“Nice Twist on Traditional Mexican” 4 of 5 bubbles

El Meson Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #108 of 318 Restaurants in Schaumburg
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West Carrollton, Ohio
“Nice Twist on Traditional Mexican”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We came here while attending a conference in Schaumburg. We were looking for something different than the usual chain casuals. I always gravitate to Mexican and it sounded good. The atmosphere is a bit cheesy, but not to bad and still has a bit of warmth. They could do better. Service was the main shortcoming. We were seated quickly in a primarily empty restaurant but waited considerably for the older waitress to make her rounds. Chips & salsa were very good without being great. Our meal were well prepared and presented well. I loved there enchilada sauce/mole, which is influenced by the Oaxaca region of Mexico. Unique and delicious spice blends in their food make it very tasty. Definitely not a fancy place, but a nice options that I would choose again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Algonquin, Illinois
“Authentic Mexican Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have been going to El Meson for over 15 years. Until recently, I would have rated it "Excellent" as it was. We have found that in the past couple years, the food has seemed to deteriorate. The interior has not changed at all. We are now looking for a new place.

Visited April 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Stop at the salsa”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Had a lunch here with a girlfriend on a Thursday afternoon. Not much to write home about. Service was slow and we were the only two in the restaurant. Their "diet coke" cannot actually be diet coke, if it is they don't know how to balance the syrups or carbonation. The complimentary chips and salsa is the best part about this place. They give you two different salsas, a red and a green, both with a decent amount of heat. The salsas are fresh and the chips warm from the fryer.
I had one of the lunch specials that came with a chili relleno and a cheese quesadilla. Neither gave me any reason to go back. My friend had one of the chicken mole dishes that she has every time she goes. She loves it and had come back here many times.
I was really disappointed in the menu, nothing with fish or shrimp at lunch. The bathrooms were very clean and the prices cheap.

Schaumburg, Illinois
“Authentic Mexican place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Owner is trying his best to save the business, but his employees are careless. One we called to check on working hours (Friday night), were told they are open 'til 10 PM. We made a reservation for 9, got there at 9.10, but the place were closing. We decided not to mention it to the owner (he cooks outside, we've been there before). Located in Schaumburg downtown, can sit outside during summer. Tasty authentic Mexican food.

Visited February 2014
Galesburg, Michigan
“Very Average Mexican Dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

I was searching for Mexican restaurants in Schuamburg hoping to find a somewhat upscale restaurant with Mexican cuisine. Based on the reviews, I decided to try El Meson. The food was very average. The margaritas were quite expensive and I'm not sure they contained any alcohol at all. I will not return.

• Visited March 2014