“Pretty Nice Despite Renovation”

Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Chicago, Illinois
“Pretty Nice Despite Renovation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2008

This hotel was under major renovation when I was there at the end of September 2008. It seems like it will be beautiful when it's done. I booked it using hotwire and only paid $64 a night, so I really shouldn't complain at all.

They are totally remodeling all the rooms to make them look very modern and upscale, and they are pretty cool. All the furniture is very contemporary and the bed is extremely comfortable! The bathroom is very upscale and modern also. Be aware that there is no tub in the bathroom, just a shower (if you have little kids this could be a problem). There is a great workout room with brand new LifeFitness treadmills and ellipticals that have TV's built in to the console (love that!). There is also a small pool.

The only things I didn't like were related to the renovation. Itwas hard to tell where to go and they need some signs or staff directing people--when I got there I was wandering around and the check-in desk that looked more like a makeshift card table. Also, on the 3rd floor where I stayed, the little "lobby" right off the elevator had a huge hole in the wall with wires hanging out of it where an A/C unit should be. There was also a hallway under construction, and one of the doors was left open to a room that was being worked on, and there was a bunch of unsafe construction equipment in there. That could be a safety problem for little kids.

When they are done with the renovations, it should be awesome! I would recommend it if you don't mind a hotel that is under renovation/construction. I have to say that I didn't hear any construction noise.

• Liked — Great location, workout room, and overall upscale quality
  • Disliked — The mess due to renovations and lack of signs/staff to help
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boerne, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2008

This Hyatt is nice regardless of the construction going on around you. I stayed 5 nights at this location and would stay here again if returning to the area. There are only 5 floors. The hotel does have an atrium lobby that is nicely decorated, and an exercise facility that has more cardio equipment than weights. There were 3 health clubs within 5 minutes.

I was a part of about 100 people staying at this location for a meeting. We spent a lot of time within these walls. One thing was consistent and that is the beds are very comfortable. My room had a flat screen television and free wireless is offered. The shower and accessories provided were fantastic!

There has been has some criticism of this property in regard to the construction. My floor was mostly finished and I heard no noises that I would consider disturbing. It appears the work is strategic to certain hallways and kept excluded. However, if your room was close to one of those halls, it could be a problem.

There is bellman and a complimentary shuttle service to area shopping and restaurants. All employees are very nice and professional. Some in our group felt the food offered on our buffet breakfast and lunches was mediocre. I did not take advantage of room service or the restaurant. There were too many wonderful eating options around the property. The entry to the Hyatt is directly across the street from the entry to the mall.

• Liked — Comfortable beds and location to shopping and restaurants.
  • Disliked — Exercise room too small.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

Stayed here for a business conference. The hotel is under renovation. It is an old hotel but the renovated rooms were spacious and nice. The decor was modern and nice. The beds were comfortable. Nice flat screen TVs.

The staff was excellent! In a prime location for shopping and restaurants. I am sure once all renovations are complete, this will be a great place to be.

Oh the only thing is they have European style showers and there wasn't a complete door on the shower. I got used to it though!

Oh! the other amenity I liked was that they had a clock radio that you could play and charge your iPod. The food was decent especially for hotel food.

Stayed September 2008
Alderson, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

I just returned from the Chicago area from a family reunion and this was one of worst four star accommodations I have stayed. When our family arrived, there were room windows that looked out into the lobby that were covered with paper. When we arrived to the room, the room is extremely small. I will say it was very contemporary, though. However, there is only one trash and one chair in the entire room. The beds are supposed to be queen size, but more resemble a full size bed. The hotel is renovating, however, the only sign that makes you aware of this is located in the parking lot on the side of the building (somewhere you would not think to look). There are NO working ice machines on any floor. Instead, they the ice machines are sitting in the hallway covered and unplugged. The only way to get ice is to call the front desk and wait! There is construction in progress on every floor. Ceilings are exposed and work lights were hanging from the ceilings. Did I mention you are awakened around 7am to drilling and banging and such? Hyatt should be ashamed to call this an upscale hotel. The best thing is the fact that the Woodfield Mall is across the street. Before booking, ensure the renovations have been complete. Perhaps you will have better luck!

• Liked — The Woodfield Mall is across the street
  • Disliked — Travelers were not notified of the extensive renovations
  • Stayed August 2008
chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel for a girls shopping weekend three times now.We love the fact that it has an outdoor pool(rare in the chicago suburbs), and is very close to the mall. I was very dissappointed this weekend though. The noise factor was unbeleivable. There were three weddings that nght and our room was the first door off the exit from the banquet rooms.At midnight when everyone departed they mingled in the hallway outside our room ,and outside the exit door for a long time.They were not just talking ,they were literally screaming.After they finally departed we heard a vacuum cleaner running right outside our door.It was 12:30am. we then woke up,or should i say woken up to the beeping of construction vehicles in the lobby hallway.This lasted all morning from 8am on.There were no ice machines so we had to call room service everytime we needed ice,although they were there quickly.on a happy note,it was quite clean and newly remodeled in our room.They staff was friendly ,and the front desk was apolagetic when i complained about the issues.I originally called to see if we could get late check out and to let them be aware of the problems we encountered.At first we were denided late checkout,but they did call back and say we could stay later due to all the problems we had.They should have never booked the few rooms neer the banquet rooms,and when we were leaving it looked like the construction noise was a wall being built to block the noise,but i could be wrong.Get a room far from the construction and you should be fine.

• Liked — outdoor pool
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2008

Even though they are remodeling the rooms, you couldn't even hear a thing. We just stayed one night but it was a good one. The front desk employees are very nice and helpful. The restuarant there has very good food. The rooms was very nice and clean. The bathroom could be updated but I am sure it's on their to do list. Overall I would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2008

I traveled to Schaumburg to visit a client; I have never been to Schaumburg before. I am loyal Hyatt traveler and stay at Hyatt’s when I can. The hotel appears to have a Frank Lloyd Wright design. It is currently under renovation. I did not realize this until I was checking out. I was asked if the renovations had caused me inconvenience; I said no and ask where they were renovating? They are renovating one quadrant of the hotel on all floors. They have closed off that area on each floor. I would not have known if I had not been told. No dust, no mess, no noise!

Congratulations! I have stayed at many hotels under renovation and was very aware of the dust and noise. You are doing a great job. See you in two weeks.

Oh yes, there is a great mall across the street (Woodfield Mall) and the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle.

• Liked — Location near mall
  • Disliked — Need updating but is in progress
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business