“Great Mid Level Hotel”

Best Western Inn of St. Charles
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Saint Charles
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I originally chose this hotel based on location and price within this category of hotel. It's in an area with lots of retail & food, close to my office, and within a few miles is beautiful downtown St. Charles. I stay at this hotel on a regular basis because of the good experience that I always have.

My review takes into consideration the category of this hotel as 'mid level', not budget and not high level or luxury. I usually stay at mid or high level hotels. First I must be clear that I always stay in the 'Business Class' rooms at this hotel. These rooms are spacious, in a separate building from the main hotel (but right next to it) and they cost just a little more. This review is based on those and I cannot speak to their normal rooms. Note that I only gave a very good rating in the Rooms category because of a couple items I mentioned below, but the other positives for the room just about offset those.

Things that I appreciate are:
- spacious rooms that are almost twice the size of a typical room
- quiet rooms - I never hear anyone on the upper floor when I'm on the first floor and never hear anyone beside me other than a closing room door from the hall
- separate tub/toilet and sink areas providing a little more space for each
- medium size refrigerator (w/small freezer space) and microwave in each room
- above average decor, fixtures and furniture
- comfortable bed (I like beds with some support - not too firm, not too soft)
- excellent pillows (some heavy and feathery feeling which I like, some semi-firm - they usually have two of each)
- heating/cooling unit is quieter than most (I can't sleep when the heater starts up with an abrupt loud noise in the middle of the night)
- internet has good bandwidth so you don't have to wait forever for pages to load
- the staff is always friendly and accommodating

There are only two things that I can be critical about, and both are pretty small items:
- the hangers are the type that wrap around the rod and you cannot remove them - they're functional, but I feel like it's something you expect to find in a budget hotel
- the phones are not speaker phones so you can't talk hands free while working on the computer - not a big deal, just one of my 'nice to haves'

Overall, I always have a good experience at this hotel. If an issue arises, which has only been once with the internet for the twenty or so times I've stayed there, the staff is very interested in taking care of it as quickly as possible. This particular problem was a bad router and they immediately moved me to another room which took care of it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
BWSTCHARLES, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2011

Thank You for taking the time to give us a review.
We truly appreciate it.
Best Western Staff

Reviewed February 2, 2011

We stay at this Best Western about once a quarter visiting family. It is always the best deal around St. Charles. I am a Best Western Rewards member and this is one of the few Best Western's I can count on to get room upgrades, etc. per the rewards program. Staff always friendly and helpful, breakfast bar always appealing, housekeeping does a good job during your stay - rooms are always clean and this is one of the few places where you still get 4 bath towels (as opposed to 2 or 3). Yes, the rooms are not all necessarily the height of fashion, but we are sleeping and showering here - don't need resort quality furnishings. Rooms have microwave, frig and wifi and computer/printer is available in the breakfast bar. I will continue booking at this Best Western as long as they provide clean rooms at a reasonable price!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
BWSTCHARLES, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2011

Glad you enjoyed your stay. See you soon.
Thank You for taking the time to give us a review.

Reviewed January 27, 2011

I was staying in St,. Charles, IL attending a trade show. The show was being held in the convention space in a nearby hotel, but I chose to stay several blocks away at the Best Western Inn of St. Chares.

The rooms are large with comfortable beds and pillows, good lighting at the desk / workstation and comfortable armchairs with good lighting for reading. The room had a coffee maker, microwave and fridge, all of which I used.

The hotel is a motor court with lots of good parking.

The complimentary continental breakfast was more than adequate with a selection of cold and hot cereals, hard-cooked eggs, yogurt, milk, a variety of breakfast pastries and breads, waffle makers, juice, tea, hot chocolate and coffee. Coffee and tea were available at all times. The hotel also had a coin-operated clothes washer and dryer.

The staff were excellent and very accommodating. I had a number of packages and trade show supplies shipped to the hotel and they were all ready and waiting for me when I arrived.

Overall the hotel met or exceeded my expectations and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
BWSTCHARLES, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We constantly strive on customer service.
Best Western I-CARE program has been implemented with all front desk associates and Housekeeping staff.
We love to see happy guests.
We Look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed January 22, 2011

We have stayed at this motel for at least 14 years. We love it !!!!!! The convenience of staying where I can park my vehicle right outside my door and enjoy a very nice clean refreshing room with a staff that is very responsible.. The workout room is well equipped
for everyone's needs and the pool is just perfect for summer enjoyment. I would recommend anyone to try this establishment and they won't be disappointed..

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
BWSTCHARLES, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2011

We enjoy seeing you each month. Thank You for taking the time/effort to place a review.
This is greatly appreciated by all of the staff at Best Western Inn of St. Charles.

Reviewed October 11, 2010

We choose this hotel because it's great for dogs. It also has a 24 hour laundry room which we need whenever we take long road trips.

This hotel is seriously out-dated. Our room had heavy, garish "Victorian" drawing room drapes (just ghastly), and it was musty and smelled a bit like stale smoke.

The bathroom was not the greatest. It was small and really needed a good cleaning. On the surface it looked okay, but the baseboards were really dirty.

The TV had a poor picture quality.

The beds were saggy and the bedspreads were really ugly. This property needs new beds and bedding.

The breakfast room is extremely small, disorganized, and food provided is not great.

On the plus side - friendly, accomodating staff.

I'm barely recommending this hotel. I would stay again, but only if I couldn't find a better dog-friendly property for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
BWSTCHARLES, Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2011

Thank You For your review.

This gives us the opportunity to correct the situation

We have certain pet designated rooms.

Your comments will be looked at by housekeeping.

Reviewed July 15, 2010

Fair.........The executive building is an attempt to be business without being a business hotel. It boils down to a little bit larger than a standard room with a chair and a desk a couple feet from the air conditioner. The chair is about 3 foot from the bed (2 queen room). It is crowded and dark in the room and has that cold damp feeling. 1st impression is the room is stuck in 1980 hotel style. The room is dark, furniture is bulky, dark curtains /carpet., bad patterns on everything. Reminds me of the days of garage sale shopping to furnish my dorm room at college. The excercise room looked like garage sale equipment as well. There is a very small area ( I would guess 300 sq ft) with 6 small tables that serves as the breakfast area. There were about a dozen people in this area when I went to get a bagel, very crowded and uncomfortable. Standard lower end continental breakfast. The room was quiet, but I question the 100+ price tag vs staying at the 5-6 year old Hilton up 64 a couple miles.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank You for your review.

This gives us the opportunity to correct the situation.

Our Hotel is a older property with an executive building built in 1986

However I am proud to be part of the Best Western Chain and score in the top percentile with Best Western inspections.

Reviewed October 3, 2009

Stayed in "executive center" part of hotel. Nice large room, fridge and micro. Grounds, fitness center, pool all clean and well maintained. A few more selections at breakfast than I've seen at other best western's. Food restocked until end of breakfast. Wireless worked great, PC with printer for guest use in breakfast area. Have stayed in several other motels in this part of St. Charles - and for the value received, will definitely stay here again - the others were in no way $35-$50 per night better than this Best Western. Staff very friendly - kudos to the management and owners - think this is the best deal in the area!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
BWSTCHARLES, General Manager at Best Western Inn of St. Charles, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are priced fairly and like to provide the best
Look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Charles
#5 of 11 in Saint Charles
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Geneva

Been to Best Western Inn of St. Charles? Share your experiences!