“Hidden GEM” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Saint Charles
san diego
“Hidden GEM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed on business trip and was leery about an old hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel has a lot of character but the room I stayed in with river view was very up to date and quiet. The service was fantastic with fresh baked cookies delivered to the room and the price included a large fresh cooked breakfast also delivered to my room, which I could not finish. There were robes in the room and the towels where plush and fluffy. The bed was comfortable and the room temp was easy to maintain to my liking, Very fast free wireless. I will stay again when in the area.

Room Tip: Recommend the river side
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank tedkop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Baker for the first time. The room was clean but nothing special... probably will not return. The location is good with restaurants and bars within close walking distance. I will say the bed was very comfortable and really nothing to complain about for the price we paid.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danh515
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Baker on New Year's Eve.

Prior to our stay we called three times to get more information. Twice we spoke with individuals who couldn't answer questions like "do you have any rooms available" and "what is included in the package that you are promoting on line." Once they had to call us back, and another time he simply said he didn't know. Then, asked if I needed anything else. Odd.The third time we called, we spoke with Jacqueline who seemed far more knowledgeable. But, to be fair, the bar was pretty low.

When we arrived, (there were two couples) our husbands went to grab a six-pack of micro brews so that they could relax while we got ready. The two of us opened a bottle of champagne to enjoy while we prepped. When the two men returned, they told us that they had been greeted by a doorman (we could have used him on our way in with all of our luggage) and some other staff. Everyone was pleasant to them as they walked through the lobby with the six-pack (no bag).

But then we got a knock on our room door. The manager came to confiscate the beer they had brought up. We found this extremely odd. The staff throughout the lobby could have easily informed them that they couldn't take any beer into the room, but they didn't. Instead, they reported what they saw to the manager--making an issue. To add insult to injury, the manager brought up the paperwork that we'd signed when we checked in. To illustrate to our husbands that they were breaking the rules. I was the person that signed it, and frankly I did not read every line - I should probably be put in jail.

It was really, really uncomfortable and the experience took us back at least 15 years. We are not typically rule-breakers. We weren't at all disruptive. We simply were unaware of the rule. There was no need to make such a big deal.

About the hotel: The location does not have ideal parking, I saw that in another post - it's accurate. The service is hit or miss. We had a doorman every 3rd time we went outside and I mentioned the wealth of knowledge you run into at the front desk. The rooms are quaint, but there are far too many great hotels out there to go to one that has such poor management and service.

Seriously, keep looking.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank cathy k

Travelers are raving about these Saint Charles hotels

Andalusia, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

Nice place and close to downtown and the fox river. The hotel is old but nice and very comfortable. I would stay again. Price is good and looked like the food and bar areas are nice. This area would be a romantic area for a couples get away. Arcada Theatre right across the river and is a good place for entertainment.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

I'm currently here at Hotel Baker and completely disappointed. Apparently there was a wedding & reception scheduled tonight...and the hotel staff stuck us on the 2nd floor where we can hear the DJ to the point we could sing the songs!!! We had to sign a "no party" contract saying we'll be quiet, but we have to listen to this until midnight!!
The bathroom is tiny with a super tiny tub. The remotes for the tv will only let you change the channel but won't turn the tv on or off.
I was really hoping to find a "place" that was ours - me & my boyfriends. A place that neither one of us had ever been to, but one we would fall in love with. Hotel Baker is definitely NOT going to be it!!!!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank verykind77
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

I was in a wedding at Hotel Baker this fall and the service was horrific. Not only were the staff unprofessional but also inconsiderate. This example was the final straw in a long line of unprofessional and inconsiderate behavior on the part of the staff at Hotel Baker: As a bridesmaid we were told that we could keep up bags in a conference room during the wedding(which we sat in for 3 hours before the wedding began), after the ceremony, during the time when the bridesmaids should be taking pictures,the wedding coordinator told us that we needed to move all our stuff. In response to my question of "where should we put it all?" was the answer "I don't know but it needs to be out of that room." I went and complained to the manager who also was difficult to work with because of her lack of knowledge on the wedding. Worst wedding experience of my life! I would never recommend anyone to have their special day at a place where they obvioulsy don't care about their customers.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JN16
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

I had my wedding at the Hotel Baker on 10-10-10 which is quite a busy weekend for St. Charles since that was the weekend of Scarecrow Festival. But the hotel was super accomodating for as busy as they were. They helped especially with unloading of our older guest in front of the hotel and the parking was only down the street and was not a huge inconvienence at all. Our wedding was wonderful every detail was absoulutely perfect...our wedding planner which I got two weeks before our wedding since my original planner had resigned made sure that eveything was perfect from the table decor to the dinner. I have only rave reviews....I have had many of our guests tell us that is was the best wedding that they have even been to. If you are planning a wedding ....have it here you will not regret it and the Rainbow Room is just fantastic.
We recently celebrated our 1st Anniversary and have had our 1 year old cake and it was still fabulous. I think I am one of the only couple's that I know that enjoyed their cake a year later. We also went back to the hotel to celebrate our anniversary....and it was wonderful!! My husband and I plan to go back every year to celebrate our anniversary. The staff the was part of our wedding was absolutely fabulous and we cannot thank enough for the memories that I will have for a lifetime.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
#5 of 11 in Saint Charles
Hotel Arista at CityGate Centre

Been to Hotel Baker? Share your experiences!