“Skip it...”

Cuisines: Thai
New York City, New York
“Skip it...”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The green Curry was a mess of broken sauce and no flavor, the Ginger Shrimp nothing better than poor quality American style Chinese food,,, even the rice was mushy. I know Thai food... this place is to be avoided. Personally i don't understand positive reviews about this place... Friday night and the place was almost empty...there is a reason...

• Visited May 2012

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Whatever else you order, get the tom yum soup!”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Dan Thai is a nice Thai restaurant in a strip mall in Schaumburg. It's clean, pleasant, has a friendly and laid-back atmosphere, an attentive and gracious staff, a more than adequate menu, and low prices.

And the tom yum soup is unbelievably good.

It was so unexpected. I stopped there while out shopping, and chose Dan Thai only because it was the closest Thai place to where I was. The pad thai with tofu, which I picked from the lunch menu ($7.50) because it's my favorite Thai dish, came with a choice of soup or appetizer of the day. The appetizer was crab rangoon (one piece) and the soup was tom yum chicken, so I chose the soup.

Good choice! It came in a cup, no more than 8 ounces, but it smelled wonderful. When I tried twice to push my spoon edge-on to the bottom of the cup, the soup was so loaded with chicken and mushrooms that I couldn't reach the bottom. The taste was a perfect blend of moderate heat and tartness. It was the best tom yum soup I've ever had, bar none. The 8 ounces felt like a meal. When the pad thai came, it was fine, but it couldn't compete with the soup.

The decor includes a large, highly detailed, carefully carved dragon winding aroung a tree stump, bearing a price tag of $1,499. Unless you're in the market for a dragon, don't take that much cash with you, because after you try the tom yum soup, you'll be in a buying mood.

• Visited December 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Save room for coconut ice cream!”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We went here for my husband's birthday dinner. Everything we had was wonderful. We ordered the green curry vegetarian entree, and rama thai noodles with chicken. My son decided to try the duck noodle soup. We were hesitant about it but it was very flavorful. Portions are large. They surprised us and brought us out an order of their homemade coconut ice cream which they serve with banana wontons. It was delicious. I would never have ordered it, but I will definitely be going back for more.

• Visited September 2011