (daughter's birthday) and that we wanted the experience to be great. They placed us on the "penthouse" floor with a great view. The room was the cleanest room that I had ever stayed in and the beds were very, very comfortable. My daughter's could have just stayed in the hotel room and not done anything else and would have been happy.

The hotel itself is very modern looking inside and very clean. Very large and impressive entrance. The only thing that was a little weird was the placement of the check-in. It is actually on the 2nd floor and it wasn't real intuitive to find it. Someone working there had to direct us. But, it wasn't that big of a deal.

There was a television built into the mirror in the bathroom and heaters built into the mirror in order to keep steam from building up in the center of the mirror during a shower. They had thought of everything for this room!

We didn't use the valet service as we didnt' see the need. There was ample parking in the hotel parking lot next to the hotel. So, no need to take on the $14 valet parking fee.

There were only a couple of things that were small negatives that need to be mentioned...
1) They charge for Internet service, which is $15 per day. Didn't like that.
2) The way that the vents for the air conditioner directs air causes an "airstream" to blow across the beds. This was a little uncomfortable at night and really dries out the inside of the nose. I had to put some paper up in the vents to redirect the air so that it didn't blow directly on us.

Room Tip: Call ahead and request a specific room. It appears that they have a lot of conferences and I could...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FamilyGuyFromIndy
Gilberts, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife and I were celebrating our 15th anniversary this weekend and we decided to spend the day in downtown Chicago visiting the Taste of Chicago and Navy Pier. We wanted a nice hotel to stay at without paying downtown Chicago hotel prices. We decided to stay at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel as a coworker had toured the facility and marveled at how nice it was. The hotel is relatively new so I knew the rooms would be nice and up to date. Check-in was very smooth and the elevators were right by the registration desk waiting to whisk you away to your room. Upon exiting the elevator we discovered that there was a dance workshop at the convention center and some of the girls (looked to be ages 12-18) participating in the workshop were staying on our floor. There was a group of 8-10 girls sitting in the middle of the hallway and we had to climb over them to get to our room. Suffice it to say I was nervous that we would be kept up all night by the sounds of squealing girls running in the hallway and in their rooms. However, I was pleasantly surprised as I did not hear a peep from them our entire stay!

The rooms are very nice and spacious! The beds are comfortable, but the pillows were either two large or too small. There is plenty of space to spread out and work if you happen to be on a business trip or need to answer some emails. I was dismayed at the cost of internet service ($14.95/day) whether you are using wired or wireless service. I chose not to use the service, so I cannot speak to the speed or reliability. The bathrooms are decent sized and the showers are big enough to move around in. There is a television in the mirror of the bathroom, but I did not use it, though I guess it would be nice to watch the news while getting ready in the morning.

We also tried out the pool and spa area. The pool was the largest we have seen at a hotel, and they use salt rather than chlorine in both the pool and the hot tub. This made a huge difference as the overwhelming smell of chlorine that can permeate the pool area was not present. Plus the water seemed much clearer. My only complaint was the size of the hot tub. You could fit maybe 5 adults max in the hot tub, which is surprising for a hotel of this size.

I would recommend the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel if you are looking for an affordable upscale hotel to stay at. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

The institution hotel experience is excellent. Rooms are largely comfortable, although the work station set up could use more thought. The health and business centers are well run and useful. The restaurant food is a B-; one might want to go outside of the hotel

They also manage a free shuttle service (do tip the driver) to any destination within three miles. It come quite frequently so the wait is minimal

Front desk staff is professional and friendly

Internet access is pricey -- $14.95 -- so bring your own network

All in all a very good experience and god value if you have a corporate discount. Rack rates are very high

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LarkR
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed one night at this Renaissance and it was a pretty nice experience. The hotel looks really nice and so does the rooms. I am not sure if all rooms have the same kind of view, but mine had a full wall of glass which gave me a nice panoramic view. The bathroom was pretty nice and bright and they have a TV mounted behind the mirror which was pretty cool. Overall, great hotel. The only problem I had was with the wireless internet – it was just way too slow but I guess the reason was because of an IT conference so I guess everyone was trying to use the internet at the same time. Anyway, for a hotel of that caliber I’d expect them to plan for that.

Room Tip: If you like nice views, pick a high floor room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

I was attending another convention; this one was a little smaller than usual and everything was contained into one hotel/convention center. A little pricy for Schaumburg, this isn't downtown Chicago. The hotel was built in 2006 and the decor and rooms were very modern. My room was fair size, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was large enough. Nice shower head, tv in the bathroom mirror was a nice touch. Didn't realize the room had a refrigerator, it was disguised as a row of drawers. I kept hearing a clicking sound so I investigated and discovered the refrigerator.

The hallway outside the rooms is open to the lobby, foyer and bar. It was a little noisy with sounds from the bar. Around 8:30 the morning I was checking out, a housekeeper knocked on my door. I was still in bed and frustrated she wanted access to the room. I guess she didn't know I was still in there sleeping, but thought they should know which rooms were vacant without knocking on doors.

It was nice to have a short walk to/from the convention. You can reach the convention halls from two floors, take the second floor if you want to avoid crowds.

Nice meeting rooms with lots of options for adjusting the sizes of the rooms.

I would stay there again, just try to find a better rate.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room higher than the third floor. The is a roof structure outide the window that...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Scottsdale, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

This newer property is big, bustling and very nice. It has a self-contained convention center and appears very popular with various groups. Rooms are functional, beds comfortable, clean and well lit. The Club Lounge (for Marriott Gold Members) is well stocked with a nice breakfast and a cooler with various drinks. Service was wonderful. My only gripe was in the value department. I paid $229 (no AAA rate available) with an additional $31 for taxes. This is Schaumburg, not downtown Chicago. However, since groups and conventions flock here, I'm sure they can command this overvalued rate. It's nice, but not THAT nice.

Room Tip: If you are not a Marriott Gold member, this is one hotel that paying for a club level room may be wo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business