“Clean and decent for 2 star”
Review of Super 8 Salem

Super 8 Salem
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I don't usually stay in a 2 star hotel so I was very glad for the reviews on Trip Advisor and is how I ended up chosing Super 8. Was in the area to visit Kaskaskia College for 2 nights, but the hotels in Centrilia seemed a bit dicey from the reviews. Since we were driving in from Ohio wanted something along our way and Salem seemed to fit. Super 8 had the best reviews and I was able to get a AAA discount so gave them a try.

It is a 2 star hotel so you can't expect much. Made reservation online but needed to change it and Joyce was very helpful and courteous. Check in went smoothly upon arrival. Very small lobby with 3-4 table and where they serve continental breakfast. Did not have breakfast there but saw it and it was tidy and very basic, doughnuts, toast, fruit, waffles, juice, coffee. Might have had cereal can't remember.

We had room 203 and it could use an update. Beds were a bit old but bedding was clean. Did not see any bugs and room smelled okay. Bathroom small and clean, older tile. Provide hair dryer, soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion. Towels are small and a bit rough. TV had many channels + HBO.

Only problem we had was the toilet did not flush well and I figured before the weekend was up we would have a problem. Sure on our 2nd night it got stuck and there is no evening maintenance. The front desk could not find a plunger so he moved us across the hall to 204. Room was the same except it had new pillow top mattresses and new tile in the bathroom. The heater's thermostat did not work so it did not come on an off like the one in 203 did. That was annoying, I had to just shut it off after we got the room warmed up. It didn't cool off that much overnight so it wasnt' too bad.

There is no smoking in the hotel and everyone seems to honor that. The hallway on Friday night got very stinky and dirty but they did clean it up on Saturday. I did not notice that much noise from other guests, not more than you would expect in a hotel.

There is an Applebee right beside the hotel so we ate there Friday night. There is a Denny's 2 building down on the otherside. We did not go there but tried a local place called the The Garden View for breakfast and it was very good and good prices. The front desk suggested it.
There is a Walmart 2 blocks west of the hotel and all your fastfood resturants just east of the hotel. Everything is convenient and the hotel is right of off I57 exit 116 so that is convenient too.

If I am ever in the area I would stay here again, I just hope I'm never in the area again. There is nothing there but farms and more farms. There is a movie theater and bowling alley in Centrilia and a nice lake in the area with a "swimming beach" we were told. Did not visit any of these. We heard there is a decent Italian resturant but can't remember the name.

Room Tip: Ask for 204, avoid 203.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Using a coupon from the free hotel magazine you find at interstate rest areas I was able to stay at this Super 8 for $48.00. It is in the process of an exterior upgrade. Normally I would have stayed at the nearby Comfort Suites but the reviews we not so good and the Guest House Inn looked plenty tired.
The beds at the Super 8, at least room 113, were fairly new pillow tops, comfy. The room was clean and included a small fridge and microwave. For the price, a real good deal.

Room Tip: Parking lot surrounds the rooms, not much to look at.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This is the nicest Super 8 that i have ever stayed at.. The hotel staff was very helpful.
and friendly. The rooms were exceptional. I definite recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2010

This is a basic roadside motel and offers cheap, convenient and clean accommodations next to Highway 57 at Route 50 in Salem. We had a family get together to attend at the Applebees next door and decided to stay here based on the recommendations from prior Tripadvisor reviewers - they were very accurate. In our case, we reserved two King Size bed rooms for an overnight and they had the reservation and assigned the rooms to us fast and efficiently. The room air conditioner made the sound you would expect from a window unit, but it did the job well and everything in the room worked. They have a rather extensive cable TV selection included with the room even thought he TV was the normal box-like TV you have expected for years, but it delivered a quality picture and everything that was in the room worked. I consider it a reasonable value in line with what one would expect in the location. While I found the breakfast selection limited, I think most travelers would find the free breakfast fine and would not have any issues - after all, it is free and I think the motel does well for what they do for what they charge. The most important consideration for me was a good clean bed and they provided that along with ample hot water in the shower in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChicagoLooper
Reviewed June 13, 2010

We stayed about one week ago, and we got really good value. We had a coupon which was accepted even though it was a Friday. We just had to add 5$ to the price, so we paid around 60$ with the taxes. The check in was super friendly. The high speed Internet was very good. The room was very comfortable and clean. There was a rocky armchair in the room and I really liked it. Applebee's and Denny's are at walking distance.

On the other hand, the receptionist working in the evening was very grumpy, super unfriendly. As they advertised they had copy service, I called the reception from my room and I asked if it was possible to make 20 copies and how much it would be. She said that I just had to come to the reception. When I came to her with the book I had to make copies of, she looked very grumpy and irritated like it was a huge disturbance and frustration to her. If she was too busy for that (though there was nobody else there), she just had to tell me that she would do it later or that she simply could not do so many copies. As customers arrived, I think she got stressed out because I noticed later that half of my copies were not done and the last were not well done. She should have told me to come back later instead of being so rude to me. I think it is just such a shame for this hotel to have so friendly service-oriented staff during the day while the evening receptionist can ruin that.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2010

In the last year my colleagues and I have stayed at this hotel a number of times. It is a no frills place, but it is quiet, clean and convenient to where we were working. The staff is friendly and welcome us back each time. Its one of those simple places with the tiny bar of soap and the towels that are a bit too small. But the rooms have all the usual amenities plus a mini-fridge and a microwave. They provide free wireless internet. And the usual convenience breakfast foods are included in the price. The Applebees is right next door. It works well for us as an inexpensive place to rest at the end of a long day.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MsBizTravel
Reviewed March 20, 2010

The staff was very hospitable in making our reservations and when we showed up.

They made a big point to tell us that there would be an extra charge if we smoked in the room - as we had a non-smoking room. This turned out to be funny, because as we walked to our room - the smell of smoke was very strong in the hallway. As we smelled this, I was ready to leave - because I wasn't going to be able to sleep with the smell. However, once in our room the smell was not there.

We got in late, and left early.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Days Inn Salem
#7 of 14 in Mount Vernon
Motel 6 Mount Vernon
Motel 6 Mount Vernon
#9 of 14 in Mount Vernon

Been to Super 8 Salem? Share your experiences!