“Simply amazing, I really love this place”
Review of Hotel Baker

Hotel Baker
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Saint Charles
Reviewed June 23, 2013

So my wife and I have been to a lot of hotels and resorts but it was our anniversary and I work a lot so trying to find something last minute while not having to travel far I came across a wonderful person her name is jennifer She said to try out her hotel I was like ok didn't really think anything about it arrived there about 7 pm I walked in and I was totally shocked it was one of the most beautiful hotels yeah it might be a older hotel but the inside of it is way above par the cleanest of clean the front desk workers where the most polite and professional you will ever encounter so we get our room which was the baker suite I highly recommend this room the room was huge clean and just great views plus riverfest was going on so our room over looked that it was amazing and thanks to Jennifer and her wonderful staff this was our best anniversary ever thanks so much for a memorable experience

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Was here for a work trip in mid June. I have to say that this was by far the worst hotel that I have been at for a conference in my career. The rooms were very outdated, and so loud... the doors weigh about 50 lbs and you have to slam them to get them to shut. The food was inedible... even breakfast and not sure how that is possible.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank lwcolumbus
HBRepresentative, Manager at Hotel Baker, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

We are sorry about your disappointment. Our hotel guest rooms and suites have been updated in the past year or so by a reputable fabricator who deals with high end hotel chains. We have completed all the rooms and currently updating the penthouse to date. The doors going into the guest rooms are from 1928. They are servidors used back in the 1928 and on. They may be heavy but have a historic nature and must stay at the hotel. I do not believe one needs to slam the doors shut - noted a young boy closing it without any problems. Should the food be inedible, please consider bringing it up to the server or manager. That can be remedied should you voice your disappointment. Our breakfast display has received good reviews - fresh pastries, fresh fruit display, cereals, juices, scrambled eggs and superb tasting coffee. Breakfast is a great start of the day and we try to make sure the guests are accommodated as needed. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to our small abode very soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at the hotel June 1st, first walked in loved the look, the room was ok. The bed was nothing special. Took a hot bath turned on the jets and out came black mold in the bath. When we were leaving told the the staff at the desk and she was young and said oh, sorry. For the money not worth the stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank j c

We are sorry about your experience. We do not have a mold problem at the Hotel Baker. The black color you noted may have been due to hot water residue which homes may experience. Should you have experienced that and immediately called the front desk and summoned a manager, I am certain your concerns would have been remedied - assurance that it's not mold OR a change of room if you desired. Our housekeeping staff would have gladly run your bath and made sure that no black color would be noted. Indeed, we apologize for your disappointment. We hope you can come back and enjoy the Hotel Baker located in the heart of downtown St. Charles. Thank you!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a mid-week overnight bicycle trip where we stayed at the Baker Hotel for one night. The rate was more than I originally wanted to spend but the hotel proved to be the highlight of our trip and well worth the money. Stepping into the lobby of the hotel feels like stepping back to a more elegant era. If you are looking for a thoroughly modern hotel with lots of electronic gadgets in the room this isn't the place for you but if the nostalgia of a a bygone era appeals to you then I would highly recommend this property. The front desk staff were extremely courteous and helpful, both in handling our reservation and when we checked in and out. I really appreciated that they allowed us to bring our bikes up to our room. I was able to enjoy our stay more because I didn't have to worry about our bikes being stolen. My only complaint was that the pillows were a little too big and left me with a sore neck. I'm sure the front desk could have provided other pillows but we were already in bed before I realized it and we only stayed for one night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rick H
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had been to Hotel Baker years ago for work, and hadn't been back until this past week for another company meeting. What a nice surprise! It was so clean and well kept; the food was amazing, and the service was unbelievable. A real gem. The service at our meeting was over the top good. Devin took care of us, letting us know when she was leaving her shift and who would take care of our needs when she was gone. The bartender - Matt - served a mean Cosmo and gave us the best food recommendations - the filet sliders are out of this world. My husband loved the Madagascar Prawn and we split the Lobster Roll. See pictures. I would highly recommend this place. The bed was just right - not too hard nor soft and the pillows varied - so both my husband and I were happy (he likes hard and I like soft). The room was spacious, with a hot strong shower and high quality shower amenities. The only improvement recommendation would be to offer more items at breakfast - perhaps oatmeal, bacon, or english muffins - they only had bread, fruit, cereal, and scambled eggs. Yet, that was a small thing for us, as the fruit selection was good. BTW - the location is right on the river and on Main Street, so you are close to other bars and restaurants if you so choice. We loved McNally's Irish Pub and ZaZa for Italian.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DeRiz
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel does have charm. There is a nice bar and the river view rooms have a nice view. However, the rooms are not really updated. There is a flat screen tv and tile in the bathroom but old carpet and furnishings. Rooms are also quite small. The price tag on the rooms are pretty high too. However, it is a perfect location to walk the downtown of St. Charles and I always wanted to stay here so we tried it!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the river view!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jenrockford

We are sorry you were disapponted and thought our rooms were outdated. We have been undergoing a renovation of guest rooms and suites for the past year or two - done in phases as the property is privately owned. We hope you are able to return and enjoy the guest rooms and suites with updated beddings, drapery, flooring and flat screen televisions. Thank you for your feedback - we look forward to having you visit us again!

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Loved the historic Baker Hotel. It was very cozy and the staff all very friendly and helpful especially Georgeanne. The only issue was the very soft bed that needs a new mattress.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
#5 of 11 in Saint Charles
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Geneva

Been to Hotel Baker? Share your experiences!