“A Fun Experience”

LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago
Ranked #1 of 10 Fun & Games in Schaumburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visit LEGOLAND Discovery Center and it's like you have just jumped into the world's biggest box of LEGO bricks! This indoor attraction offers 30,000 square feet of LEGO fun including two rides, a 4D movie theater, a build and test zone where kids can build their own LEGO creations, Miniland - the Chicago skyline built from 1 million LEGO bricks, a soft play area, LEGO Pirate Adventure Island, LEGO Factory Tour, Model Builder Workshop, LEGO Shop and Cafe.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We visited in early February. We have a 5 & 7 year old and they enjoyed it. Even with the ride being temporarily down, we still were able to have fun. Because of the ride being closed, we received free tickets to come back when the ride is open. We enjoyed the 4-D movie, Build and Test and the displays. If you have a coupon for buy one /get a child's admission free, I think it is a fun experience. I am pretty certain they are running this offer to anyone with a Jewel preferred card now. I also found coupons by searching the internet. If you don't take advantage of the get one free offer, it is overpriced.

3  Thank JEM05
Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed February 17, 2009

I had issues too but I will try to be as diplmatic as I can about this place...Problems, Yes...the dragon ride was down, (we did get a voucher to come back by 03/31/09 for free though). The lego factory was a waste of time, (small and disorganized). The build and test center did not have enough wheels! People were stealing wheels from each other. My sons test car was snatched away from me as soon as I looked away. Even adults were taking the kid's cars for the wheels. The 4-D movie was awesome. The jungle Safari was good, my son liked the quiz as you go. The master builder area made no sense, it was behind the cafe and not all what I expected. My son had fun, I had the issues. It was pricey for what you got, but I didn't have a feeling that I was completely ripped off either because my son did enjoy himself. I will say this, I was more disappointed with the overall rudeness of the people of Chicago than anything else. (I'm not from Illinois). Oh, and it wasn't filthy on the day I was there as I read in a previous review.

1  Thank VSBren
Reviewed February 17, 2009

First let me say the Factory area is a joke.....it is a small room that lets in about 50 people.....and you stand in this awkard setup. The factory is like 4 displays that you cannot see because there are adults mixed in with children. My son was frustrated because he couldn't see over the adults. There was 2 ladies in there with strollers. I would suggest they either take kids in only or enforce the adults to stand in the back and ALL children come to the front.
The 4d movie was great and awesome, The onlything there that was....
The Build and Test was chaotic and every kid wanted to build a car and there was like 20 tires.......kids were getting their cars and tires stolen after they worked on them.....my son and my friend's son get theirs stolen too at the bottom of the test track.
OH OH!!! and the dragon ride was broken down and was going to be for 2 more weeks....why was this not mentioned on the website?????
The Master builder class is hidden behind the cafeteria and is exactly 4 tables. The pics on the website lead you to believe it is much larger and more interactive.....the master builder was sitting and could not really be seen.
Just awful, we left after 2 hours.
The lego creations are incredible to see but omg the price is hideously too high.

1  Thank Stelicious
Reviewed February 14, 2009

For a family of four we paid over $70.00. Staff was very minimal. We could not understand the cashier. The dragon ride was down. The facility was filthy. The lines were long. People were rude and cut in front of us. After experiencing all of this in the Chicago room, we contiplated in turning around and getting our money back, but decided to give it a try. Big mistake. It was one dissappointment after another. There is not much to do. The displays are okay. They recycle the 4D glasses. Gross!!! The food court choices are limited. The quality of food is horrible and overpriced. I don't know what you get for $70.00. Save your money and just visit the Lego store inside the Mall.

1  Thank pointbreak1
Reviewed January 25, 2009

9 year-old daughter wanted to go, and we used Expedia for one free admission on the way back from Key Lime Cove in Gurnee. Glad we didn't make the drive to Legoland just to go there, but rather combined it with something else. Overcrowded on a school holiday, crowds were, well, crowding the kids. Yes, you can build, but we can do the same thing at home with our Legos. Ride was short and not very interesting; 4D movie was a bit more interesting, though the fake language used by the Lego characters was a bit annoying to this grownup. Cafeteria food and Lego store were way overpriced, so bring your own food and drink. If I had paid full price, I would have been livid. Having gone in with a discount and having read the reviews, I was better prepared for the letdown. This is a once-only visit for us, I would never pay again, but my daughter said maybe she would.

1  Thank EMASMOM