“Always fresh”

Sushi Ya
Ranked #46 of 333 Restaurants in Schaumburg
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Always delicious sushi. Everything I have tried here has been wonderful...delicious miso soup and edamame included. Great neighborhood place- hope it doesn't get too popular.....selfish me

There are newer reviews for Sushi Ya

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Great sushi and decent price. Very small so would not recommend a large group. The servers are friendly and attentive, but not in your face while you are eating. Miso soup & edamame are served as appetizers no charge. The Gyoza is perfectly served. Spicy tuna rolls are awesome. Love to eat lunch here during the week.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We've gone three times, most recently the weekend of November 17th and have really enjoyed the food each time. We found the tempura to be light and tasty with a large portion of shrimp and vegetables. Also enjoyed the teriyaki, Don Grice (spicy chicken or beef with sauteed vegetables) and the spicy yaki udon. All very delicious with good sized portions and reasonably priced

It's fairly small inside so you might want to consider reservations, especially if you have a party larger than 4 people. Typical of many Japanese restaurants you are warmly greeted on arrival and warmly thanked on departure by what seems like every staff member in the place. Service is attentive, with a lot of stop by's to make sure your water is full and everything is OK. Almost a little mother hen, but it fits into the overall personality of the place and does not seem contrived.

One thing we noticed is there can be 5-7 minutes between the first person at the table getting their meal and the last person getting their meal. It's not a major for us, but with the same or similar dishes it seems like they could come fairly close together. They also struggle a little bit with special requests. A request to omit onions on one dish apparently caused a lot of churn in the kitchen. We would not have been offended if the server came back and told us the raw vegetables were pre-blended so it would not be possible due to the vegetable mixture being common to several dishes, etc.

Overall very high marks and we have definitely included this restaurant in the rotation. So if you have a non-sushi eater in the group don't worry there are lots of great menu offerings on the menu to choose from. The location is in a strip mall and is kind of non-descript on the outside, but don't let that stop you from giving it a try!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

The sushi was good, but super, super tiny. I ordered a dinner which had several pieces and a roll. The rice balls were tiny on the sushi and the roll was small. I ordered another roll as I thought maybe it would be bigger than the one on the dinner combo. The roll came out as 6 tiny pieces, not quite the diameter of my thumb and about an inch long. I told the waitress it was the smallest sushi I have ever seen in my life, and I go at least twice a week for over 20 years. She did not get it. So after 40.00 for my food alone I left, still hungry. Again, the quality was good but geez at least put some rice in there if you want to skimp on the fish.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I totally love sushi and sushi ya has excellent, outstanding rolls for you, the perfect tiny size in each peace so can appreciate the flavor, Edamame to start all the time and for free (you don't see that everywhere), customer service, OMG, people in Chicago es so nice and the people at sushi ya are a good sample of that. I would definitely come back to sushi ya, It's perfect for a week day lunch or nice dinner, budget? don't worry! the prices are great, affordable. The place is pretty and clean.