“Made welcome...”
Review of England's Rose

England's Rose
Ranked #1 of 1 Postcombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Very warm welcome, cosy room and reasonably priced at £65 per night. Peaceful sleep. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 18, 2012

Mixed thoughts. Beds were lovely with nice thick duvets and blankets. Just as well as room got a little chilly at night when heating went off. Milk in cartons in room was well out of date. Bath mat had suffered bleach damage and needed replacing. Evening meal was average only. Breakfast was large and fine. Good selection of board games and staff keen to please. Quite pricey for what it was.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The bar staff were very cheery and helpful.

Our room, priced at £78 B & B, was in the 'house annexe' and was disappointing. The shower room (no bath) was new but the bedroom itself was tiny and with a dismal view over the garden. The bed needs replacing. The room we were allocated was not to the standard of the others indicated on the website photos.

The breakfast was good and very well cooked.

Room Tip: Avoid the double room in the 'house annexe' (at the top of the stairs on the right).
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2011

How do places like this survive?Only because people book it not knowing what it is really like,that's what TA is here for.Don't stay here,you will,unless you have very low standards,not enjoy yourself and feel rightly ripped off as well.The food is really dire and the rooms are not much better.The Bulgarian barmaid,bless her,is loverly and must think the Brits are a bunch of idiots for staying there.Also if you are camping,at a salty £8 a night they then want to charge you £2.50 for a shower.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MrSmall
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I stayed at the England's Rose for one night recently, needing to be within a few miles of my meeting the next day. The friendly phone booking was followed by a warm and friendly greeting from Bob, who showed me to the room and explained all I needed to know such as the wifi code, what food was on offer and breakfast times etc..

I spent most of the evening working from a table in the bar/restaurant area, using my laptop with the free wifi, and the evening was very productive. I had a couple of pints, and a great meal of liver and bacon that was really nice. The liver was so perfectly cooked, and can often be horrid but Bob told me it was fresh in from the butchers that day.

The atmosphere in the bar was nice, at no time did I feel a stranger. Although there are not any settees or armchairs the seats are comfortable to sit at for a few hours - it just isn't a settee kind of place - it would ruin the charactor.

The room was nice, the bed was comfortable and apart from a 3 minute cock crowing at 2am was a very peaceful nights sleep. Yes I was near the road, and had left the window open so could hear cars passing but this didn't bother me. The day I stayed the TV changeover from analogue to digital has arrived, and I worried that I wouldn't get a picture but the digibox had been perfectly tuned to the new service. The tv was a bit high up on the wall to watch from the bed but this is a minor thing, and they are in the process of changing all the tVs to flat screens anyway, so this will be better.

Breakfast was served pretty well whenever I wanted it, and was pretty well whatever I wanted! I was greeted warmly by the Sheila in the morning, and she said I could sit where I liked for breakfast. I had scrambled eggs on toast, and tea which was just as I wanted it. Checkout was easy and efficient.

The welcoming friendly service was great, and I would recommend this hotel for people who need to stay in the area. It is not the Ritz, but it does not pretend to be. It is a pub with rooms, and the pub is a fairly basic honest country pub that caters for what you want in a willing and helpful way. By an unfortunate layout of the building the cooking smells from the kitchen can be smelt in the public areas, but short of moving the kitchen I don't know what could be done short of moving the kitchen! However, the smell of breakfast cooking wafting along the first floor corridor wakes you up makes your mouth water!

If you want a really friendly honest B&B / pub to stay this is it, if you are precious about staying in hotels then go pay more at a Travelodge. I really liked the personal touch offered by the hosts. Other people have moaned about a £1 charge for using cards, well it is not a fortune is it? Come on!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SimonKent_UK
Reviewed September 17, 2011

If we hadn't already given a credit card to guarantee the booking we would have walked out the moment we entered the bar aka reception. The pub lacks any warmth of welcome and the menu 'home cooked foods' made our hearts sink further. I might have cooked a lemon and blacker pepper quorn fillet and chips at home once or twice but in my life but that isn't what we had pictured as home cooked at the end of a long journey. To be fair there were other options, macaroni cheese, egg and chips.... Thankfully a short drive to Thame found us in a wonderful restaurant. We didn't bother to go in for breakfast so it may have been amazing but given the smell and the uncomfortable seats in the bar it seemed unlikely.

The rooms were clean but over priced. The whole place is in dire need of TLC and now that we've seen the area there are definitely nicer, better priced options. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: My only tip is choose a different place to stay
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank dancinglight
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The service was excellentl. One member of my party had foods that he needed to avoid and all we had to do was let the cooker know & he made alterations to his meal.
The rooms were comfortable and clean.
When we go back to the Oxford to visit friends again we will definately book again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Been to England's Rose? Share your experiences!