“A pretty nice place!”

Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My wife and I like to do little overnighters for our birthdays, she tries to surprise me, I try to surprise her. Our trip this year (June 1-2) for her birthday was to Schaumburg for (unbeknownst to her) the Medieval Times dinner and tournament. It just so happened that the Hyatt House had a package deal. I'll review Medieval Times later.

As for the Hyatt House.. They had the best deal on a room/event package, and although here on Trip Advisor their ranking is low overall for the Schaumburg area, most of the reviews were leaning positive, so I took a chance. We drove pretty much right to the hotel, as it's easy to find. Schaumburg is a nice place with a lot of shops and restaurants. When I made the reservation via phone about a week prior, I mentioned in passing to the associate that this was the weekend of my wife's birthday. Apparently, she made note or something, or however it happened; upon check in she upgraded the room to a spa tub at no charge. And a note about the two young ladies at the desk... I have seldom seen broader smiles and genuine welcomes from ANY hotel desk associates. What a great start to a great weekend! I will have to note, that check in is supposed to be at 3pm, but they had not finished up our room by 3:45? So we did some running around and came back..No biggie. Got to the room, very clean looking, the appliances were clean and looked fairly modern. We were there only overnight so only the cleanliness was important to us. I do have to add, my wife did notice some sort of unpleasantness on one of the drawer handles, but not a deal breaker. Bathroom was stocked, the spa tub was REALLY a nice touch, since we were there as a couple (wink wink).. So showers, lounging and off to the show. Easy and quick to find Medieval Times with the map the desk provided along with our ticket vouchers.
When we returned from the show we stopped at the front desk to inquire about ice. We were assured the ice maker in the room fridge would supply the ice, when we got to the room, the freezer had no ice maker. We had just purchased a bottled soda from the little "mart" at the hotel desk, but it was warm (and expensive). A little bit in the freezer, and it was good to go. The bed was comfy, but had an odd squeak when you rolled over..Not during any other critical times (another wink,wink), but just certain shifts in sleeping positon. All in all, a good night's sleep.
Our stay included the hot breakfast, so we wanted to take advantage. Since this hotel has no real lounge or restaurant, the breakfast bar area is where this takes place. The breakfast was hot, a bit limited, but really pretty good. The main problem with this is lack of seating. VERY little room to sit and eat. The lobby couches and such had to be used as the dining area.
After breakfast, we proceeded to check out, and away we went.

In a nutshell, the Hyatt House was a good fit for our purpose. The price was right, and the pros FAR outweighed the cons.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I'm going to keep it short:

1) They called while we were on our way, saying the crib we reserved weeks in advance, was no longer available since others had checked in (early) before us.. Was told to bring our own crib.

2) Hotel room was clean, but furnishing were dirty/outdated/nicked and dented

3) 4 yr old was yelled at by employee who was restocking the breakfast buffet for not having shoes on (my fault, but who yells about this?)

4) Pool area clean, but small

5) 2 Electric Burners, Fridge, and Dishwasher were a nice touch.

6) Internet didn't work on smartphone (don't know why)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
GMHyattHouse, Assistant GM at Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Valued Hyatt Hotel Guest,

First I would like to say I am sorry that one of our employees yelled at your child during breakfast. As I am catching up with these reviews for our hotel, I was not aware of this and thank you for bringing this to my attention. Our hotel does not tolerate this type of behavior at all, and I will address this with the staff members. Also, I apologize about the crib. It is based on availability, and unfortunately there was none left prior to your arrival. I am sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay but thank you for staying at our hotel. I hope you will give us a 2nd chance in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We like to take staycations out in the suburbs with the kids. It is a nice getaway from the city and the kids enjoy the pool. The staff was very nice and check-in was very easy. The indoor pool was perfect size for the kids (the deepest part was 4 feet) and was clean. Towels were always out. The room was clean, but you can tell that it is a bit outdated. The doors seems worn, the TVs have seen better days and the beds were not comfortable. We might stay here again, but it would not be a first choice.

Dear Valued Hyatt Guest,

I am glad you stayed at our property which is conveniently located near I-90 and I-290/355. I happy to hear your family enjoyed our pool. We do plan to go under some renovations later this year, so hopefully when you decide to come back to our hotel it will be better than before! Thanks for your review.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. It was afforable, the rooms are big and the kitchen was fully stocked with dishes, pots and pans, etc. The breakfast was excellent. Conviently located just a couple minutes from Woodfield Mall.

Dear Valued Hyatt House Guest,

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for writing such kind words about our property. We work diligently hard everyday to make sure our guests have all they need to enjoy their stay. I am happy to hear that mall was convenient for you to visit. Thanks again and I hope to see you at our hotel in the future!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

On May 17, 2013, my family visit Chicago and stay here for one night. The breakfast is pretty good. From hot sausage to cold milk for you to choose. The room is clean and make you feel like home. It doesn't use the cheap thing like Extend Stay cross the road. The only thing is the noise of the refrigerator in the midnight, but you can turn it off. I didn't have wireless problem since I connect the laptop with the RJ45 cable provided on the table.

Dear Valued Hyatt House Guest,

Thanks for your great review! I am happy you stayed at our property and felt at home. Sorry for late reply, but I hope that your trip back to Toronto was good and on time. I hope that the next time your in Chicago again you will stay with us.

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel! The check-in was wonderful- I mentioned that it was our anniversary and we were suprised by a free upgrade! The room was great- clean, comfy bed, the bathroom was very nice, the fully stocked kitchen was a beautiful surprise and helpful and the whirlpool tub (which came with the upgrade) was awesome. The staff was great and helpful, the social hour was good and the breakfast was decent. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHyattHouse, General Manager at Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Valued Hyatt House Guest,

I am glad to hear your anniversary stay at our hotel was great! The whirlpool suite is one of our most popular suites, and I'm happy that you got experience it. No matter the occasion our staff always welcomes all our guests into our hotel and tries meet their every need. Perhaps the next time you are celebrating another special occasion, you can plan to come back to our hotel! Later this year we will be doing renovations to our hotel, so you can expect even more next time! Thank you again!

Chris Kontos

Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The check in was awesome- personnel were very friendly and nice. Room was nice- huge frig/ freezer- oven microwave. The room/ bed was smaller than I would have liked but we reserved thru Hotwire and I think you get what you get:) the bed wasn't the most comfortable and music playing from somewhere - not the hotel- until 2:30 am made for a long night- the other room we reserved that our teenage daughters and friends didn't hear the music- and they slept fine- breakfast was free and a very large variety- my husband said it was probably the best free breakfast. Check out was great- again very friendly personnel. Our room was VERY clean and the bathroom was nice. All in all it was a nice stay:)

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Valued Hyatt House Guest,

Thanks for staying with us! I am happy to hear your stay was nice! I apologize about the music, it was coming from the nearby bar/nightclub across the street. The next time you stay with us again, we will place you on the opposite side away from the night club. I'm glad to hear your were satisfied with some of the in room amenities and with the breakfast. I hope to see you again the next time you visit Illinois! My name is Chris and I look forward to your next visit!

Chris Kontos