“Dirty and VERY overpriced.”
Review of Hotel Baker

Hotel Baker
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Saint Charles
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Our room was disgusting, I don't even know where to begin. We purchased a suite and the first thing we noticed was that it smelled musty upon entering. We walked into our sitting room and there was a T.V. from probably 1992, with NO REMOTE. There was a couch and a chair, and the arm rests on both we dirty, like people wiped their hand on them and no one ever cleaned it off.

The next thing we did was walk into the bedroom to discover the MOST uncomfortable, and VERY OLD king sized mattress I've ever seen. The mattress squeaked and you sank WAY down into it because it was so old and saggy. When sitting on the old saggy bed I looked at the wall and saw HUGE scuff marks of black in three different places, I think it must've been ten years since they last painted and 20 since they've bought new curtains.

I walked into the "spa" bathroom and it was no better than the rest. The wall paper was peeling off all over the place and the "spa" tub was a one person tub with no back or feet jets, only jets on the sides of the tub.

It was so bad that we ended up leaving after just one night, we had no idea where we were going, but we knew we wouldn't spend 200.00 a night to stay in this dirty old place again. Some historical hotels are gorgeous and worth the money, but this one was not at all. In this hotel they lean on the word historical so that they don't have to renovate or make an effort.

I wouldn't reccomend this hotel to anyone. Ever.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank karnske
There are newer reviews for Hotel Baker

Reviewed April 29, 2009

I have stayed at the Hotel Baker perhaps 50 nights over the past year and found it to be the best value for the money in the area. I previously stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn which is your typical box motel without character. Then I tried the Herrington Inn in Geneva and found it to be nice but overpriced and of lower value. The Hotel Baker does lack parking on the property and in the winter or during rain that makes the walk from on street parking or the nearby municipal (free parking) more of a hassle. None the less, the staff are outstanding and they work very hard to ensure that guests are treated to a high level of service. The lounge is very comfortable for an after work drink of dinner.

For anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay, which is quiet and offers the services which are important to frequent travelers, the Hotel baker is the place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2008

My fiance and I booked this hotel for our wedding in June 2001. We put nearly $3000 down as a deposit. In January, I brought my mom to the hotel to show it to her and there was a sign saying it was closed. Come to find out, they had closed and declared bankruptcy. No one ever called me to tell me. We were devastated and out $3000 bucks. I believe they took our money knowing that the hotel was "in trouble". I never got an apology or money back nothing. Still upsets me when I think about it.

• Stayed: July 2003, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bonita19
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Lovely old hotel in downtown St. Charles was unnecessary for this type of trip. Just a few minutes down the road were lots of lower priced motels. The king size bed was fairly soft and I felt like I was rolling into the middle. There was a yellow stain on the inside of the bedspread. Clean , large room; no fridge for leftovers but front desk was accommodating and put it in their fridge. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby but for that amount of money (Memorial Day weekend) there was no reason to stay in the downtown area. Let's have real orange juice at breakfast, not orange drink. For that amount of money I would have liked brewed decaf coffee, not instant.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sussa
Reviewed March 29, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here for one night on a shopping trip.
We did not pay for a river view room but still had a nice view of the river, which was a nice surprise. The staff was very helpful and polite. We loved the atomosphere and did not feel that it was overpriced. The room was sufficiently large and the bath was sufficient athough small. Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2007

Stayed here for our wedding night. It was not worth the price - I've stayed at lower priced hotels that were much more enjoyable. We chose it because of the view of the river, and because it is historical. Big mistake, we should have goen with its competitor the Herrington (also on the river). The walls were paper-thin and we could hear everything in the next room. The hotel staff made no attempt to treat us specially for our wedding night, even though I let them know in advance, and we walked in wearing our gown/tux.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank u2chick
Reviewed January 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Baker for a weekend get-away to celebrate our first anniversary.

The hotel had a great river front location (see photo). The customer service was great. The rooms were not as nice as I expected for the price, but we did enjoy the hot tub on the private balcony. We booked a package that included parking, chocolate covered strawberries delivered to the room and "breakfast in bed" (a $20 voucher good towards room service). The valet parking was a great convenience; the chocolate covered strawberries were wonderful, however, the $20 voucher for “breakfast in bed“ was not enough and we had to pay extra.

The second morning we were there, we had the complimentary breakfast and found that to be very nice and perfectly satisfying.

We ate lunch and dinner at places near-by and spent time walking through the shops in downtown St. Charles, which we enjoyed.

Overall, we were happy with our get-away and enjoyed the location of Hotel Baker but found it to be a little pricey.. not the best value, but nice.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
#5 of 11 in Saint Charles
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Charles

Been to Hotel Baker? Share your experiences!