“Very Quaint Hotel....Pleasant Stay”

Days Inn & Suites Schaumburg
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Schaumburg
Benton Harbor, Michigan
“Very Quaint Hotel....Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I became aquainted with this hotel when I booked through Hotwire. I travelled from SW Michigan with my two children (10 & 6) for a final get-away before school began again. I must admit, I was quite skeptical, but when we arrived and checked in, in was PLEASANTLY surprised! Although the room was smaller than expected, it was a comfortable, cozy stay. I loved the fact that we were right by the highway, up the street from Target and Woodfield Mall, directly across the street from the Lowes Theatre, LegoLand and Game Works (we actually walked). My kids enjoyed the pool daily. Another plus was Denny's and Wendy's were situated on either side of the hotel. The stay was very nice and the staff helpful. The only things I suggest is a REAL waffle maker rather the toaster waffles, need to add cranberry juice as a juice option, the microwave and fridge should be standard and not any extra $, update the rooms just a bit (my curtain had brown marks on them) and should have an indoor pool.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LdySeats

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The sink had an extremely slow drain which made being there 2 nights very frustrating. Also the toilet seat was crooked.

• Stayed August 2011
Indiana
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We felt this was a good deal for the area. Breakfast, Pool, Fitness Center & proximity to Interstates were why we chose this hotel. Breakfast was decent & well stocked and beds were comfy. The things we did not like were that the air conditioners did not work well, too many loud drunks in the hallway at night, and needing to call for pool towels at the pool. Overall I think we would stay again though.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Kansas
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We have stayed twice in this hotel in the last year. Rooms are very clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is pretty good, but with they had a waffle maker instead of frozen waffles.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank digetydog2004
Southport, North Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2011

clean and convenient to interstates, airport and Woodfield Mall. good rate on hotwire also.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank rickloehr
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 18, 2011

True this is not a 4-5 star hotel. The walk in was smelly and the carpet in the hallways is stained and dirty. HOWEVER, the staff is amazing! They Responded to my needs BETTER than some 4-5 Star Staffers. I can only share my experience. Based on the response to my needs.. from Staffer like Kayla, Laura and one other young lady whose name I did not get were amazing. The Breakfast was healthy and refreshing.
Great stay for the price. With so many businesses closing; it is nice to see this small franchise put the money where it mattered ....in the rooms. If a hotel has to choose where to spend the money; the guest rooms should be it. This hotel has done that.
Thank you La Quinta for 5 days of peace.
Dr. W. F. Wilson

Room Tip: A frige and Microwave would be nice
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank homesaviors
Detroit, MI
Reviewed May 23, 2011

A friend and I traveled from Michigan to Chicago for the weekend. We debated about staying in the city, but since we were driving and had a car to park, we decided against it because we didn't want to pay $50/night for parking. After doing some searching online, we happened upon this hotel. I was hesitant to book this hotel because it was so inexpensive; I figured there had to be something wrong with it! But after reading many of the reviews on here we gave it a shot.

We were very pleasantly surprised at how nice this hotel was! The rooms were very clean and recently updated, including the bed linens. The complimentary breakfast wasn't just a muffin and coffee; there was a nice selection of breakfast items offered.

The hotel is right next to a large shopping area and mall, which made it very convenient to find someplace to eat lunch and dinner. In addition, parking is free at the hotel, so with the low price of the hotel room, we were able to stay in Chicago for an extra night! My friend and I kept saying, "I can't believe how nice this room is for how inexpensive it is!"

The hotel is also only a short drive from the nearest Metro station. We drove to the Metro station, but the hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle service to the station. A round-trip Metro pass into the city cost us $7 for the whole weekend.

My only complaint about our room was the bathroom fell short of our expectations. First, the showerhead was ridiculously low. I am 5'9" tall and had to crouch to get my hair wet. My traveling companion is only 5'3" and she even felt the showerhead was low. In addition, the toilet and shower are separated from the sink area; the toilet/shower room is very tiny. To shut the bathroom door, you have to move behind the door and then shut it. A little more space would have been nice. If these two concerns about the bathroom were addressed, I would have had zero complaints about this hotel.

GREAT value for a very nice hotel room! I would definitely stay here again and will recommend it to people traveling to the Chicago area. This was the first time I ever stayed at a La Quinta, and I will definitely consider it in other cities as well in the future!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends