“Average with good pillows.”

Super 8 St. Charles
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Saint Charles
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Not really much bad or good, just average. Still, the pillows were great. Most hotels have thin, flimsy pillows that don't support and aren't comfortable. When traveling most don't think of pillows - but they are essential for sleeping.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 28, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I read the not-so-good reviews before I booked my room but I didn't have any options. I was travelling with my dog and I needed to stay close to my family. This hotel was the only place to stay near that allowed pets. I booked Online. There wasn't any way to inform the hotel Online about my dog ahead of time. It was upon arrival that I was to inform the hotel of this and pay the additional fee at that time. When I arrived I told the desk clerk about my dog and offered him my credit card to pay the pet fee. He told me that it was "inconvenient" for him to accept it and he preferred cash. Being a longtime solo female traveller and cautious about personal safety, I did not want to create any problems WITH him, so I just gave him the cash that he requested. I assumed him to be the owner of the hotel. He did not give me a receipt and I did not ask for one. I know I should have asked but I "knew" better than to bother him about it. I knew I would check on it upon check-out. Sure enough, when I was checking out I found out that he had charged the pet fee to my room. When I insisted on a written receipt from the other desk clerk before I would leave, the clerk became argumentative and combative and insulting to me instead of apologetic and solicitous.

Aside from this, the room was extremely dirty. Coffee stains on the bedside table. "Mysterious" stains on the mirrors. Dirt and grime and dust everywhere. TV remote wouldn't work no matter what I did and the desk clerk's would not assist. I was finally given an instruction booklet and told to make sure to bring it back when I was done. I was struggling with my dog and belongings when checking-in and the desk clerk couldn't be bothered to inform me that there was a rolling hotel cart in the stairwell just a few yards away. That would have been a HUGE help to me. The clerk just went back to his TV and put his feet up after he checked me in and took my cash.

Finally, the security of this hotel, especially for women travellers, is ABYSMAL. They still use key locks and the lock system on the door of the room I stayed in was so rickety it's amazing it worked at all. There was only one key to my room and the desk clerk told me at least three times during my two-day stay to "be sure I return my key before I leave" because " some guests have left and not returned their key and it has caused ALL kinds of problems...." It was so annoying, not to mention highlighting the fact that the hotel hasn't done a thing to make things right for their customers for a very long time.

Even though I was repulsed by this place from the moment I walked in, I did not complain about anything. I'm not a hotel diva. I can handle un-fancy. I don't need services and amenities. I brought my own linens and the bed was comfortable. That was the one redeeming thing about my stay and 1/2 of the reason was because of my own linens.

There's no excuse for a filthy room, rotten customer service, and stealing, though, and that's what I got at this place. Then, for the desk clerk on duty to argue with me after discovering that the other desk clerk had pocketed my pet fee and then charged my room?!! That really irked me. He should have been kissing my butt and thanking me for my business. The nerve!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 30, 2013

we have stayed here many times, we just love the area. the room was clean and comfortable. no radio in the room,jim had one to our room in 5 min.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

The Herrington Inn & Spa
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
#5 of 11 in Saint Charles

Been to Super 8 St. Charles? Share your experiences!