“Great Food”

Pancho's Taqueria and Catering
Ranked #140 of 406 Restaurants in Schaumburg
Reviewed March 11, 2019

Have been here many times - love the food. Nice and small place - more of a take out place, but does have a pleasant dining room. Decent prices for good authentic Mexican fare.

Only complaint I have is that one time after a visit, my husband's debit card was 'hacked.' Pretty sure it happened there, so we always pay with cash when we eat here.

Date of visit: August 2018
Write a reviewReviews (15)

Reviewed August 14, 2017

Let me start by saying I'm no food critic. I also rarely post online reviews unless I am extremely satisfied with the quality of service/food an establishment provides and leave 5 stars, let alone post reviews when I'm unhappy with the service. It is not worth it. I understand people have bad days. I understand I may be the problem and just didn't like the food/service that one day. I understand posting a bad review might sometimes be trying to mess with someone's livelihood... and like I said, a small moment of displeasure is just not worth making someone else's life hard with their boss/manager. In the grand scheme of things leaving ONE review (positive or negative) might not make a dent. It is the totality of everyone leaving their opinion. That is the beauty of reviews.

Today is a different story. I waited 4 hours to cool off and decide if I should post this. Once again, it might not make a difference but this is is the only way I feel might help tilt the scale in the right direction.

My family and I have been going to Panchos since it opened. It is a very convenient location to us The service has always been good, the food great, and the price fair. We enjoy both dining-in as well as well as carrying out. We usually joke around with the people there and overall it is an enjoyable experience. I really have nothing bad to say about this place until today. What happened today was WAY off line and the worst thing was the owner was 100% at fault.

We went on Wednesday (8/9/17) when they have the $.99 Taco special. We go other days and usually order out but Wednesdays are when we usually dine in because it usually fits my family's schedule. On a few opportunities when I order tacos (only steak, cilantro, cheese), they put onion. I don't eat onions. Is it the worst thing in the world? No. Do I eat it sometimes because I feel bad sending it back? Yes. No big deal. It is a fast-paced restaurant. People make mistakes. Not the end of the world like I said. Today we ordered 7 tacos, and unfortunately one of them tasted weird. Maybe the steak was overcooked? It's possible. Maybe I was being picky? That's also a possibility. Not the issue here though.

I ate half of it and told the waitress what happened. Didn't think too much of it. I would've understood if she came back from the kitchen and said, "Hey we cooked it as we did the others. We are sorry but nothing we could do." Or "Hey, sorry about that. We can make you another but it'll probably be the same." I don't know... anything of that sort. I wasn't trying to fight for a $1 taco.

The waitress came back and just said, "The owner said if you'd like to speak to him, he's available" and walked away. We were confused and just figured, since she took the taco, that she would come back with another one. She never did so when she came back a few minutes later, my dad kindly asked her if they were going to bring another one or if we needed to order another one. We just wanted to know what was going on. She just took the taco, came back and said to speak with the owner, and left. Odd.

Let me also mention something, my dad is VERY non-confrontational. He never argues or complaints. He dislikes when others complain or send food back. Why? Because he is an executive chef. Has been in the food industry for 30+ years. Has worked in all kinds of restaurants managing teams of 50+. He knows sometimes people are just picky and it is a hard job working in the kitchen. He values people's livelihood and has taught me to do the same. Today my dad, first time in forever, kindly asked what we should expect. We would've been okay ordering a new taco and paying for it.

The owner came and told us that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the tacos (without letting us talk). That he knows the "type" of people we are. That we were there to fight a $1 taco. My dad tried to talk, tell him we are loyal customers. That we go there often. His immediate response, "yeah... I bet you only come on Wednesdays!"

That's when things started getting dicey. First of all, that is not true. We go there at all times of the week, like I said above, usually ordering takeout. Even if it was true, why does that matter? So we shouldn't go to your taco place on a day where you OFFER a special promotion? People, that go there on Wednesday's, are not worthy of good service/food? We tried to reason with the guy but he wouldn't have it. He was very dismissive and walked us out the door. My parents paid and left but I wanted to reason with the guy. Try to explain how he treated my dad was really unfair and rude. I really just wanted to have a conversation with the owner. I didn't want anything other than to reason with him and for him to apologize to my dad. He yelled back, Told me to leave his restaurant, that he didn't have time to talk to me. Now or ever. That he knows the type of people we are. Now that I think of it, I think he confused us for another family. lol

I was calm and soft spoken, he was harsh and rude for no good reason. I felt so humiliated. He yelled me out the door in front of a lot of people. Who does that? Definitely not someone who values his customers, his business or someone who is professional.

I will never give him my business again and hope those who read this don't as well. I do believe people can make mistakes and I'm more than open to having a dialogue with the owner. In that case, I will update this but for now, it stays.

If someone treated your dad/mom like that, what would you do?

Date of visit: August 2017
10  Thank Jeisson N
Reviewed August 12, 2017 via mobile

It was an ok place to eat. We went there bass on the great reviews, but it was a take out Mexican place , that was marginal. We should have gone to on the border , it would have been a better choice

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed February 14, 2017 via mobile

The food here is fantastic. My wife and kids ask to go here every week. Price is very reasonable and the atmosphere is nice. Seen it grow from a single store front to where it is today.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed January 31, 2017

Wonderful place with kind and attentive staff, clean and great food. We will definitely be coming back. I had the pork taco dinner and my husband had the steak tacos and pork torta combo platter. Both were excellent.

Date of visit: January 2017