New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg

Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Milwaukee, WI
“Not what I was expecting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I brought my boyfriend to Schaumberg for a weekend getaway for his birthday. I chose this hotel because of the free breakfast and microwave/fridge in the room, and the sauna with the hot tub and indoor pool the facility has. Also for the location. Location is great, but the hotel is more for extended stay. The room was nice enough (we had a queen studio), with a FULL kitchen - regular size refrigerator, microwave, mini stove/oven, mini dishwasher, sink, and was stocked with items to cook and eat off of.

We were located in room 202. I would recommend staying as far away from the lobby as possible, as some of the 2nd floor overlooks the lobby, and it can get quite noisy. Also, this room is right by the elevator. We didn't think to change rooms at the time. You can also hear your neighbors, as well as the plumbing. The air conditioning/heater was pretty loud when it came on, but the temperature was comfortable, and at least it worked.

There was no full length mirror, but there was a mirror next to the table/desk, as well as a large mirror in the bathroom. There weren't many outlets in the room, especially none around the bed/beside tables. I had to plug mine phone into the outlet in the kitchen area. There was an outlet on the lamp that was located on the table/desk, so my boyfriend used that one to plug his phone into.

The bathroom was pretty spacious. The lighting in there was decent for putting make-up on. The hairdryer was small, but it got the job done. If you like power in your hairdryer, I'd suggest bringing your own. We had an issue with the plug in the shower that changes the water from the spout to the shower head. It was super hard to lift it. I hurt my fingers trying to pull up on it to change it to the shower, so when it finally lifted, we left it up our entire stay, so that we didn't have to deal with it again.

The rest of the room came with the usual amenities. There was a free breakfast that seemed adequate, however, I couldn't really eat anything on it, as I'm on a gluten free diet, among other dietary issues. I brought my own breakfast. Since there is a kitchen in each unit, you can cook whatever food you'd like if you don't want what they serve.

My boyfriend used the fitness facilities. He said it was nothing special, and the room was small, but it got the job done. He used the eliptical machine. We did not get a chance to use the pool, hot tub, and sauna due to the limited hours it was open. Although the pool did look really small.

The lobby is spacious, and they do offer a cocktail hour only Monday - Thursday, so unfortunately, we did not partake in that.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I'd recommend this place for an extended stay and/or for groups of people, rather than a weekend getaway with your significant other.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
GMHyattSummerfield, General Manager at Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review and response. I can empathize with our property not meeting your specific needs at the time of your stay, but I'm confident that we can be your hotel of choice for alternative needs during your visits to the Schaumburg area. With a great location, several room options and multiple amenities (breakfast, evening social, etc;), we may not be your first choice for a romantic weekend, but how about other recreational plans?

We would look forward to servicing you again and thank you for reviewing our hotel.

Regards,

Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The rooms are a little on the small size, especially compared to other Hyatt House suites, but still comfortable. The hotel only has queen beds (i.e., no rooms have 2 beds in them). It has an indoor pool, hot tub and small gym. The rate does include breakfast, but I really wouldn't categorize it as a true full breakfast. Breakfast is about average (the eggs aren't that great - it appears they are made from powder).

The hotel is very close to a lot of businesses so if you're staying for vacation, there will be more noise Monday-Friday. Each bedroom and the living area has its own air conditioning unit, which can be loud, especially when they turn on.

We had some trouble with a very noisy air conditioner, and the staff was very friendly and accommodating to move us to a new suite. They gave us a nice personalized letter apologizing for the incident and provided a complimentary bottle of wine for our trouble. Good recovery!

Byron Center, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. Their was enough room for the 5 of us. The TV in the main room did not work, I told them in the morning and they never fixed it. also the down comforter didn't look very clean. So we didn't use it.

• 2 of 5 stars
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel offers minisuites with small kitchenettes, queen beds and flat screen TV's. The rooms are a little on the small size but very clean and comfortable. It has an indoor pool, hot tub and small gym. The rate includes a full breakfeast and happy hour with light snacks.The staff was welcoming and provided excellent service. The location is close to Woodfield mall wilth restaurants in every price point and offers a variety of Shopping. It's close to I355 and I90 so travel is realatively easy if you don't mind paying the tolls. All in all its a nice hotel with a great location that's friendly and moderately priced.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I booked a room at this hotel for 3 nights in September...made the booking in February....they just emailed me and said they were upping the rate by $130 a night...said I could either pay the difference or cancel the reservation. I cancelled. Needless to say, I will never book at a Hyatt again, nor will I encourage my university to do so. I have booked and stayed at a lot of hotels with my business...I have NEVER had this happen. Really shabby treatment!!!!

Stayed February 2012
6 Thank rizjag
Central Islip, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful start to my honeymoon. Room was clean and spacious. Would stay here again. Bed was comfy. Bathroom was also huge.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank KeshaKesh
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on Mar 11, 2012 for one night. The room in general was fine but the toilet flush was not working properly. As we were there for only one night, I just overlooked it. The following day morning, after we used the toilet, the flush stopped working completely and caused overflow. I called the reception and I was told that someone would be there right away. We waited for half an hour and nobody came and I called the reception again. She said she would send one soon and she advised me if we need to use the bathroom, we can use one in the lobby area! We haven't had even taken shower yet and we were to check out and head to Davenport, Iowa for a visit and we were running late. Finally, a housekeeping male staff appeared at the door with a plunger but to my surprise, he wanted to hand in the plunger to my wife!! That means he wanted us to unclog the toilet! I didn't expect that you ask your guests to do that. My wife refused to take it and then he came in and unclogged the toilet but he didn't clean the mesh on the floor. When he was leaving, I asked him if he would dry the floor. Then he went to get the towels to clean the floor! Is that normal that a normal practice at your hotel? I am not sure if he treated us that way because of our color. My friend told me that when he went to eat breakfast, the attendant lady greeted everyone in front of him but ignored him, maybe she thought she doesn't have to greet the people of her own color. When I went to eat breakfast, I found that the silverware and plates were all wet. I had to use the paper towel to dry the plate. No "good morning" and no thanks! What a hospitality!

When we were leaving room, I saw the same housekeeping male staff near the elevator and he was cracking jokes with the female staff and when I looked at him, he blinked one eye at me as if Iwas his coworker. No sense of respect to the guests! This gentleman really needs good training.

So much money has been spent to create the suites and equip with all kitchen utensils but you didn't hire trained people or at least someone who value the customers. I will never go back to this hotel.

I had already paid hotwire but I had used credit card to check in but I found that they again charged some money on my credit card. I had to call them and later they credited that back!

Reception crews were nicer compared to the house keeping and breakfast attendant lady.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Postak_Shrestha
GMHyattSummerfield, General Manager at Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit. I am very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.

There is never an excuse for poor housekeeping, and even more importantly, no excuse for unfriendly staff members. The vast majority of comments we receive regarding the friendliness of our associates are overwhelmingly positive and it is very unusual and disapointing that you would have such an unusually poor experience.

When a member of the hotel's management team is informed, there are very few problems that cannot be resolved. I am very disappointed that these issues were not brought to my attention, as I am sure I could have resolved any problems that you experienced to your complete satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your comments.